Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Liberty's T56

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the negatives about street driving are obviously from people with no first hand knowledge.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
All the negatives about street driving are obviously from people with no first hand knowledge.
You might be right! Personally, I figured it was kinda like detroit lockers. Some hate em with a passion, some of us, like me, think they're just fine! If you ask me, faceplated trans and detroit locker are meant for each other!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

I like it, even with the manual steering and spool.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by roh92cp
My Liberty race prepped Faceplated TKO600 is in, and with one day of driving I have it licked. It's by far the smoothest shifting street 5 speed I've driven and I can't believe I was scared to buy this for street driving. In one day I learned to drive this and now can drive without any gear clunks, It's easy stuff really. First gear still has synch, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are facplated with 5th synched as well. No double clutching needed to shift snooth. When shifting below 3k all I have to do is wait for the rpms to drop 1000 rpm and it slides in like butter no sound at all. Above 3k I just shift fast and get a very clean metalic feel with no real noise. The higher the RPM the faster and smoother it shifts. This has got to be the coolest upgrade to my car since the A2A, just plain bad ***. Down shifting without noise requires a little more practive but not hard. For some reason 3 to 4 upshift or down is the easyest to do really not much there. From 5th to 4th at speed you need to blip the throttle to rev match with small clunk. If you don't want a clunk in any down shifts just let the car slow down alot before down shift and it's smooth and effortless. This trans can be shifted as tame as any snchronized 5 speed with just a little practice and it will become habit very fast. I'm writing this because of all the neg feedback I read on street driving a faceplated trans over the pst month. There is so much miss information out there saying it's not streetable and that's just plain crap. Anyone who drives a high horsepower street car already has the right frame of mind and would love the very connected and mechanical feel. To me taken out the synchronizartion makes it so much more fun to drive and you can feel how fast and smooth shifting can be.
Nice summary.

Andrew
Old 09-25-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

I already have a built t56, im definently never going auto, so when i pull everything out this year for the new motor, im gonna send it out for faceplating, cant wait !!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:11 PM

Anybody have a faceplated trans. In the Chicago land area that would give me a ride(I got beer) so I can check it out firsthand?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you get down to Spfld ever, let me know. Too bad its 3 hrs though.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
If you get down to Spfld ever, let me know. Too bad its 3 hrs though.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I am most likely going to faceplate my trans just thought it would be nice to ride in one. I plan on pulling it out in the next couple of weeks wish I would of thought of this "ride-along" earlier.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Im installing my Liberty Faceplated trans, Spec 5 clutch and SFI Bell housing this weekend. I hope to have some videos of street driving if the rain/snow stays away. Should be interesting.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:46 PM

I just found out that I can not face plate a corvette trans. There's not enough gear left to weld the faceplated gear on after they cut the double blocker rings off. So after I buy a new gear set I might as well spend a little more and get a tr6060.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question for you guys, I have already brought all of the stage 2 parts to rebuild my t56 (billet 1-2 & 3-4 shift keys, bronze shift fork pads 1-6, steel 3-4 shift fork, bronze shifter bushing, new bearings/races and 1-6 synchros, carbon fiber blocking rings etc) and after reading this thread I am going to faceplate it while it's apart so I can drag race without worry of killing the synchros. What else do I need to send to liberty besides the 1-4 gears and which new parts do I leave out also what fluid are you guys using, is synchromesh ok?
Old 01-01-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Best thing to do is call Libertys and they will give you the info.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

mines got about 15k on it. No problems yet and I daily drive it behind a mild 403 with a 9" and locker. You do have to be on your shifting a game all the time though. Dont want to try putting it in 3rd on the highway, thinking you're grabbing 5th. DOH! Did that once after changing the radio station in between shifts. Noisy! I do drive the hell out of the car BTW.
Even better when you go to grab 3rd and grab first, done that twice when i first put it in. mine is a tick had to have it apart twice now to fix broke parts and issues.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

has anyone gone faster at the track going to a faceplate of syc? So of the vids it dosn't look any faster then a good driver with syc trans in good shape.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
Even better when you go to grab 3rd and grab first, done that twice when i first put it in. mine is a tick had to have it apart twice now to fix broke parts and issues.
Libertys does Ticks faceplate work, I have seen the lugs torn off at the welds before like yours, usually from hitting the wrong gear. Saw someone downshift to third and hit first and tore one off once.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by studderin
has anyone gone faster at the track going to a faceplate of syc? So of the vids it dosn't look any faster then a good driver with syc trans in good shape.
My experience has been take your quickest syncroed run and consistently hit that number or better. I did it because I was sick of breaking syncro stuff.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Libertys does Ticks faceplate work, I have seen the lugs torn off at the welds before like yours, usually from hitting the wrong gear. Saw someone downshift to third and hit first and tore one off once.
When I talked to Amber @ sixspeeds about doing my faceplating, she said joe welds the rings on, then clearances the liberty shift slider whereas liberty grinds the welds for clearance and this takes away from the integrity of the weld. When I got all my stuff back from them (sixspeeds) I test fit everything and had to hone the gear bores for clearance since welding the rings on shrinks the bores AND I chucked the sliders in the lathe to clearance them for the welds on the gear rings on 3rd/4th. I think I was one of the last people to get my trans back from them BTW before everything blew up with their business and I wasnt too upset having to do the fit work myself....especially in hindsight.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

I could understand if it was first or third
Old 01-02-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

When I talked to Amber @ sixspeeds about doing my faceplating, she said joe welds the rings on, then clearances the liberty shift slider whereas liberty grinds the welds for clearance and this takes away from the integrity of the weld. When I got all my stuff back from them (sixspeeds) I test fit everything and had to hone the gear bores for clearance since welding the rings on shrinks the bores AND I chucked the sliders in the lathe to clearance them for the welds on the gear rings on 3rd/4th. I think I was one of the last people to get my trans back from them BTW before everything blew up with their business and I wasnt too upset having to do the fit work myself....especially in hindsight.
Yeah looking at the welds on mine I am slightly disappointed. In hindsight this is the last faceplated trans I own. I am suprised no one makes a new gear out of better material with the faceplated lugs already made instead of machining syncro teeth off then welding lug on the grinding and polishing and honing etc. What amazes me is they talk about making wider gears on the magnums etc and redesign the key mechanism but still make the syncro teeth tiny isnt that the most important part?

I really want to see a magnum out of a high horsepower car and see what is torn up in it.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
I could understand if it was first or third
I may just not hear of it, but I don't see alot of rings torn off. I suppose a heavy vehicle with lots of power or continued clutchless shifting.

Quick Reply: Liberty's T56