Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Give the T/A a try see what happens.
34.15%
Why possibly screw up the T/A, use the S10!
18.46%
Start with the S10 then try to the T/A.
30.77%
Tell her to buy her own car and learn.
16.62%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Should I teach my GF how to drive stick in my T/A??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 12:13 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ agreed.

I am 5'9'' on a good day with a thick shoe.. But I think I JUST found the perfect seat posistion. Im thinking once I get my racing seats, they will sit a little higher, and It will make the car easier to get in and out of.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Last time I let a woman drive my car she was trying to rip second at 4000 rpms. Never again! MY CAR! Although I would love to have a girl that could rip second and blow em up!
Old 03-19-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

I Taught my wife how to drive stick in My TA.....she did very well....
Old 03-20-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by keliente
lol. I'm 5'3". If I was any shorter I would have to modify the seat track in order to get close enough to the clutch pedal.
Yeah i'm 5'4 and I fit pretty good. Yeah the seat needs to be up a bit, but not a big deal. The way I feel in the car though makes me wonder how large people even fit into these things. I don't have to worry about a clutch though.

On the positive side though, it helps us keep the raceweight down
Old 03-23-2006, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Yeah i'm 5'4 and I fit pretty good. Yeah the seat needs to be up a bit, but not a big deal. The way I feel in the car though makes me wonder how large people even fit into these things. I don't have to worry about a clutch though.

On the positive side though, it helps us keep the raceweight down
Ya im 6'2 230lbs and its not to bad for me lol. Granted i bascially sit in the back seat to drive but its all good
Old 03-23-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1mightymouse
Ya im 6'2 230lbs and its not to bad for me lol. Granted i bascially sit in the back seat to drive but its all good
Same here
Old 03-28-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

hehe just kidding. Sorry I don't have any advice for ya.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:58 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

teach her how to drive it who else will drive you home when wasted?
Old 08-21-2006, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

My father taught me how to drive stick on a dirt road in an Isuzu pickup... I was 15 at the time. Then at 21 I haven't driven stick since and bought an M6 TA and it had an aluminum flywheel with centerforce clutch. I had to drive it around for about 15 minutes before I felt like leaving the neighborhood. I stalled it quite a bit but I'm pretty good now. =D just need to work on racing a 6speed... if only the T56 wasn't such a notchy piece of ****.

I'm not a girl though, and I would have her play like Forza Motorsport or some other video game and get good at shifting a car at the right rpm's in a video game. It helps me, I can hear the exhaust. I swear I sucked at driving until I got good at GT-4 and Forza.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:23 PM
formerly 2000blackcamaross (6-25-2013)

Go for it, just don't let this happen!! http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b...b7002ee33e.htm

I know your car isn't this wild but you get my point...easy does it.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

Two Words:

Abandoned parking-lot.

My uncoordinated fiance managed to get my 3200 lb pressure plate 30/30 cammed 4 speed 327 car home once. She refused to drive it after that. She said the clutch was too heavy and it hurt to drive it. She could push it in, but didn't have the muscle to control letting it out. It was a rough ride, but that's what the 9" is for. She later drove it again with a light pedal pressure plate. Much better. Ironicly enough, she had an easier time taking off with a muncie than with the lower geared tremec 5 speed. Go figure.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just bought my first M6. I had no previous experience driving any manuel vehicle. The vehicle is a 400 hp mild head and cammd w/ a built T56 and pro 5.0. With 3.73's to boot. The first time I drove it it felt like I have never driven anything before my entire life. I did pretty good, I only bogged it a lil. Then proceeded to drive it to chicago from arkansaw. It went well untill I got to the 1st toll both in chicago. I then stalled it about 9 times trying to get to the booth to hand the guy the change. I got out of my car gave the guy the money and told him to open the gate cause when I get this thing moving I wasnt about to stop.

I think you should give her a shot in the TA. If she really seems like she doesnt know whats going on try it in something else. Before you start driving you should probably assure her that its not a big deal and that she isnt going to hurt your pride and joy. That should take some pressure off.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000blackcamaross
Go for it, just don't let this happen!! http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b...b7002ee33e.htm

I know your car isn't this wild but you get my point...easy does it.

That had DISASTER written all over it!, lol what did he expect after the "whoops......don't forget the seatbelt"....If that was my gf, she'd still be wearing the helmet . Use the S10, and then go to the TA(esp after that vid!) hahaha, but the TA is no doubt probably a ton easier to drive as these guys have said, but still, if she can drive the S10, the TA will be pie. I learned on a combo of rental/dealership and customer cars(at a detailing place)......which kinda spread the distruction over a few clutches Ive only let 1 female drive my TA, and she had a decent resume....01 M5, mazda 3/M5.....and big......mmmmmmm.....ambitions!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If she ever nags you about driving fast, then she'll finally understand why you do if you let her drive your car.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

i took my girlfriend out into a field in my tj. put it in low range and let her go at it. no way she could tear something up. in four low the thing will push through the brakes off idle so i knew she wasnt going to stall it. and also if she were to get alittle carried away with it she could only do a max speed of about 20 miles an hour. worked pretty good. she wants to drive it when i get finished with the current build but it will have fully hydraulic steering so i'm not sure if i'll let her drive it on the road. no probs on the trail. if i cant tear the thing up, (which i havent) then i know she cant.

Last edited by JeepinBash; 02-01-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Zentenk
My father taught me how to drive stick on a dirt road in an Isuzu pickup... I was 15 at the time. Then at 21 I haven't driven stick since and bought an M6 TA and it had an aluminum flywheel with centerforce clutch. I had to drive it around for about 15 minutes before I felt like leaving the neighborhood. I stalled it quite a bit but I'm pretty good now. =D just need to work on racing a 6speed... if only the T56 wasn't such a notchy piece of ****.

I'm not a girl though, and I would have her play like Forza Motorsport or some other video game and get good at shifting a car at the right rpm's in a video game. It helps me, I can hear the exhaust. I swear I sucked at driving until I got good at GT-4 and Forza.

What the hell are you talking about? The 1st time I drove my car, I shifted it with the peddle to the floor ***** out power shifting!!!!!

I love the T56, own a DSM..........I was able to half throttle power shift with a broken shift FORK!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Messing around with Real" Driving games like GT4 helps people understand things because they can apply to real life..
Old 02-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
teach her how to drive it who else will drive you home when wasted?

That was actually my motivation for teaching my girlfriend to drive mine
Old 02-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

I say go for it -- have her sit in the passenger seat and walk her through the gears while you're driving -- have her emulate your foot and hand movements so she can get the coordination down before she's behind the driver's seat. Put her hand under yours while you're shifting so she can get the feel of the gear pattern. Then find a flat, empty parking lot and put her behind the wheel. She'll be fine.

Just because she's female doesn't mean she'll have trouble.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I say same as another guy said buy another car with a total of $700 or less for everything ..6 or 4 cyl ... use it for few weeks learning in empty places and on the street (accidents that doesn`t hurt) ... then sell it for the price you bought it for or even for $500 ..... hell for that price I`m willing to buy a car teach my kid brothers and junk the car for $200-$300 for the fun that we`ll have in it...(an engine breaking 100-150 wet shot!)

Quick Reply: Should I teach my GF how to drive stick in my T/A??