Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Cant get into gear at first then grinding....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Cant get into gear at first then grinding....

Well i was on my way back from jersey this morning and on the highway i went to go into 5th gear and i could not get it. it was like a wall, i also tried to get into 4th and no go but then all of a sudden i push hard into 4th and it goes. it hasnt happen since this morning but then my other problem is when the clutch is in i put it into 2nd gear and leave the clutch in i hear grinding..wat could that be? i researched on here and im coming to the conclusion it could be my syncros...also i did run into alot of stop and go traffic on my way up and i was gettin on and off the clutch alot could that have also caused this...? ok well thanx guys your help is greatly appreciated....

andrew
Old 01-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Teching In

any1....some1 told me it could be my clutch? which i think it is
Old 01-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Teching In

i just test drove the car and topped off my clutch fluid....well i can now get into every gear but when i shift over 2500 rpms i grind goin into second and i hear the grind when im in second and then i grind goin into third....this is only if i go over 2500 rpms....below it does not grind...
Old 01-08-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not your clutch, I've got a similiar problem, but no straight up answers. Could be linkage, could be keys, could be synchro's, who knows...wish someone would find out.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Restricted User

You guys can call Joe, from T56rebuilds.com. He's a great guy and can give you more specific answers you seek. He's also a sponsor. Sounds like bad synchros to me, especially if your car is on the 2nd or 3rd owner and/or has some miles on her.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of grining are you hearing when it's in 2nd gear? Is it like gear clash, metal on metal? If you're experiencing a problem in multiple gears it's more than likely a clutch disengagement issue. The fact that you've got grinding going into 3rd gear over 2500 rpm and that you had to add fluid to the clutch points to a clutch issue. The hydraulic clutch system should never need fluid added. If it does you have a leak. The slave cylinder needs to push much hard at high RPM to release the clutch. Sounds to me like your hydraulics/pressure plate are suspect.

It is possible to drive the car without the clutch once you get rolling, you just have to know what you're doing when you do it or you could seriously fry the synchros. You simply match the RPM to where it should be for that gear at a given speed and firmly press the gear shift into the desired gear. IF you get it right you should only have to lightly hold it against the gear for a second or two and it will engage. Holding a gear shift against a gear trying to force it into gear is a very good way to fry synchros, bend shift forks, and break keys.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Teching In

so should i replace the clutch and hydralic system first???? because i was thinkin it was a clutch issue also but then i just my car back from aamco and they said there is a very very very small leak from somewhere in the hydraulics and they heard some sound coming from my clutch and they also heard the gear clashing....and as i said before is it possible for all my syncros to go at once?? because it does grind in every gear and when i shift slowly i feel like a knick when i switch into gears so idk now

also i know what a bad synco feels like because its more less than a crunch right??? this is when im in the gear fully wit the clutch pressed in and it feels like the gears and hitting each other...

Last edited by madtytez28; 01-11-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Teching In

well i was driving the car today and the grinding has gone away?!?! so i am now thinkin that there was air in my hydrualics because of my small leak and i will now be fixing that and see what happens...
Old 01-15-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it was ALL THE SUDDEN, its time to replace the slave/master
Old 01-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Teching In

im replacing that tommrow at noon see if it comes back after that..

Quick Reply: T56 Cant get into gear at first then grinding....