Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pro's and Cons's of Aluminum Flywheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Pro's and Cons's of Aluminum Flywheels

I am trying to decide whether or not to go with an aluminum flywheel when I purchase my Textralia clutch. Is there anything wrong with doing this? I would like to buy an aluminum flywheel for the obvious performance gains. But I thought that it might be bad to run a high pressure clutch with an aluminum flywheel rather than a steel one. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always heard it moves the torque curve higher up the rpm range which is the opposite of what you want for a street car. It also makes it trickier doing normal street take offs due to the low inertia. I was under the impression that the Textralia clutch only comes as complete balanced package with a stock GM steel flywheel and not an aluminum one??
Old 06-22-2005, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on what your plans are for the car. Most guys who autocross say go for the alum. because you are always in the upper RPM ranges. Guys who drag race say you need the additional weight of the steel to help prevent you from bogging the car when leaving off the line.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto-X - Aluminum
Drag - Steel

Aluminum is light so it revs up faster and makes more power. The only problem with using at the track is that it doesn't have momentum when you dump the clutch. This will equal in worse launches. It's harder to stop the rotating steel than the aluminum. So steel will grab better on launches so to speak. In autoxing you don't need any grab you need fast revving, high power.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:36 AM
dug
Banned

Its supposed to be great from a roll but from a dig the car will tend to bog. A lot of gear would help.

I bought an aluminum flywheel and plan on using at least 4.30-4.56 gears.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Weight of car is a factor. I've got a convertible with subs, amps, suspension, subframes, and occassionally a roll bar. I would not be surprised if it is near two tons. I've got an aluminum flywheel and have no problems with driveability. It is harder to launch without bogging.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't do much of any launching, due to my shitty rear end. If I ever get on it it's usually from a roll.

Are there any cons of an aluminum flywheels in terms of longevity, compared to a steel one? Also, A&A Corvettes sells the Textralia as a balanced rotating package. If I don't use the steel flywheel, and get the aluminum one balanced, will everthing balance out okay?
Old 06-23-2005, 10:04 AM
dug
Banned

As long as everything is zero balanced it should work.

Fidanza have replacable friction inserts so you dont have to worry about machining.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Fidanza aluminum flywheel and I haven't noticed it causing any bogging compared to the steel flywheel. I did notice that the car will rev a lot faster when driving around on the street and I like that. The guy who did my tune told me the aluminum would not be the best choice for the drag strip. Of course, he's talking about running stickies or slicks. On the other hand, he tells me I should get an underdrive pulley and he runs one on his car and it's aluminum and it's lighter than the factory unit. He also runs the billett flywheel which is lighter than the factory unit. So I guess lighter is better to a point? I don't know. If I do put the underdrive pulley on the car I think I'll go with a heavier more durable pulley since I've already lighteded the load at the flywheel. I'd like to see hard numbers from someone that compares their f-body numbers for 60 ft and 1/4 times with the standard F/W, billett, and then aluminum. That might settle it once and for all.

Quick Reply: Pro's and Cons's of Aluminum Flywheels