Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do I just need the drill mod? Or do I need tranny work too?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I just need the drill mod? Or do I need tranny work too?

I'm sure this question's been asked before, and I did do a search but couldn't find someone w/ my exact situation. I have a 98 T/A WS6 that I bought last fall. Haven't driven it much yet because of the snow up here in Michigan. All I have done so far is Loudmouth, smooth bellow, k&n, strut tower bar, and a short throw shifter. As far as I know the clutch and everything else is stock.
About 2 months ago I noticed when shifting into 4th under heavy acceleration it would grind before going into gear. It's continued to do that to this day. I don't beat on my car...but once in a while I do give her hell. I recently got back from a trip to Florida and now sometimes when I shift into 3rd it pops out of gear. I'll put the clutch in, put it in 3rd, lift off the clutch, and it'll grind and pop out of gear...I have to put some pressure on the shifter to keep it from happening. This doesn't happen all the time...but the grinding into 4th does everytime I accelerate heavily.
Just kinda wondering what I should do. I'm pretty new to the M6 and don't know all the ins and outs. I plan on doing the drill mod and updating to the 2001 master and slave cylinder... do you think this will fix my problem, or do I have to go into the tranny? Greatly appreciate your help.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I could find the post I was reading last night. I believe they said new clutch, if I find it I'll link you up.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:13 PM
Banned

Sounds like the 3-4 fork might be giving you trouble . If the inserts on it are worn or broke , it will do this . Replace the fork with the steel upgrade and you should be good to go .
Old 03-20-2005, 06:23 PM
9 Second Club

You described the same problem I had before I had the tranny rebuilt.Some people told me that it was because of shifter not being a adjusted properly but I find it hard the believe because I never readjusted the shifter after the rebuild and have had no problems yet! I had broke up/bent alot of stuff in the tranny so I couldnt tell you exacty what the problem is.All I know is that after the tranny was warmed up(before rebuild) the popping out of gear and grinding would pretty much go away.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Launching!

thanks for your help so far guys. so sounds like it may be the tranny that needs work? not just the drill mod and upgraded hydraulics?
Old 03-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Launching!

damn!
Old 03-24-2005, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can try a good bleed of the slave/ master system but I would guess the 3/4 fork/ synchronizer needs work ( transmission).
Old 03-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Launching!

allright, guess i can live w/ that. sucks because i just changed the fluid, used the mobil one synthetic...not too cheap. i read a thread talking about syncromesh, i never heard of that. so anyway, where would be the best place for me to get this stuff? (slave, master, SHIFT FORK, ...) thanks again for all your advice.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

What is the drill mod?
Old 03-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Launching!

do a search, it's basically getting rid of a restriction in the hydraulic line. go to installuniversity.com for instructions.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Launching!

so does anyone know where to buy tranny parts and clutch hydraulics? i'd like to get the viper 3-4 fork, possibly new syncros. 01 master cylinder and slave cylinder.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Launching!

well here's a little update. got the tranny out and turns out the clutch is broken. have a new one ordered. I'm into the tranny now and the forks look good. the keys for the 3-4 syncro were completely broken. there's a lot of wear on a couple of the sliders so they will be replaced. I'm replacing the aluminum 3-4 fork w/ the steel one. I have a syncro rebuild kit too. there's a chip on the input shaft gear going to the countershaft and the spot where the syncro hooks on is very worn. will be replacing that. yeah this is a ton of fun.

i've also gotten a new slave cylinder and master cylinder and will be doing the drill mod. also got new shifter...pro 5.0
Old 06-14-2005, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

uh oh , i think i have the same problem , whether i'm whooping on the car or not going into 4th gear only it tends to grind unless i push on it a little more to the side and gently slip it in. I have a spec 2 clutch in there , and a pretty thin flywheel, i was going to replace the flywheel in hopes that that was part of the problem .. but i definitely dont have the money to have tranny work done somewhere. anyone know a general cost of this ? i can take the tranny out myself. I'm a full time mechanic but i do not want to go inside my tranny ..

Quick Reply: Do I just need the drill mod? Or do I need tranny work too?