Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tranny whine

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny whine

When I am in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear my tranny whines. It gets louder as the rpms increase. People always ask me if my car is supercharged or something. Am I low on tranny fluid or something? (I checked and it looked fine)
Old 08-18-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To the top.

Someone know what the cause is?
Old 08-18-2005, 02:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

trying listening from the passenger seat. it might be electical noise being transmitted from the spark plug wires. I know it sounds weird but i just changed my plugs and wires and the noise got worse afterwards. I think that most of the noise comes from the #8 plug which is really close the fire wall on the passenger side. I have heard a similiar noise in every 4th gen I have ridden in.

Josh
Old 08-18-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it loud from outside or inside?

If its loud on the inside... do you have an aftermarket shifter that is solid, instead of the stock style which is insulated with rubber at the base? If so... then that is probably the culprit. Solid metal transmits alot more sound than a stock shifter.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99camaroB4C
When I am in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear my tranny whines. It gets louder as the rpms increase. People always ask me if my car is supercharged or something. Am I low on tranny fluid or something? (I checked and it looked fine)
Mine does the same thing. ITS NOT ELECTRICAL! I think it has something to do with the gears, but I am not to sure. Sometimes its louder than others but I cant seem to pinpoint exactly when it starts doing it. I am gonna change the rear end oil this weekend and see it that helps it out at all.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Same thing happens to me sometimes, someone told me once that I could be the syncros but I'm not really sure.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does it go away if the clutch is pushed in? If so, it's the throwout bearing.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Launching!

check your fluid, in my truck i had a nast wine and it was low fluid
Old 08-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

The sound is louder outside. I dont think it is the throwout bearing cause before I bought the car it had all new clutch assembly and rebuilt rear end. The car shifts very strong, it doesnt feel like anything is wrong. It just whines is 1st,2nd, and 3rd.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SporkLover
Is it loud from outside or inside?

If its loud on the inside... do you have an aftermarket shifter that is solid, instead of the stock style which is insulated with rubber at the base? If so... then that is probably the culprit. Solid metal transmits alot more sound than a stock shifter.
I think this guy is on to something cuz I do have an SLP shifter and thats about the time I noticed the whine. And I can for sure feel it through the shifter. So I think in my case, its the aftermarket shifter and from what I read, its a whine that I am gonna have to live with.
Good luck!
Old 08-18-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a short-stick, and I just noticed some more noise today in first. I almost thought I was imagining it because I'm not used to driving without the radio or the windows down, but it was definately there. It sounds almost like there is nothing between the shifter and the engine...like there was a wall there before, but not anymore (metaphorically). Still drove fine though. I have Motive 4.10's in the back which whine a bit as well.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you look at you stocker you can tell why it sounds different
Old 08-19-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is on the outside, sounds like it's from the engine bay. It seriously almost sounds like blower whine. I'll try the clutch thing. It's not super loud, just sometimes it's easy to hear and other times I dont hear it.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSWannabe
Mine is on the outside, sounds like it's from the engine bay. It seriously almost sounds like blower whine. I'll try the clutch thing. It's not super loud, just sometimes it's easy to hear and other times I dont hear it.
You should check your idler pullies, and tensioner pulley.

Use a real Stethoscope, or a redneck stethoscope, and place it on each pulley and see if you can hear the sound coming from one of them.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

I've experienced both, transmission, and the absolutely terrible idler bearing whine. The idler bearing of course comes from the engine and is very noticable at 2000-2500 RPM and changes, sometimes completely goes away at different RPM's. I'm sure this RPM can be different in different cases. I've had so many problems over the years with idlers I replaced both of them and the AC tensioner. Each time the bearing was noticably noisy and rough when I spun it off the car. I wish Timkin made replacements for them.
The transmission whine I have came after my transmission rebuild when 2nd gear, the 1-2 synchro assembly, and all other small replaceable syncho parts where changed. It actually got noticable after the first month or two. It has been constant for about 6 months now. It is a whine in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear, but not fourth ,and I have paid attention to be sure. Its not related to the hydraulic release bearing, usually pressing lightly on the clutch pedal will change the whine if thats where its coming from.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AtlantaRTA
The transmission whine I have came after my transmission rebuild when 2nd gear, the 1-2 synchro assembly, and all other small replaceable syncho parts where changed. It actually got noticable after the first month or two. It has been constant for about 6 months now. It is a whine in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear, but not fourth ,and I have paid attention to be sure. Its not related to the hydraulic release bearing, usually pressing lightly on the clutch pedal will change the whine if thats where its coming from.
The same exact thing is happening in my car.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

add me to the list of this.. sorry to bring a post up from the dead but I still haven't found an answer in my searches