Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is T56 the best manual transmission for F-bodies?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 03:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Is T56 the best manual transmission for F-bodies?

Ok, so I'm starting to save up for the conversion from auto to manual. One of my first questions is: Which transmission is best for a street driven, almost daily driver with no track time as of yet. I might get into some type of autocross or something, but right now, I just want to get my car the way I want it. I have a few bolt-ons, and will probably be running 4.10's. While I am doing the swap, I'll put in the headers. Eventually I'll go with a head/cam package. I don't plan on nitrous or forced induction. (I don't plan on any outrageous HP.) Almost everyone out there has a T56, so I expect them to say that it is the best. But since I am going to have to buy a tranny, I might as well get the best one for my application, right? Do the T56's have any inherent problems that I need to know about? What should I look for, and how much should I expect to pay for one used? new? rebuilt? Any other suitable options? Thanks for the help.
-Marc
Old 05-27-2005, 06:57 AM
12 Second Club

The T-56 is an excellent transmission-well made, and comes stock on these cars for one. If I'm not mistaking thats the only tranny they actually make for our cars-other then maybe he T-5 but i haven't seen that around.

Just get a basic rebuild kit-new synchros and steel shift forks at the least and you wouldn't have anything to worry about. Theres companies like Speed Inc, and FLP who have transmissions-along wiht a few sponsors and non sponsors-(do a search) that have built trannies-I made this thread ---> https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2975179

asking whihc is the better deal-not a whole lot of responses but theres your price range for buying a built one. Much of these tranny problems will rely on the shifter or the clutch however so be sure you get the right ones
Old 05-27-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best tranny you can get is the G-Force T-56. It is like $4,000 though. However, for what you are looking for I'd get a basic rebuild with carbon fiber blocker rings, steel 3-4 shift fork, along with the other basic rebuild parts.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
If I'm not mistaking thats the only tranny they actually make for our cars-other then maybe he T-5 but i haven't seen that around.

T-5 is garbage had one on my 5.0 only lasted 700 miles and reverse would grind everytime even if the clutch was on the floor
Old 05-28-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What about just getting a used one that needed a rebuild, then doing it myself? (Trying to save a little $ here.) Or should I just get one that's already ready to go?
Old 05-28-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

If you dont have tools for the rebuild you'll spend more money rather than having some one with the tools and experence do it the first time.T-56 is an good transmission( I wont say exelent because it has synchros) I think it would be safe to say its the only trans that will easly convert in a 4th gen...
Old 05-28-2005, 11:08 PM
Launching!

the reverse grinded because it does not have a syncro in that transmission..

btw not your 5.0 youve never owned a car and your 15.. that was my 5.0

you dont even own a camaro, or have the ability to drive a manual transmission
Old 05-29-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SOM98TA
the reverse grinded because it does not have a syncro in that transmission..

btw not your 5.0 youve never owned a car and your 15.. that was my 5.0

you dont even own a camaro, or have the ability to drive a manual transmission

Ok enough being a tool Mr.Goodwrench . The sites not for your personal grudges , atleast have the decentcy to PM me with your bullshit instead of wasting space in threads .
Old 05-29-2005, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00Z28 Camaro
T-5 is garbage had one on my 5.0 only lasted 700 miles and reverse would grind everytime even if the clutch was on the floor
you probally didnt have a world class t-5. and reverse grinded because it had no sycrno. you have to hold it over for a few seconds before you actully push it in gear. the t-5 tko is good ive had one.

Quick Reply: Is T56 the best manual transmission for F-bodies?