Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS2 flywheel in Aluminum?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 flywheel in Aluminum?

I googled up the words LS2 and aluminum flywheel and I came up with Spec Aluminum LS2 flywheel and Fidanza aluminum flywheel...

I dont know if these flywheels are compatible with the LS7 clutch.

what do you guys think?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Mine Is, its a fidanza. to check if the spec is ask them if the flywheel has raised ridges along the outside. afaik those are the vette versions. the totally flat ones similiar in design to a ls1 are for the goat and ssr. keep in mind that the weight loss is pretty negligable since the pressure plate on the ls7 is so heavy. at least youre not gaining weight though.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Answer it!!!!

I wanna get the LS7 clutch and Aluminum LS2 flywheel ASAP

and how will they compare with weight, to a stock LS1 or LS6 clutch and flywheel?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
Answer it!!!!
I just did. Read my post again. Notice I'm also running the LS7 clutch with an aluminum flywheel. What did I miss?

and how will they compare with weight, to a stock LS1 or LS6 clutch and flywheel?
IIRC the LS1 set-up is roughly 49-50 lbs. An LS7 set-up is almost 60 lbs.

Now, figure that you lose a similiar amount of weight that an ls1 aluminum flywheel loses (23lbs - 13lbs= 10 lbs loss) and you can see that if the aluminum ls7 flywheel loses you 10 lbs you will be right back to stock territory. I know I can't tell any differance in mine.

EDIT: BTW, spec makes billet or aluminum pressure plates now for ls1s that supposedly loses almost 8 lbs. I called them a few months ago inquiring if they had an ls2 billet pressure plate. At the time they said they were looking into it. If they come out with that that would be your only way to really lose some weight out of hte drivetrain.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackrat
I just did. Read my post again. Notice I'm also running the LS7 clutch with an aluminum flywheel. What did I miss?

IIRC the LS1 set-up is roughly 49-50 lbs. An LS7 set-up is almost 60 lbs.

Now, figure that you lose a similiar amount of weight that an ls1 aluminum flywheel loses (23lbs - 13lbs= 10 lbs loss) and you can see that if the aluminum ls7 flywheel loses you 10 lbs you will be right back to stock territory. I know I can't tell any differance in mine.

EDIT: BTW, spec makes billet or aluminum pressure plates now for ls1s that supposedly loses almost 8 lbs. I called them a few months ago inquiring if they had an ls2 billet pressure plate. At the time they said they were looking into it. If they come out with that that would be your only way to really lose some weight out of hte drivetrain.
No I was referring to every other LS1tech.com member excluding you. I want a 2nd opinion, if not even more.

But thanks for the additional info.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Also I wouldnt buy anything from Spec.. with all the bad reviews they are getting.

If the Fidanza LS2 flywheel fits the LS7 clutch and pressure plate. I may just get that.

But I still want other replys
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
Also I wouldnt buy anything from Spec.. with all the bad reviews they are getting.

If the Fidanza LS2 flywheel fits the LS7 clutch and pressure plate. I may just get that.

But I still want other replys
lol

You asked if the spec or fidanza aluminum flywheels are compatible with the ls7 clutch. I told you yes, speaking from experiance in that I have that exact same set-up, and you want opinions even though you say you dislike Spec? It's a yes or no question

Not trying to be snappy, just not quite sure what it is you're asking.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

lol

You asked if the spec or fidanza aluminum flywheels are compatible with the ls7 clutch. I told you yes, speaking from experiance in that I have that exact same set-up, and you want opinions even though you say you dislike Spec? It's a yes or no question

Not trying to be snappy, just not quite sure what it is you're asking.
Im just saying now that I know the LS2 Aluminum flywheels are acceptable with the LS7 clutch . Im letting people know that I will be choosing Fidanza over the Spec..
'

But Im waiting to see if someone is going to mention a disadvantage with my setup. Thats why I want a 2nd or 3rd opinion at least.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:19 PM
master of the "jack"stand

I have a LS1 Fidanza flywheel sitting new in box...this will not work with an LS7 clutch setup right?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
I have a LS1 Fidanza flywheel sitting new in box...this will not work with an LS7 clutch setup right?
no, the ls7 clutch is larger then the friction area of the ls1 flywheel. Also, the clutch just won't sit in there right. Believe me, I was sent the wrong flywheel at first and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't seat.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Can someone find me where I can find the cheapest Aluminum LS2 flywheel by Fidanza?
does Byunspeed or texas speed have any?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Launching!

For future reference, ebay has a good supply of Fidanza flywheels. Type in fidanza corvette and ls2 and you'll most likely come up with gripforces page. Really good price on it, that's where I got mine because none of the normal suppliers had them in stock.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:27 AM
11 Second Club

I just ordered my flywheel from Ebay.
now I looking for the LS7 clutch kit.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Launching!

got mine from t56rebuilds.com. can also get it from beans. if you do a search there are multiple threads on this explaining prices and what you may need.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

got mine from t56rebuilds.com. can also get it from beans. if you do a search there are multiple threads on this explaining prices and what you may need.
T56 rebuilds doesnt have em anymore.

Beans hasnt responded to my email. and Im getting anxious. I still didnt order the clutch. and my flywheel just arrived in the mail 4 minutes ago!

Quick Reply: LS2 flywheel in Aluminum?