Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Vibrating shifter when letting off clutch from a stop after spec s3 and alum flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrating shifter when letting off clutch from a stop after spec s3 and alum flywheel

Just did Spec S3 and its great so far except when i take off from a stop right as i let off the clutch pedal the shift lever/handle shudders from left to right. The tranny bushing seemed ok....

Any ideas? Does anyone elses do this?
Old 05-05-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

No one else has any idea wht im talking about?
Old 05-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Launching!

could be u joints, tranny may not be lined up perfectly could be a lot of things
Old 05-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Default Balancing...

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Just did Spec S3 and its great so far except when i take off from a stop right as i let off the clutch pedal the shift lever/handle shudders from left to right. The tranny bushing seemed ok....

Any ideas? Does anyone elses do this?
How much does it move to the left and right? 1/4 inch or 1 inch? if it's only 1/4 inch it's fine, that's normal tranny flex...if it's 1 inch, that's not normal and you forgot to hook something up or you have a broken mount somewhere.

You might want to clarify...Is this during the engagment of the clutch from a stop? As in: you push in gas pedal, let out the clutch, and as you give it gas you start to get vibrations? That's called clutch chatter and that's normal for a SPEC 3 during break-in. If this happens AFTER you've already engaged the clutch and you are going to shift into another gear, read below...otherwise it's normal, man.

Does it make any kind of metalic noise or anything? Mine did this and here's the reason why i'm now running the Z06 kit. The SPEC clutch disc has about 1/4 inch of play on the input shaft (1/4"!!!) and when you release the disc it flops around on that shaft and causes vibration. I don't expect your pilot bearing to last more than 250 miles. NEITHER of my pilot bearings did before I pulled it out for good. The good news is: Take it ALL out (clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel), get it ZERO/NEUTRAL balanced at a machine shop and you'll be fine. I just got tired of the ordeal and went the "easy" route w/ the Z06. If you are getting vibration after JUST putting the clutch in the car, it's only going to get worse...truuuust me.

- Jeff

Last edited by ws6firehawk109; 05-05-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

have you checked or changed your tranny mount?

my ram will chatter/shake etc, but the shifter doesnt do this. I have a prothane mount aswell. installed just as it came out of the packaging...
Old 05-06-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Guys...first off...thanks for the responses. Its not just the chatter everyone talks about. It does that a little too but i know thats normal.

This problem ONLY happens in first gear when taking off from a STOP(not that ive ever tried to take off from a stop in second....so i dunno). It never does it driving normal or slamming through the gears.

At the very end of letting off the clutch pedal and starting to give it gas the shift lever will shake back and forth violently(1-2 inches or so) for about 1 second as the clutch fully engages, then by that time youve started moving and the shaking is gona and its fine from there on.

I just went to the track and the clutch and flywheel took me from a best of 8.7 to an 8.35x in the 1/8. So i was happy about that but if my description above helps you guys any please advise.

BTW, upon reinstall i noticed the tranny mount had a couple of small tears but was by no means "shot". Maybe time for a poly one?
Old 05-06-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ws6firehawk109
How much does it move to the left and right? 1/4 inch or 1 inch? if it's only 1/4 inch it's fine, that's normal tranny flex...if it's 1 inch, that's not normal and you forgot to hook something up or you have a broken mount somewhere.

You might want to clarify...Is this during the engagment of the clutch from a stop? As in: you push in gas pedal, let out the clutch, and as you give it gas you start to get vibrations? That's called clutch chatter and that's normal for a SPEC 3 during break-in. If this happens AFTER you've already engaged the clutch and you are going to shift into another gear, read below...otherwise it's normal, man.

Does it make any kind of metalic noise or anything? Mine did this and here's the reason why i'm now running the Z06 kit. The SPEC clutch disc has about 1/4 inch of play on the input shaft (1/4"!!!) and when you release the disc it flops around on that shaft and causes vibration. I don't expect your pilot bearing to last more than 250 miles. NEITHER of my pilot bearings did before I pulled it out for good. The good news is: Take it ALL out (clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel), get it ZERO/NEUTRAL balanced at a machine shop and you'll be fine. I just got tired of the ordeal and went the "easy" route w/ the Z06. If you are getting vibration after JUST putting the clutch in the car, it's only going to get worse...truuuust me.

- Jeff
Damn bro a 1/4 inch of play sounds like the wrong clutch i dont see how the clutch would stay on the splines and even function

To clarify though, it is only from a stop and NEVER after does it occur again so i guess your below description does not apply to me...?
Old 05-06-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

couple small tears? yes its time for a new one. go get one...
i'll be willing to bet that solves it.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

my whole car shook for the 1st 200 miles...just give it time and see....i think its just chatter
Old 06-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Teching In

My tranny does this as well. 35,000 on stock 02 clutch.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

Either it's just rough chatter or something is loose. Mine shooked pretty bad at first but went away after 300 miles.

Quick Reply: Vibrating shifter when letting off clutch from a stop after spec s3 and alum flywheel