Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Powershifting: The right way.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powershifting: The right way.

So, I just got my new Pro 5.0 and Im dying to try some powershifting now, but I dont want my transmission to blow up so do you guys have any tips on the "right way" to powershift? Ive heard that if youre good then you wont "rub synchros." How do I avoid this?

Right now I figure i'll do this, rev 2nd to around 5500 then extremely fast I'll flick the clutch and shift gears as fast I possibly can while standing on the pedal the whole time. Hows this sound?

Maybe I should do it w/ a 2-3 or a 3-4 shift though so I wont loose traction?
Whaddya know?

Last edited by '02 WS6; 07-10-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on the tires u have and the stickiness of the road a 1-2 shift is possible and may be no more than a good chirp. Then again it could start smoking the tires in first when you go WOT and the powershift to 2nd could result in getting sideways. Depending on the road mine will act differently, you just have to get a feel for it.

Your correct though, just stand on the gas and when you reach the rpm you want to shift at stomp the clutch and slam the next gear, if your quick and accurate you won't hit the rev limiter or gind a gear (so long as your tranny is in good operating conditon) I actually rev mine to 6K and then hit the next gear, I never hit the rev limiter either. I bet I'm cutting it extremely close though, cause the factory tach can't keep up with how fast the engine is actually revving, and the more power you add the faster the engine revs and the harder it is for the tach to keep up.

Good luck, powershifting is addicting
Old 07-10-2005, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

I think without releasing the gas, the only way to not wear the syncros is to really slam the gears, i dont really like this idea. I always just release the gas the instant I push in the clutch and slam it back down. I guess its just really fast "granny shifting".
Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I bet I'm cutting it extremely close though, cause the factory tach can't keep up with how fast the engine is actually revving, and the more power you add the faster the engine revs and the harder it is for the tach to keep up.
thats true, if you plan on racing its good to just get a shift light. you can set the rpm to come on, and then depending on your reaction time you can shift slightly after that. after I installed my Harlan light I noticed how dangerous it was when I was looking at my tach so frequently. with a light, you get more consistant and you can keep your eyes on the road too.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

just go out and practice i never had problems powershifting mine as soon as i seen my 6500 shiftlite come on BAM push the clutch and knock the gear, its really very fun, but can damage a lot if not done right.....all a matter of timing really
Old 07-10-2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by BigSteele
I think without releasing the gas, the only way to not wear the syncros is to really slam the gears, i dont really like this idea. I always just release the gas the instant I push in the clutch and slam it back down. I guess its just really fast "granny shifting".

thats true, if you plan on racing its good to just get a shift light. you can set the rpm to come on, and then depending on your reaction time you can shift slightly after that. after I installed my Harlan light I noticed how dangerous it was when I was looking at my tach so frequently. with a light, you get more consistant and you can keep your eyes on the road too.

Its called speed shifting. Tats what I do. Ive seen too many people screw a tranny on ONE missed powershift. Not the chances I like. If I miss speed shifting, it just doesnt go into gear.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:33 PM
wrencher

It just takes practice. Good hydraulics are a must.
I power shift all 3 upshifts w/ a shift light. It is wear & tear no matter what if you do this. Drive the car hard, expect things to break.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wrencher
It just takes practice. Good hydraulics are a must.
I power shift all 3 upshifts w/ a shift light. It is wear & tear no matter what if you do this. Drive the car hard, expect things to break.

Thats right I am on my 4th trans (23k) I just put the last one in last friday (a weekago) 3ed is grinding today And this one was saposta have everything doen to it, even cyroed gears. I bought it used form Ron over at hardcore motorsports and it worked great until I started to spray it. oh well the old one is going in to be proshifted soon for next year.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:56 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by n2ojunkie
. oh well the old one is going in to be proshifted soon for next year.
I was thinking the same thing. I have been looking at the liberty trans www.libertysgears.com
They're pro shift trans's & the face plate sets they're talking about w/the T-56.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

ya thats where I planed on takeing it. I only live about an hour away so thats nice, no shipping. D&D is just about the distance away. I had them rebuild it and after about 2k miles 2nd gear broke. I told them my mods and ask if they could just help me out alittle, I know theres no warrenty but I dont think I had enough power to do that. I told them my mods and they wouldnt believe me! they just told me " YA RIGHT" they said it takes more than that to break it. So thats why I am goign to liberty this time.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Come on guys, Im looking for some technical information and techniques to do this without damaging the transmission.

If I rev all the way to redline and I clutch at 6000rpms then Im definitely probably gonna hit the rev limiter in my stock car. I can shift fast, but damn!

Should I not redline? wont that slow me down?
Old 07-13-2005, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by '02 WS6
Come on guys, Im looking for some technical information and techniques to do this without damaging the transmission.

If I rev all the way to redline and I clutch at 6000rpms then Im definitely probably gonna hit the rev limiter in my stock car. I can shift fast, but damn!

