Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Liberty's T56

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Epic GT
Can't argue with that shift quality, but OMG those guys need to learn about drag racing clutch setups, those 60 ft times are embarrassing.
I think part of the problem was that they were using a lightweight flywheel and clutch assembly on that ZO6. They were launching the car at over 6000RPM, but the tires would dead hook and the engine would bog.

For a proper drag car you really need a McLeod Soft-Lock. My next street/strip car will have a Soft-Lock in it.

Andrew
Old 06-13-2011, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is your faceplated trans holding up? How many miles do you have on it and what kind of hp are you running? I am really on the fence about face plating my trans and looking for some input.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mines got about 15k on it. No problems yet and I daily drive it behind a mild 403 with a 9" and locker. You do have to be on your shifting a game all the time though. Dont want to try putting it in 3rd on the highway, thinking you're grabbing 5th. DOH! Did that once after changing the radio station in between shifts. Noisy! I do drive the hell out of the car BTW.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Mine was in 4yrs before I broke a faceplate on 3rd gear. I'm very happy with it. Like he said you have to be on your game all the time.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have a picture or a series of pictures of faceplated gears?

So i take it they eliminate the synchro ring all together and weld a big wide gapped ring directly to the gear?

If they last longer than our stock synchro rings do then technically its life is longer than stock t56s....so why does there seem to be some surprise on the higher mileage ones?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by License2Ill
Anyone have a picture or a series of pictures of faceplated gears?

So i take it they eliminate the synchro ring all together and weld a big wide gapped ring directly to the gear?

If they last longer than our stock synchro rings do then technically its life is longer than stock t56s....so why does there seem to be some surprise on the higher mileage ones?
http://libertysgears.com/faceplate-proshift.htm
Old 08-29-2011, 05:09 PM

I'll chime in here, This is by far the best and most informative thread I have read since my order of a Liberty gears TKO600 with faceplated 2,3 and 4th. I was on the fence at first and lost my nerve after reading to many comments on other blogs about how a faceplated trans was hard to drive on the street....I had ordered a shift improved TKO600and then called back after reading this thread and ordered the faceplated version. Thanks to all you who have posted here seems there is alot of fear out ther of this trans for DD and you huys really cleared it up. I have been practicing shift my standard trany cluchless and have gotten very good shifting up and down. I have read this is the best pratice for driving a faceplated trans at lower speeds on the street except using the clutch and still shift matching. A slight pause upshifting to let the rpms fall, and a blip to raise the rpms downshift from 4th to 3rd and a larger blip from 3rd to second. I will post up my results when mine is in.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love my faceplated gearsets, smoothest high rpm shifts. Liberty's did my faceplate, and I had the trans assembles by Tick.

Running about 730 flywheel hp, 3150lb car, 9.70's so far. and i have 75 passes on it in 6 weeks!!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

It is hard to imagine that it has been over 5 years since I started this thread. This thread has been a major source of information and dialogue regarding dog-ring technology transmissions.

I no longer have the RX7 or the faceplated T56, but I know that at some point in the future I will have a similar set-up in another hotrod.

Please keep the information flowing. In that spirit the following link should be added to this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...gear-sets.html

The LPE ignition cut module is the perfect compliment to a faceplated transmission. Furthermore, LPE, in joint development with Liberty has come out with a straight-cut, dogring engagement gearset that will offer more strength as compared to the stock gears.

Furthermore, we should also mention Keisler and the PPG gearset that they currently offer.

http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/page.asp?productid=33

The Keisler/PPG and the LPE/Liberty gear set solutions are obviously more expensive than the modified stock gears that are offered by Liberty, but clearly they have an advantage of higher torque capacity and the choice of different gear ratios.

Also, let's not forget the various other vendors that offer 4 speed dog-ring transmissions that can be used in street and in race cars alike.

Thank you to everyone that has made meaningful contributions to this thread.

