Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Manual Transmission Broke?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Transmission Broke?

I was driving home the other night and the car started to shake violently as soon as I would apply a little gas. It would shift fine, but once it would go over , oh say 1500 rpm, the car would start to shake and power wasn't making it to the tires... It was about the same amount of gas on each gear before it would shake. It took about 1 minute for me to slowly shift up to 40mph... A shop is starting to look at it and they said it sounds like someing in the transmission. I was thinking it might have been something with the clutch.

Anyone ever have this happen?

It's a 2000 M6 WS6 Trans Am

Chris
Old 12-12-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same thing happen to me at G5 in Atlanta

If I eased off the clutch pedal in gear with little or no throttle, I was able to slowly drive and shift through the gears...

But as soon as I touched the gas, I'd get a LOUD grinding noise, the revs would climb and i'd have no power going to the wheels

Turned out the center hub on the clutch disc sheared off

So if any force was applied, the hub would just spin around and grind away at what was left of the hub retainer

Luckily, it was all covered under warranty and Carl Black Pontiac replaced it with a ZO6 assembly and upgraded the hydraulics as well

Then exactly 1 year later, the EXACT same thing happened again

Everything was covered under warranty and the entire assembly (including hydraulics) was again replaced and I was even able to talk the tech into doing the drill mod for me

Then a couple years ago, the slave blew out and I stepped up to a Spec Stage 3 X-Pad and new hydraulics again (no drill mod this time)

And people wonder why I hate my car so much lol

Rick

Aztek T/A WS7 & 70 RAM AIR IV T/A
Moderator @ LS2, FAST LS1, FUELSLUT,
The F-Body Hideout, LS1Turd & ChopperForums
Old 12-13-2006, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Well, I took it to a garage and the mechanic is telling me that he believes the problem is in the transmission. I'm a bit concerned though because the he couldn't give me a definite reason for the problem if it is the transmission. I don't know if he honestly believes it's the transmission, or maybe he's trying to get every penny out of me. I basically had to pick the place out of the phone book without a referral. I don't think there's any honest mechanics down here.

After they opened up the bell housing of the T56, we couldn't see anything conclusive that it was the transmission so I instructed him to just do the clutch.

I ended up ordering the following parts.
gm part number

12570806 Z06 Flywheel Package - $623.16
15046288 Clutch Slave Cylinder - $178.32
14061685 Pilot Bearing - 17.80
10117848 Output Shaft Seal - 48.16

Installation is going to cost $300 labor. They said redoing the transmission would be an additional $1000.00 and since i'm doing the clutch, he said it would be an additional $200 to remove the transmission again if the problem isn't fixed by the clutch.

Here's some pics...

The clutch still has a little bit of material, but is definitely ready for replacement.

Here's the flywheel

and the transmission. Notice the fluid leaking out of the slave cylinder.

Here's some of the internals of my T56.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

did you ever think about the rear end? maybe the spider gears came apart.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Seems like the pic's arent coming thru...

Try http://www.kodakgallery.com/chrishph...re_car_repair?

and

http://www.kodakgallery.com/chrishph...ain/car_repair

I was thinking it might be the rear, however I don't think It would loose power after it started to shake... As long as I didn't put a lot of torque on the drivetrain, it would work perfectly. After it started to happen, I would push on the clutch and it would stop. If I slowly reengaged the clutch and kept it under about 1500rpm, it would work and shift fine in all the gears.

It also sounded and felt like it was coming more from the front of the car.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, the hub of the disc still looks like it's in tact....

Do you have any pix of the pressure plate?

Rick
Old 12-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Teching In

No, I didn't get any of the pressure plate.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Teching In

The mechanic has the new z06 clutch installed, however their having an issue with the T56. They said it doesn't shift. I knew I shouldn't have let him talk me into taking the cover off of it to make sure the problem wasn't in the transmission. It's going to be interesting to see how they handle this. The transmission was shifting fine when I brought it to them.

Here's some photos of the new clutch... It's a beautiful piece of machinery. I've also included a few of the tranny. I just noticed in the picture that it looks like they used a silicone sealer when they put the front cover back on. I thought it wasn't suppose to have any sort of gasket or sealer. Does anyone know if something should have been used?

Clutch pics
Old 12-19-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, your t56 just uses sealant. too bad you don't live around here i only paid $545.00 dollars for my ls7 clutch, ls2 flywheel, and new slave. it looks like u still have that crapy 3-4 shift fork in there they make a steel one now. good luck