Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: What do you do?
+ I dont think there's anything wrong with powershifting, I do it all the time.
19.25%
+ I do, but not that often, I think it takes a toll on the clutch.
43.58%
- I tried it once and it scared the hell outta me, never again.
6.42%
- Never, a clutch is not made to do that.
24.34%
- I'm a n00b ban me.
6.42%
Voters: 452. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Powershifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006 | 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm glad you have someone to back you up, how unfortunate for me.

Honestly, I'm just trolling the internet causing trouble I've never even owned a manually shifted car. I can barely drive an automatic for that matter. So, I really don't have any idea what I'm talking about. Shift however you want to shift, who cares.

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 07-31-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2006 | 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are back on the gas before you let off the clutch, what is the point of letting off the gas at all?
Old 08-01-2006 | 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm off the gas while the shifter is moving.
Old 08-02-2006 | 01:25 AM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

At least your statement about being a troll explains the shitty attitude.
Old 08-02-2006 | 03:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gametech
At least your statement about being a troll explains the shitty attitude.
Maybe it's my shitty attitude that explains my being a troll. Now to find our what your problem is.
Old 08-03-2006 | 05:31 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Thumbs down

Powershifting is key.

My factory clutch lasted 25k with lots of hard shifting. I broke most of the factory suspension pieces/driveshaft/rearend in the process... But the clutch lasted.

Next up for me is either a 12 bolt, or a 9" if I can make it fit. Then a Gforce T56 and a Mcleod twin disc to follow with a CF driveshaft.

For now I'm running an auto rear, all new LG suspension and LPE driveshaft. I should have the Spec 3 in this weekend if all goes as planned.

These cars were meant to be beat. They certainly aren't good for anything else. A weekend beating is all I ask...

EDIT: Wow just went back and read page 2/3. LMAO at most of those replys.

-Buy an auto car if you want to power shift

-Powershifting does not make a difference

Letting off the gas isn't powershifting BTW....

Obviously you've never seen anyone row through some gears. If done right, there's no hesitation at all, all you hear is the RPMs drop.

You guys need to get out more.

Last edited by BAD ASS TA WS6; 08-03-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-04-2006 | 03:05 PM
12 Second Club
20 Year Member

IMHO I think it's hard on the drivetrain in general... Especially us stock 10 bolt guys... It'd grenade if I speed shift it on DR's. Used to do it all the time in my 95Z and my TA when it was stock on yokahama street tires, and stock clutch, but that was because it would slip, not the RAM.
Old 08-09-2006 | 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

No. I used to do it with my LS6 clutch and it only lasted ~20,000 miles before the springs on the pressure plate gave out and the plate collapsed. Im a slow shifter, I'd rather get it in the gear 100% of the time then to waste a good launch and miss a gear.
Old 08-09-2006 | 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

never tried it, and probably wont, I got syncro problems too. but if you ask me to try it in someone else's car, sure, why not
Old 08-09-2006 | 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

I do it once in a while
Old 08-13-2006 | 07:21 PM
12 Second Club

If im on DR I do it from the 1-2 shift. I havent in awhile for the 2-3(ive blown 3rd gear twice now) and always for the 3-4 shift. I like it cause it keeps the cars RPMs up and in its powerband and helps give the car a good push when you release the clutch since its higher in its powerband.

Edit- let me add that I also have a Z06 clutch in the car w/ minor bolt ons. Ive pulled a 12.9 on street tires w/o powershifting and im hoping to get a 12.7 on DRs next time out, probaly powershifting

Last edited by FBodyPerformer; 08-13-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2006 | 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Bringing life back to the thread.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...46034297&hl=en

Me powershifting a cam only car. Not so fast, but very smooth. Can't hear the revs climb during shifts however foot never came off the floor. That was with a stock shifter. Pro 5.0 now.. a good bit faster.
Old 09-02-2006 | 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

you want to be fast or not? are you wiliing to drive your car hard? powershifting drop tenths, well it did for me anyway, that is like finding 30hp. Second place OK, then don't bother. You can think your doing all the right things and grind the gears, I powershift and I don't miss too many gears anymore. what do I know, not much about my SS yet but I do powershift, it is not that big of a deal. The car has to be setup to do it, you need to practice and experiment to find the quickest shift point/rev limiter combo.

