Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Used Spec III

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Used Spec III

OK, to start with, I would just like to admit up front that I am a cheap bastard.

Alright, now with that out of the way. Let's get to the subject. I've seen a lot of used Spec III's sale in the for sale section. I'd like to here from some on you guys who bought them and installed them what kind of results did you get.

By and large, when someone says "proper break in done" and "low miles", has this proven to be the case ?

Anyone have any horror stories ?

Of course, I would only consider one from a reputable seller, but still I have my concerns with a used clutch.

Let me know what you think !
Old 02-09-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't buy a used clutch. I found that out the hard way. I never installed it and only payed like $100 for it, but it didn't look good enough to use. I didn't care cuz it was more of a throw in item for what I was buying. When it comes to clutches and TC's I'd say always go new.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buying used products aint so bad if you can them dirt cheap.exspecially a clutch that you send out and get rebuilt.after the rebuild its like a brand new clutch.so call spec and see how much its gonna cost before buying anything.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bump up
Old 02-11-2005, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

I am too a CB (cheap bastid), but a clutch is definitely something I will not scrimp on. You really don't know how it was used or abused, and as a result, you don't how much life is still in it.

That, and a ring-pinion set are 2 things I will always buy brand new.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:52 AM
9 Second Club

spec rebuilds clutches for i think 120$ and they garantee their work on it.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

I'd be wary of buying a used clutch... as Scrude said, you really never know how it was treated, regardless of what the seller says. However, if you get screwed, the damage can be minimized... Spec sells new Stage 3 discs for $175, and PP adjustment can be done by any clutch rebuild shop.

I replaced my Stage 2 disc with a Stage 3 after a guy helping me pull the tranny dropped the disc 6 feet to a concrete floor (dumbass.) I had the PP tweaked and the flywheel resurfaced, and the clutch was as good as new.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nutz'00 Z28
spec rebuilds clutches for i think 120$ and they garantee their work on it.
Do they send you a "rebuilt" clutch or do they rebuild each customer's clutch itself?

If it's the latter, the drawback is the down-turnaround time, whatever it is. But mine's not a DD, so I would take this route. If this thing lasts, I'll stick with it, it grabs like a ****

Quick Reply: Used Spec III