Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Issue With Shifter Movement In To Reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Issue With Shifter Movement In To Reverse?

I had a problem arise with my tranny/shifter a few weeks ago but just now getting around to trying to diagnose the problem

The problem is that it's difficult to get the shifter over far enough to the right to get the tranny in to Reverse. It goes in to gear exactly like it should once the shifter is over far enough in the gate... but actually getting the stick to go that far to the right is harder than it used to be. When the problem first arose I had to use two hands to push it over far enough but now I've gotten used to just muscling it with just one hand. It feels like there some type of heavy spring or something causing the resistance. I am currently using a factory Hurst shifter and short stick.

So far I've removed the shifter boot to look and see if anything was in the way preventing it from moving but there was nothing. Shifting in and out of every gear is exactly how it should be. There's no problem at all with rowing from 1st to 6th.

Anyone happen to have any suggestions? I'm pretty stumped!
Old 06-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Launching!

maybe the reverse lockout solonoid, its located on the left side of tower(if seat in driver seat)

try to just turn key on and you should be able to put in reverse and shortly after turn key off, you will not be able to get in reverse.

if there is nothing wrong with your tranny, i believe that is only thing could keep you from shift into reverse
Old 06-17-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally got a chance to check it out yesterday... the tranny will go in to Reverse both when it's turned off or not, with the key in the ignition or out. The amount of resistance is the exact same in all situations.

So perhaps the lockout solenoid has went out?? I have a spare T-56 that I could pull its solenoid off of and swap out to see if that cures the problem but I have no idea how big of a pain in the *** it would be? I had always thought the solenoid's function was only to prevent you from accidentally going in to Reverse when the car is above a certain RPM and/or Speed?
Old 06-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Launching!

sound like the solonoid is bad, cause you should not be able to get in reverse shortly after key is off.
to replace it its no biggie, you can do it front top or bottom, i would perfer from top, but you have to take console out, its up to you. try that and see if that fix the problem
Old 06-17-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine won't let me go into reverse unless I completely stop before putting it into Reverse...I may only be barely rolling but I have to stop. Are you sure you have stopped completely? I know you said you did right after start-up but were you rolling even a little?
Old 06-17-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the help! I'll swap out the solenoids when I get a chance.

BTW: It was at a complete stop with the E-brake pulled. I come to a complete stop before I try to put the car in to Reverse anyways so I'm not sure if it locks that gear out at a slow roll or not.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dunno...let me know how much much of B!tch it is to get to...I may be doing it soon it seems.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supahrich, what was the outcome of the lockout solenoid was that the problem? Keep me posted because my car is doing the exact same ****.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Hey it must be a bug or somethin, mine just started the same thing last night!! I'll let you guys know if swapping out the part helps- later
Old 07-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WANARUNM
Hey it must be a bug or somethin, mine just started the same thing last night!! I'll let you guys know if swapping out the part helps- later
Found out mine was just the fuse-lucky me!

Quick Reply: Issue With Shifter Movement In To Reverse?