Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clicking sound from clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking sound from clutch pedal

when i press down on the clutch, i am hearing a clicking/squeaking sound as the pedal gets depressed. it clicks about halfway through the clutch pedal travel. any ideas? problem, or just normal?
Old 09-11-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Mine will squeak a little, but I don't have any clicking sounds.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Mine does that when I power shift. It is the clutch return spring. I think that is what it is called. From what I have read it is common for them to break and make that clicking. Alot of people run without it.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine already broke. it's something else making that noise in my car, but i don't know what it is.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Starter interlock switch. would be the next thing to look at, might need a bit of adj or lube. Have you pulled the lower cover off and cycled the pedal watched what is going on?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's the spring. GM put out a bulletin on it. I've been without my spring for a few months now with no problems. There is another return spring inside the master cylinder.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it make the noise all the time or just when your depressing the clutch pedal half way?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:12 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
It's the spring. GM put out a bulletin on it. I've been without my spring for a few months now with no problems. There is another return spring inside the master cylinder.
Will GM fix my spring for free by any chance? Where can I see this bulletin. Half of mine popped off and onto the floor. I bought another but have not put it in yet. The other half is still working though, you just don't want the throw-out bearing having to hold up the pedal and wearing out though.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BJM
Will GM fix my spring for free by any chance? Where can I see this bulletin. Half of mine popped off and onto the floor. I bought another but have not put it in yet. The other half is still working though, you just don't want the throw-out bearing having to hold up the pedal and wearing out though.
Just depends on how many miles are on it, what dealer you take it to, and how big of a pain you can be if they aren't willing. The spring is a well known problem to the f-body community, but not to the people at the dealerships. If you complain of a well known problem out of warranty, usually they will cut you a break, you pay parts GM pays labor, something of that sort. Make them aware of the bulletin, I don't know the number right now, I'll try to remember to look it up tomorrow at work.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

like i said before, it isn't the spring. mine broke off a while back and i haven't replaced it. it can't be the spring.

if i depress the clutch fast, you don't really hear it. it's only if you do it slowly. what sort of lube can i put on it? and no, i have not watched it by taking the cover off. i think it may have been doing this for a while, and i just now recently noticed it.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did the spring fall all the way out or what?

he spring is designed to "break over" half way through the pedal travel. Moving from top to bottom of travel, the spring will resist the downward motion, at the half way point it breaks over and pushes downward. There is a fancy name for it but I can''t think of it. It's possible that the bushing is worn out and the spring is contacting metal as it breaks over.

The sensors on the clutch pedal would not be causing this because they only sense if the pedal is all the way up, or all the way down. So they could only cause a noise at the very begining or end of travel.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

there is no spring, it's gone.

what kind of lube can i put on that master cylinder shaft? some noise in the master cylinder shaft is reasonable, right?
Old 09-17-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

They usually come with a little white lithium grease on them.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

the white lithium grease i bought did nothing.

so is a bearing going out in the cylinder? anybody have a clue? i think the noise is getting louder, and i dunno whether to order a new master cylinder or just not worry with it?

Quick Reply: clicking sound from clutch pedal