Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What are the symptoms of a broken tranny mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the symptoms of a broken tranny mount?

I am beginning to wonder....what does it feel like when your tranny mount is toast?

I have a M6 and a Spohn Torque Arm. The TA is a crossmember mounted one that does not attach to the tranny at all. Ever since I put the TA on the car, I had some banging issues that seem to come from right under my butt, it's kinda hard to locate really. This happens at low rpm, or if I don't shift smoothly. The car always had a bit of a thunk when I didn't shift smoothly, so is it possible that the TA just accentuates that being that it is mounted directly to the floor and isn't isolate by that rubber thingy that the stock TA was mounted in.

Also....lets say I coast to a stop in neutral...once I am stopped I try to put it in first gear, and when it goes in, it does so with a bit of a bang/thunk. If I however release the clutch pedal while in neutral, and then press it down again and then shift, it won't do that. What's up with that?

The car has 50k miles on it and never has been abused really, never been to the track either.

Oh yeah, ever since the cam has been installed, the torque arm banging has become more frequent due to the fact that the car hasn't been tuned yet and that it takes me for a bucking bronco ride at low rpms if I am not careful.

Any input?

Thanks!

Manny
Old 07-26-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will get banging under the car and your shifter will shake at idle and torque hard to one side (I think it's right?) under WOT.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

It is Spohn TA WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!! Great Strong TA, but I have/had SAME PROBLEM. What I do, is periodically, there are 2 bolts in crossmember. Tighten those 2 bolts HARD and it will fix it. CRANK DOWN on those. It loosens up like once a year, I get under there, crank down on those bolts, and problem solved.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm...I tightend everything but those two bolts...lol. I think I talked to a Spohn Rep once and they told me not to tighten those but to leave them be as they were shipped. After reading your suggestion, I called Spohn up again, and this time they said to crank them down hard as well. Guess I'll do that...anything to reduce/get rid of that clunking.

Manny
Old 09-08-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I have found from other people and Spohn is that the clunking is part of having that type of TA. Just have to deal with it
Old 09-08-2005, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by No Juice
From what I have found from other people and Spohn is that the clunking is part of having that type of TA. Just have to deal with it
Mine has been doing it too, thought it was the differential. Glad to hear this may not be the case.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Crank on those Bolts till there snug!!!!! I had the same problem with my torque arm and that fixed it!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

you'd know if it was broken, everytime you went WOT the shifter would raise up about 4 inches and smile at you
Old 12-05-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump from the dead.

my car does the same thing.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just because it looks ok doesn't mean it is. When there is no force on it it will seat and look fine. Had that problem a few years ago and finally took it apart. The mount seperated in half. Looked ok at a glance tho.

Quick Reply: What are the symptoms of a broken tranny mount?