Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission or Clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 03:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Transmission or Clutch??

Everytime I leave from a stop sign I can hear a noise...It happens everytime the clutch catches. I think its the throwout bearring...What clutch is best for my LS1? What am I looking to spend?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also when I go in reverse it'll make that noise...There's no problems when the car is in motion though.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the noise sound like? This will help in our assessment of the situation. Thanks,
Old 04-02-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
What does the noise sound like? This will help in our assessment of the situation. Thanks,
Well I had a few of my friends that go to Wyotech listen to it and they said its a throwout bearring. My dad said the same thing...
Old 04-02-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Should I go buy a new throwout bearring at the dealership? Or is their a sponsor that sells for a good deal? I want to also get a new clutch...what do you guys think of the LS7 clutch?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

SSmokin, You can get the bearing through any Dealer but I am sure that a number of the Forum sponsors have this part as well. We carry them and if you would like pricing feel free to PM me. As for the LS7 clutch, remember it is really not that different than your stock assembly in terms of capacity. It still uses a stock organic disc and has very little increase in clamp-load over your current set-up. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 04-03-2007, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

The best way to check is to pull the trans out, its not hard my budy could take his out in 1/2 hr. Also if it is a throw out bearing it would make the noise any time you pushed on the clutch pedal, if it makes the noise when the clutch catches it sounds like you may have some chatter. It is hard to diag with little info on what it sounds like.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00BlueTA
The best way to check is to pull the trans out, its not hard my budy could take his out in 1/2 hr. Also if it is a throw out bearing it would make the noise any time you pushed on the clutch pedal, if it makes the noise when the clutch catches it sounds like you may have some chatter. It is hard to diag with little info on what it sounds like.
That's pretty much exactly what it sounds like (chatter)...I'm taking my car to my uncle's shop in Sacramento tomorrow. I drove it today again and it drives pretty normal until I downshift...Also I was in 6th gear at around 85 and it didn't seem to pull like it used to...How can I tell if my clutch is slipping? Will I feel it in all gears?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

SSmokin, You can get the bearing through any Dealer but I am sure that a number of the Forum sponsors have this part as well. We carry them and if you would like pricing feel free to PM me. As for the LS7 clutch, remember it is really not that different than your stock assembly in terms of capacity. It still uses a stock organic disc and has very little increase in clamp-load over your current set-up. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
What clutch would you prefer?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 AM
FormerVendor

Actually, bearing noise will generally be there with the pedal out...when the pedal is depressed it will load the bearing thus eliminating the noise. Chatter is a seperate sound, generally heard when releasing the pedal and beginning to move from a stop in 1st gear or reverse.

As for the clutch I recommend it really depends on the power you are making. Let me know and I will be happy to make a recommendation. Thanks,
Old 04-04-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, bearing noise will generally be there with the pedal out...when the pedal is depressed it will load the bearing thus eliminating the noise. Chatter is a seperate sound, generally heard when releasing the pedal and beginning to move from a stop in 1st gear or reverse.

As for the clutch I recommend it really depends on the power you are making. Let me know and I will be happy to make a recommendation. Thanks,
Here's all my mods: GMMG, P&P TB, LID, FTRA, LS6 INTAKE, MSD WIRES...
FUTURE MODS: LT HEADERS, Heads, Cam....
So what do you think is wrong with my car? You think its the clutch or tranny?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:46 PM
FormerVendor

Why assume the worst at this point? I suggest pulling the trans and checking the bearing. If it is a bearing issue then it is cheap and easy to fix. While it is apart you can check the clutch too. If you would like to send me pics of the assembly I will be happy to take a look at it. You can email me at Jeremy@specclutch.com. Thanks,
Old 05-02-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Hey man did you ever get this fixed I think I have the exact same issue and think mine is chatter. I dont get it very often at all unless im doing a slow take off when the clutch is starting to grab. In 2 weeks im doing headers and suspension/brakes but not sure if I want to check it out then since I have limited time to work on it.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:10 AM
FormerVendor

Chatter and bearing noise are pretty distict. that being said chatter occurs when you are leaving a stop in first or reverse. It is often described as a pulsing or juttering that happens near the height of the clutches engagement. Bearing noise as I described above is a sound that will be there when the pedal is out (ie completely released). Let me know if you have any further questions about the difference.

SS, let me know what you have found and I will be happy to offer suggestions applicable to your findings. Thanks again for keeping us up to date!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Chatter and bearing noise are pretty distict. that being said chatter occurs when you are leaving a stop in first or reverse. It is often described as a pulsing or juttering that happens near the height of the clutches engagement. Bearing noise as I described above is a sound that will be there when the pedal is out (ie completely released). Let me know if you have any further questions about the difference.

SS, let me know what you have found and I will be happy to offer suggestions applicable to your findings. Thanks again for keeping us up to date!
I actually haven't even took my car to my uncle's shop, but anyway the noise seems to have gotten louder. My clutch also feels like it doesn't really grab. This noise does happen in reverse or leaving from a dead stop in 1st. Also when I get on it and try to shift to 2nd at red line and 3rd, 4th it kinda grinds into the gears at high speeds.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:20 PM
FormerVendor

You need to get this checked out. It is better the be safe than stuck on the side of the road in rush-hour traffic on a friday in the rain. Right...Keep me posted!
Old 09-17-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll be ordering the LS7 clutch kit soon. What ALL will I need to change? Slave, master, & hydraulics? How much will those things cost me?

Quick Reply: Transmission or Clutch??