check out my shifting from last fall, mustang squimish don't bother

example of what I do: 11.28 qualifier pass

I normally powershift going into 2nd and 3rd and about 50% of the time into 4th. When I don't powershift, my throttle position stays high like 75% or greater, almost a burping blip to rev match. How do I know that, I datalog stuff like throttle position to study what I am doing when I shift, all results in better pedal control. At the end of that movie above you can see my A/F log which shows very clean transitioning, powershifting can limit fuel pressure spikes which can cause A/F spikes which are then reported as flatspots by not just Mustang drivers. So there are reasons why guys have sucess doing it, some obvious, some not. The key is being fast enough and to have your Rev limiter set high enough so you don't bang off of it. If you hit the rev limiter you have completely wasted your effort because it will stumble. Everything like this takes practice, some people aren't willing to expend the effort or beat their car so they adopt the position "powershifting is bad", fine, you are right you shouldn't do it.

Shifting and clutch setup in general is easier on a stang, because you don't have to deal with a hydraulic clutch, much simpler with a cable you can install an adjuster for and get that pedal position nice and high which helps with faster shifts, but the clutches are the same. Well I bought a 99 SS to play around on the street with and just want to know what I have to do to it so I can Powershift it. Drill out the M/C line, upgrade to an 02 slave and of course a better clutch, right? I like Ram so a Powergrip sintered iron setup, like in my 04 last year, should hit hard like I want. OEM type pilot bearing, a matching RAM flywheel. A trick I did with my Tremec T-56 to help with faster shifts is swapping to Royal Purple Synthetic Syncromesh plus a 1/2 bottle of friction modifier, gunna try that too in the BorgWarner T-56, what special concoctions do guys run in their T-56. I can probably make the Hurst work for me, if not then a different shifter, what else?? Can I get the pedal adjusted high? I pick the thing up next week so I am trying to come up with a game plan so you can watch of movie of me Powershifting the SS, can't wait.

The point of powershifting is speed, if it is not faster for you than blipping the throttle off a WOT a touch, or completely coming off the throttle, then do it the way you feel most comfortable. It has to be second nature, if you think about it, you may screw it up. When you powershift without even realizing it or planning to ahead of time, it will then be the fastest way for you.

Just so you can't say you weren't warned
BAD things about powershifting

Missing a gear will spike the RPM's and smash the rev limiter

shifting from 3rd to 2nd is easy in the heat of the battle if you don't use some technique to force you to shift straight forward/back, like.. don't grasp the shifter handle by wrapping you fingers around it. try shifting with just your open palm against the shifter going into your spring centered gears (3rd/4th). Let the centering springs do their job, wrapping you fingers will allow you to try to influence the shifter and "help" it find the proper gate, not good idea if you "help" it int the wrong gate and easier to do if powershifting very fast.

powershifting into 2nd or 3rd can result in breaking the tires lose hard, I do mine in a controlled situation at the track, watchout on the street.

I lean on the shifter, anticipating the next shift actually applying some light pressure before I stab the clutch approx 3 inches, well sometimes it comes out of the gear sooner than you expect, just another way to mess it up, making it that much cooler when you nail all 3 of them!

some more of my shifting
Old 09-05-2006 | 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I powershift at the track everytime I go.
Old 09-05-2006 | 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Git'R Dun!

powershifter cam1

powershifter cam2

simple right?
Old 10-02-2006 | 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

I've done it once or twice.
Old 10-02-2006 | 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

I shift like a bitch. Ban me
Old 10-04-2006 | 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

never... I speed shift.
Old 10-04-2006 | 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

sounds like a good way to break **** haha...I'll power shift when my dad says to me "Son, buy whatever they hell you want with my money, and at any price."
Old 10-16-2006 | 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK02TA
So which do you do and why?

When I say powershifting, I mean pushing the clutch in but leaving the pedal to the metal. Basicly not letting up on the gas.

hell yeah !

Click here to see Video

Click here to see Video

Click here to see Video

powershifting FTW!

Quick Reply: POLL: Powershifting