Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2006z clutch woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006z clutch woes

Hey guys

I am at my wits end. I have a 2006Z and have gone thru 5 clutch replacements. I am pushing 725 rwhp and 740 rwtq. My latest clutch is a Mcloud Twin Disc without the adjustable Master. Clutch had over 500 miles break in as required. First trip out to dragstrip resulted in first pass no problems. All others resulted in disaster with not being able to shift due to clutch getting hot. BTW, I waited 45-60 minutes between passes. Last night first pass was fine, but again same problem. Second pass smoked the clutch with only a 4000rpm launch with dumping the clutch. I could not shift into any other gear! My next pass I did a much less aggressive burnout and a 3000 rpm launch. Car bogged at line and I short shifted every gear , but at least made it into all gears. The next 2 passes I did the same. So, what's going on here? I know the clutch is getting hot but why? Joe @ t-56 was out there as well as Mike with ICON. They both know the cars history and the problems I have had with this. Anyone have any ideas?

Jack
Old 03-24-2007, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I like SPEC clutches. I know a lot of guys going with the LS6 clutch as well (although I don't know much about it)

The street twin shouldn't be giving you this many problems. Something definatly doesn't sound right (sorry I don't know what though)
Old 03-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Have already tried the spec clutch and what was sent was not even the right depth dimension so it did not get installed. It really seems to me to be a hydraulic problem because it will not even let me shift into any gear after it gets just a little usage. I feel as though the plates are not fully disengageing. I do not have the knowledge and am hoping someone on here does!

Jack
Old 03-24-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if it makes any difference, I have heard of people having issues with their Mcloud adjustable master cylinders. Perhaps this is the reason it isn't engaging or disengaging properly.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CALL911
Well, if it makes any difference, I have heard of people having issues with their Mcloud adjustable master cylinders. Perhaps this is the reason it isn't engaging or disengaging properly.

Did not put one on for those very reasons!

Jack
Old 03-26-2007, 12:53 AM
TECH Junkie

With that kind of power and torgue Id step up to an exoskel dual disk or probably even talk to textralia about the 3 disk exoskel. With 700+ rwtq I would bet the clutch is slipping. N20 car I suppose?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
With that kind of power and torgue Id step up to an exoskel dual disk or probably even talk to textralia about the 3 disk exoskel. With 700+ rwtq I would bet the clutch is slipping. N20 car I suppose?
Already tried the dual disc Tex. and I have talked to JROD. The chatter was sooo bad I had to spin the tires just to get the car to move. AND yes the car does have n20. The real problem is no one has done the R&D on their product that they sell. I am doing it for them I feel like. Not only the heartache, but the money as well.

Jack
Old 03-26-2007, 05:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jscraftmasters
Already tried the dual disc Tex. and I have talked to JROD. The chatter was sooo bad I had to spin the tires just to get the car to move. AND yes the car does have n20. The real problem is no one has done the R&D on their product that they sell. I am doing it for them I feel like. Not only the heartache, but the money as well.

Jack
Sounds like a hydrolic problem. I would change the hydrolics and put in a dual disk SPEC. We've done all the testing with them on cars with alot more HP than your's. Absolutely no problem with 1000rwhp, 6000rpm dumps/clutch slips at the track. Completely daily driver.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

JS, You mention that you have tried one of our units...what part number did you order? From whom did you order it?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Teching In

I didnt order it, the mechanic doing the work did. Just like the latest vendor did with the clutch that I have in the car now. Is it possible that ALL of the units I have had installed were the wrong pieces? That's what does not make sense to me.Let me give a better example. Racing Solutions bought and installed the latest clutch. They researched and chose what they believed was the best fit and clutch for my car. I did exactly as I was instructed to do and broke the clutch in for better than 500 miles. So my problem continues and they are closing up in 2 weeks after being in business for many years. So, what would you suggest? If I change to a Spec dual disc as your E-Mail stated, what would your company do for me if it does not fit? Do you have a reference list current with 06 Z's that your clutch has gone into? I must admit, I liked what I read in your message.

Jack
Old 03-26-2007, 11:20 AM
FormerVendor

Jack, There really isn't anything overly special about the set-up in the C6 Z06. As you will see on our web-site the Z06 and standard Vette use the same kit (dependent on the flywheel that you choose). I tell you this to evidence the similarities between the cars. Your car should be no different than any other C6/Z06 out there. My big concern is that you have had multiple units installed and none of them have worked...my questions is why? The only real possibility is hydraulics...and the subsequent solution is to replace them before installing the next clutch (ours or anyone elses for that matter).

It seems very unlikely that one person could have so many issues with both stock and aftermarket kits. Perhaps you can give me a call so that we may discuss this further. I can be reached at 800-828-4379 x. 109. Thanks,
Old 03-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Teching In

Check your voice mail at work. I left you my number. I do agree with you as to it just does not make any sense as to why I would continue to have these problems. I have been told by all installers that there is NO aftermarket Master cylinder out there for the 06Z. You are saying yours fits without modifications? If that's right WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? I also believe it is a hydraulic problem. Just looking for the right answer and most of the guys on here are way more intelligent about this than I am.

Jack
Old 03-26-2007, 12:41 PM
FormerVendor

I will call you back shortly. Thanks!