Andrew
Old 08-31-2011, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Thank you for starting the thread. It help me make my decision to go for over 4yrs ago in a dd car. I like it far better that sycro's.
I have talked to Jason @ lingenfelter and have one of those ignition cuts and shift **** coming when the shift ***** are back in stock. That's gonna be bad ***.
Another thing that compliments a faceplated tranny is my 5.5" tilton clutch.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Thank you for starting the thread. It help me make my decision to go for over 4yrs ago in a dd car. I like it far better that sycro's.
I have talked to Jason @ lingenfelter and have one of those ignition cuts and shift **** coming when the shift ***** are back in stock. That's gonna be bad ***.
Another thing that compliments a faceplated tranny is my 5.5" tilton clutch.
That 5.5 clutch would be badass. How much did you spend in the torque cut and shift ****?
Old 08-31-2011, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
That 5.5 clutch would be badass. How much did you spend in the torque cut and shift ****?
Not sure what I'll have in it yet, but it will be pricey. Shift **** is back ordered. I check with him next week to see if he's heard anything. He said 2nd week in sept for the parts.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure what I'll have in it yet, but it will be pricey. Shift **** is back ordered. I check with him next week to see if he's heard anything. He said 2nd week in sept for the parts.
Are you using the car for drag racing or road racing?

Andrew
Old 09-02-2011, 05:31 PM
10 Second Club

both.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

both.
When I had the RX7 I used a single disk 8.5" Quarter Master clutch. That worked quite well and it made for much quicker shifts as compared to the LS6 clutch that I was running before.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails Liberty's T56-clutch_06.png  
Old 09-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
When I had the RX7 I used a single disk 8.5" Quarter Master clutch. That worked quite well and it made for much quicker shifts as compared to the LS6 clutch that I was running before.

Andrew
Im running a full size spec stage 3 clutch with spec aluminum flywheel. Should I look into getting something a bit smaller to take full advantage of the faceplating?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read this entire thread because I am considering a faceplated tranny in my T/A since it needs torn down anyways. I drive an 18 wheeler all the time so I am used to drive trannys with no synchros anyhow. I guess it wouldn't be that hard to transfer that knowledge over. I am just worried about how much mileage you can get out of them because my car gets driven a bit. Probably 8k a year or so.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

I dd'ed mine when I use to have to drive to work. They hold up fine.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:10 PM

My Liberty race prepped Faceplated TKO600 is in, and with one day of driving I have it licked. It's by far the smoothest shifting street 5 speed I've driven and I can't believe I was scared to buy this for street driving. In one day I learned to drive this and now can drive without any gear clunks, It's easy stuff really. First gear still has synch, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are facplated with 5th synched as well. No double clutching needed to shift snooth. When shifting below 3k all I have to do is wait for the rpms to drop 1000 rpm and it slides in like butter no sound at all. Above 3k I just shift fast and get a very clean metalic feel with no real noise. The higher the RPM the faster and smoother it shifts. This has got to be the coolest upgrade to my car since the A2A, just plain bad ***. Down shifting without noise requires a little more practive but not hard. For some reason 3 to 4 upshift or down is the easyest to do really not much there. From 5th to 4th at speed you need to blip the throttle to rev match with small clunk. If you don't want a clunk in any down shifts just let the car slow down alot before down shift and it's smooth and effortless. This trans can be shifted as tame as any snchronized 5 speed with just a little practice and it will become habit very fast. I'm writing this because of all the neg feedback I read on street driving a faceplated trans over the pst month. There is so much miss information out there saying it's not streetable and that's just plain crap. Anyone who drives a high horsepower street car already has the right frame of mind and would love the very connected and mechanical feel. To me taken out the synchronizartion makes it so much more fun to drive and you can feel how fast and smooth shifting can be.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

I have about 150 miles on my faceplated t-56 and Mcleod RXT clutch. I have not been to the track yet (seems like it's always raining when I can go) but I'm glad I had it done. I can't believe how much easier and quicker I can shift, and it isn't bad on the street.

Quick Reply: Liberty's T56