Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram powergrip HD is a piece of *&%@, only 500 miles on it and its slipping like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram powergrip HD is a piece of *&%@, only 500 miles on it and its slipping like crazy

I had a Ram powergrip HD installed along with a brand new ram billet steel flywheel. worked great for about the first 400 or so miles of easy driving. I got about 6 motor passes on it and 4-5 nitrous passes on it. and that was it, it started slipping like crazy! i was very upset, but atleast I could still have fun with it on the street right? WRONG, the next time I took it out, just cruising along, if i step on the gas anymore more than very easily, it will slip like crazy, rpms will skyrocket, and car will just not go anywhere unless i really ease into it.

I definitley think I got a defective clutch, my buddy has around 10,000 miles on his Ram HD clutch and well over 50 track passes, and the worst part of it is, his weighs like 200 lbs more than mine, makes atleast 50 more hp than me and always launched on slicks!

I am very very unhappy that I just spent all this money and only got about 500 miles outta this clutch.

Ram doesn't wanna replace it, and the sponsor who sold it to me doesn't wanna help me out either, they say its upto ram.

Last edited by _HAVOC_; 11-08-2005 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

That sucks, man. I was at Summit Racing today looking at a Ram HD clutch for my ride. Now I'm scared as hell to buy it. Why would Ram not cover replacing it?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001stripper
Why would Ram not cover replacing it?
I guess because I admitted making some passes on it at the track. but the messed up part of this is that when i asked them the proper break in period, they said something along the lines of, beat the hell outta it. that's why i bought a F$CKIN Ram powergrip HEAVY DUTY! now, if i would of bought a stock replacement clutch, i could understand. but i bought a racing clutch that is suppose to hold 600 HP.

One of the Ram techs told me before that there clutches last anywhere from 5000-20,000 miles. boy were they wrong. I certainly hope that anyone else that buys a ram clutch has a lot better luck than I did.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by _HAVOC_

One of the Ram techs told me before that there clutches last anywhere from 5000-20,000 miles. boy were they wrong. I certainly hope that anyone else that buys a ram clutch has a lot better luck than I did.
Even 5000-20000 miles seem pretty lame to me. Or is that supposed to be normal for a heavy duty performance clutch ?
My POS stock clutch lasted 75000, I beat the hell out of it, and even at 75,000 miles, when it failed i found the disc itself still had plenty left. 'Twas the hydraulics that failed !!
That was before heads/cam tho
Old 11-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had mine in for damn near 20k miles, and it is still going strong. Then again, my car never sees the track, but it is a daily driver. Oh, and I have ram air. Yeah.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Teching In

What a total rip. That is total bullshit. What really gets me is the vender won't help you out any. They should eat a 400 dollar clutch for the thousand's you've spent with them.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea it is bullshit when venders and manufacturers dont bakc up their warranties. I am going through the same thing right now with a shop and LUK (Pro Gold clutch). Only 5000 miles and it slips now. I keep telling them I need a pressure plate, but ehy keep telling me to do stupid **** like removing the clutch pedal spring! I still did that, and what do your know?! It didnt fix the problem because the PRESSURE PLATE is bad. Everyone wants to say the problem is not with thier product but something else.

BTW...what vender did this to you? Just for this boards info and customer safety.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine works great from day 1.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Launching!

you are supposed to break it in for 500miles before you drive it hard........
Old 11-09-2005, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MagikMan
you are supposed to break it in for 500miles before you drive it hard........
wrong! The ram powergrip heavy duty clutches do not have a break in period. I was told this directly from Ram.

Robinator, i made a seperate thread in the LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback section.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:41 PM
8 Second Club

I just bought one recently from TSP and Mike at Ram and TSP both said to break it in for at least 250 miles before any track use or dyno use. Did you use an adjustabler master or the shim?
Old 11-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Robinator
Yea it is bullshit when venders and manufacturers dont bakc up their warranties. I am going through the same thing right now with a shop and LUK (Pro Gold clutch). Only 5000 miles and it slips now. I keep telling them I need a pressure plate, but ehy keep telling me to do stupid **** like removing the clutch pedal spring! I still did that, and what do your know?! It didnt fix the problem because the PRESSURE PLATE is bad. Everyone wants to say the problem is not with thier product but something else.

BTW...what vender did this to you? Just for this boards info and customer safety.
I put a LUK clutch in my car and I have the same problems you are having. Thye told me the same bullshit excuse about removing the clutch pedal spring.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

I have around 5k on my RAM HD and i love it! It let me go 11.6@125 and has seen around 30 track passes.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

I'd stay on ram's case until they at least get you a new one. Don't give up man.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by _HAVOC_
wrong! The ram powergrip heavy duty clutches do not have a break in period. I was told this directly from Ram.

Robinator, i made a seperate thread in the LS1TECH Sponsor Feedback section.
that's like a mechanic telling you don't need to change your oil ever..... of course they will tell you that.... then it will wear wrong and you'll want a new one :-P
Old 11-09-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ElChiefWS6
I put a LUK clutch in my car and I have the same problems you are having. Thye told me the same bullshit excuse about removing the clutch pedal spring.

They will recieve an ear full from me tommarow, and they will proceed to tell me that only the shop can get any kind of warranty. I will then become very angry and yell at them some more and explain how the shop keeps putting me off (havent even gotten a returned call for 2 DAYS!! I have called them about 3 times a day.) Maybe the Buearo of Automotive Repair will help me out. I am on my last straw. Its been 3 WEEKS since my problem has occured and I keep telling them I just want the car fixed. I am affraid that this problem is screwing other things up like the TRANSMISSION! Why did I ever take my car to the shop? I can do all this work myself. Oh yeah, I didnt have time. Next time, I will MAKE time to do **** because if you want something done right, you truely have to do it yourself.

taking deep breaths now...
Old 11-10-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you ever stop to think that the installer screwed it up? That is the biggest variable, not the clutch manufacturer's quaility control. Any contamination on the surfaces will ruin it.

I have a Ram and it has never hinted at slipping.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

LOL...the shop screw it up!? Wow, they dont screw things up when they intall parts! They are PROFESSIONALS. (extreme sarcasim) They tell me that they didnt screw anything up and they did everything by the book and its something else.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, fine. Funny, my car's 4 yr old RAM clutch holds 600rw but yours won't hold hold 397 rw for u...
Old 11-10-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

I feel your pain man. I had a Ram Power Grip HD go out with less than 2k on it and a VDS do the same with about the same mileage. I did more than the break in period, no track passes, and very few WOT runs. Ram worked with me and the sponsor that sold me the clutches. If it's worth anything, I'm running a Spec Stage III and it's been great. Of course, your results may vary. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Ram powergrip HD is a piece of *&%@, only 500 miles on it and its slipping like crazy