Should I not redline? wont that slow me down?
I believe I gave you some useable info in MY post, which was the FIRST reply you got. I'll add a bit of info to try and help you some more. Hand postioning has played a major role for me in quick, accurate shifts. For the 1-2 shift I just hold it with my thumb pointing up, gripping the right side of the shifter ****, and pull straight back. For the 2-3 shift I let the rear of the shifter rest in the palm of my hand and push straight up, sounds weird, but trust me, it works flawlessly if your hand postioning is correct. For the 3-4 shift I have my fingers in front of the shifter, and where my fingers end and my palm begins, right at the curve on the front of the shifter, and pull straight back. Alot of people tend to "grip" the shifter for all shifts and this is what causes most mis-shifts IMHO. Try these hand postions during normal driving to get used to them, and then let er rip, I'm sure you'll be slamming gears like a pro in no time. I have taken SEVERAL people for a ride in my car and have gotten numerous props on my shifting. In fact, I seem to be the standard in my area for what a great driver/shifter should be like. The look on peoples face or the words outta their mouth after I matted it in 1st, powershifted the 1st four gears and let out at around 120 is PRICELESS. GOOD LUCK MAN!!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm... This isnt really the place to say this, but professional race car drivers (not any damn ricer with a stick) are trained to make their shifts smooth and precise, not just to slam the stick hard... The reason for this is because if your racing and you mis shift because you are trying to do it too quickly, you end up loosing alot of time... and there is not much at all time gained on the course with a shift that picks up the front of the car, just throws weight distribution off...

Once again I said this is not the place to say it, because this is a thread about powershifting, but since we are talking about shifting I thought Id bring it up.

Last edited by Charging TA; 07-13-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:15 PM
10 Second Moderator

Originally Posted by Charging TA
Hmm... This isnt really the place to say this, but professional race car drivers (not any damn ricer with a stick) are trained to make their shifts smooth and precise, not just to slam the stick hard... The reason for this is because if your racing and you mis shift because you are trying to do it too quickly, you end up loosing alot of time... and there is not much at all time gained on the course with a shift that picks up the front of the car, just throws weight distribution off...

Once again I said this is not the place to say it, because this is a thread about powershifting, but since we are talking about shifting I thought Id bring it up.
Makes sense to me, I'm the farthest distance from "professional" but when I dont try to be real fast just crisp and concise my times show it. My 2000 Camaro is just heads-n-cam 346 and stock T-56 I also bought from Ronnie at Hardcore in flint. 3400#s and alot of hard (10.50@130) passes and no broken trans parts yet. Practice speedshifting and you'll amaze family and friends while keeping lotsa cash in your pocket. Good Luck whichever way you want to switch gears, Tom
Old 07-13-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

torkman15 where are u at? my cars in my sig I dont think I've seen you around? Do you hang out in flint?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2-3 shift is hard, harder than 1-2 or 3-4, because of the side motion. Perhaps you should try a 3-4 first. I dont powershift my car, just got to be quick with the clutch and shifter.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I believe I gave you some useable info in MY post, which was the FIRST reply you got. I'll add a bit of info to try and help you some more. Hand postioning has played a major role for me in quick, accurate shifts. For the 1-2 shift I just hold it with my thumb pointing up, gripping the right side of the shifter ****, and pull straight back. For the 2-3 shift I let the rear of the shifter rest in the palm of my hand and push straight up, sounds weird, but trust me, it works flawlessly if your hand postioning is correct. For the 3-4 shift I have my fingers in front of the shifter, and where my fingers end and my palm begins, right at the curve on the front of the shifter, and pull straight back. Alot of people tend to "grip" the shifter for all shifts and this is what causes most mis-shifts IMHO. Try these hand postions during normal driving to get used to them, and then let er rip, I'm sure you'll be slamming gears like a pro in no time. I have taken SEVERAL people for a ride in my car and have gotten numerous props on my shifting. In fact, I seem to be the standard in my area for what a great driver/shifter should be like. The look on peoples face or the words outta their mouth after I matted it in 1st, powershifted the 1st four gears and let out at around 120 is PRICELESS. GOOD LUCK MAN!!!!
Thnaks man, I appreciate your responses, just looking for more info. I'll let you guys know how it turns out next week when my car comes out of the paint shop
Old 07-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Teching In

powershiftin has been said to be worth at least .1 in the quarter thats alot of time. I drove my friends 00 Forumla with the TR 224 and ive never driven the car before and i was powershiftin it, but when i went to grab 3rd it was as if i didnt push the clutch in. He told me it has somethin to do with the hydraulics, can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Old 07-16-2005, 03:33 AM
Launching!

goddamn you guys are so hard core lol... busting trannies thats insane im stock at 62 running flawless... I cant imagine how you drive. I envy you guys for taking it to the limit every day just so I know how much these cars can handle.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its easier said than done, your gona break **** regaurdless, so be prepared for that. Also, your gona shorten the life span of your 10 bolt, so dont be supprised if it snaps.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

3rd is a B. The 1st time that I slammed 3rd, the hydraulics weren't just right. 3/4 sychro. Hopefully that all. Isn't apart yet. Grinds 3rd and 4th and won't go into either gear.
=

Quick Reply: Powershifting: The right way.