Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch not disengaging

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch not disengaging

After some spirited driving yesterday, I couldn't get my car to go into gear. Clutch pedal was all the way to the floor and I couldn't get into any gear. I finally jammed it into 1st and pulled over. After she cooled down, I could drive a little, but it was tough to get into each gear. I have 49k on the stock clutch and since it is an '02 it has the better hydraulics. Since I installed LTs I have noticed my clutch pedal would be very soft after a 1/4 mile run but I could always get it into gear. This past weekend I wrapped the clutch line from the slave to master in header wrap to protect it from the heat, but could this have just held in the heat and added to the problem and fried the fluid?

Any thoughts as to why it won't disengage now? Could the fluid be fried?

Thanks for any help
Old 07-17-2005, 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

Did the pedal softness go away on it's own after it cooled off? Any leakage noticable anywhere? Looks like it may be time to upgrade the clutch and hydraulics.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dustin Butts
Did the pedal softness go away on it's own after it cooled off? Any leakage noticable anywhere? Looks like it may be time to upgrade the clutch and hydraulics.
When at the track...if I let it sit for 5 mintutes, the softness goes away and this only started happening after I installed my LTs.

No leakage at all. I'm going to go out and look at the fluid coloration versus my brake fluid. If the fluid is horribly black I'll try replacing the fluid in the clutch system and see if it helps.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Here is a pic of my 2 fluids.
Left is from clutch fluid resevoir and right is from brake fluid resevoir.

Old 07-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Same thing with mine after i slapped in my longtubes. You are lucky you have done a couple of things right so far, 02 has the updated slave, u wrapped and re-routed the braided line from the master, the next step i would say is get a new clutch and a new master cylinder. I never had any issues when i was stock, but as soon as I did my first mod, I noticed the clutch getting softer and softer, maybe it was because I became a mad man behind the wheel?!?!?! But Get the adjustable master from Futral motorsports, and a ram powergrip or a powergrip HD w/billet flywheel. Don't be frugal, you have to spend the much need money on these much needed parts, it comes with the mods on a M6!!!
Old 07-17-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Welp, just flushed the system with new fluid. Didn't help.

I noticed when I pumped the pedal, there was a squeeking noise while depressing the pedal. Sounds like master or slave cylinder?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Launching!

It's your slave cylinder.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99hugcam
It's your slave cylinder.
How/why do these go bad?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

The seals inside just wear out over time. I think also with the added heat of headers and such the MC swells a bit which causes some internal leakage and a corresponding drop in pedal pressure. It seems to me this would explain why, after beating on it(and getting everything really hot), the pedal pressure drops. Then after it cools the pedal pressure is back. All this with no visible signs of external leakage. That's my .02 anyway...