Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help, I don't know what to do... Problem out of fucking nowhere for the lose.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, I don't know what to do... Problem out of ******* nowhere for the lose.

I sent this in an email to Joe and Amber at T56rebuilds but maybe somebody else can shed some light on this...

I don't have the cash for a rebuild and I don't know what to do, I seriously have no idea even where to start with this.

This morning (monday), I was out driving my car at 8am-ish and low on gas... got onto the highway, and immediately pulled off to fill up because the car started to not like going over 45mph (go figure, right? I had no idea I was that low) ... get some gas, and continue on to take my girlfriend to work, and then make my way home. Transmission was shifting fine. It sat for about an hour, then I made my way to work, about a 5 mile drive, all city, fairly relaxed. About 5 minutes into the drive after the first few lights and turns, my 2nd gear, and my 4th gear, are both popping out under load. I thought maybe this was a fluke and continued on my way to work, just driving from 1st to 3rd. The entire time I was driving, whenever I was in first, I never noticed the skip shift light come on, didn't think much of it at the time for some reason. Let it sit at work for a few hours, then made a 1500 foot drive to the bank, to see if it had stopped. I noticed then that 2nd gear, and 4th gear, popped out even at a stop when a light load was applied (read: slowly letting off the clutch while holding the break while in gear) ... The only way 2nd and 4th stay in gear is if I put it into gear hard, not gently like I normally would during a relaxed drive. I don't want to think that it's my synchro's or something needed a full rebuild... I don't have that kind of cash and I have no experience with doing any transmission work whatsoever. I've been to your shop before, Scott has helped me with a few suspension parts and I was going to have him do my shifter and catback but y'all started to move the shop around so I opted to do a few things myself. I don't know if it could be the shifter, it's mounted at the stock mounting points, and it's a B&M T56 shifter. Sealed with high temp RTV, let it set about an hour before I did anything and tightened it the rest of the way down.

my other thought was, maybe its something to do with the skip shift. Since I didn't see the light come on in first until I started putting the gears in a bit harder.

I'm not sure what to think, and I need info...
LS1tech is down, HPD is down so I can't even ask Scott about it...
I don't know what to do and it's my only car, and I don't want to risk more damage by driving in 1st to 3rd... I haven't even gotten it to a speed where I can see if 6th pops out or not, but I'm just going to assume at this point that it probably will. My driving is 90% city, and I'm not very hard on the car, maybe downshifting into corners and while coming to a stop but thats about it, I've never raced it, I've never even dynoed it yet and I've owned it a year. This is my first major problem and its something I have zero experience with.

Help me guys, please.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

thats weird i thought my car only did that well when i replaced the clutch it stopped it would always pop out of third and have a weird noise whie shifting into 2nd it dosnt do it anymore now that the clutch, piviot pin and clutch fork were replaced. also i notice when my car is about 180d the skip shift stops how hot were you running
Old 04-03-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not hot at all, did it from a cold start all the way up to normal operating temps... thats what really confuses me about it.

if it's related to the skip shift then maybe I can figure it out simply by pulling the console apart and having a looksee ...

it just suddenly happened today, no weird noises or anything, it has me absolutely baffled
Old 04-03-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i suppose it might help to know that the car only has less than 22k miles on it...

this is the first problem I've had.
ever.

no warranty, unfortunately, because the extended warranty that was offered to me was stupid and pointless anyway and didn't cover drivetrain even when buying the car with less than 14k on it
Old 04-03-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a skip shift eliminator on it?? It popping out of second gear could be a malfunction in the skip shift solenoid or circuit. But not sure about 4th gear. I guess it could still cause issues. Try un hooking the solenoid. The light on the dash will probably come on and stay on, but the solenoid should be dead, and you should be able to shift without it interfering.

Otherwise its somethin internal. Ide hate to think that its something inside after only 22k...depending on how hard you drive it.

Justin

EDIT: Just read that you have the Ripper installed too... Do you have the stops set correctly? (if yours has the stops) If it does have stops, and you set them, check them to make sure they didnt start to vibrate loose. If that back stop vibrates loose and moves in on the shifter handle, you wont be able to engage 2nd or 4th as easy. Ide also check just to make sure nothing fell into the shifter...stupid i know...but sometimes the little things cause big issues.

Good luck!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the stops were fine, and the stops were tightened to the point where i couldn't easilly undo them with my finger... the Shifter has been on for about 2 months or so, no problems there at all... but I'll pull it all and check just to make sure.

should I just disconnect the skip shift under the console? or is there another way of going about it? I don't have an eliminator, **** is 98% bone stock still
Old 04-03-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

If the skip is jacked up it usually throws a code.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pardon my dumbness with the skip shift...I never used it in my swap car. But if the skip shift is technically working, but there is a short causing it to engage, would that still throw a code? Or if there is something physically messed up...like the pintle is jambed or something...woudl that toss a code as well?

I think you need to unplug it from the trans...where the solenoid is. But ide physically check the shifter stuff out too. Just eliminate the easy things first..

J.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

looks like i have a long day ahead of me ...

oh well.
going to go get the **** inspected first, need my emissions tag... was going to pull my air system today, but I guess this project takes precedence...
Old 04-03-2007, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

I am having the same problem with second gear and thought of the skip shift. WHen I let the clutch out and its in second it will totally kick the shifter out of gear and into neutral. I can shift from first to second and its fine as long as i slightly hold the shifter in place and then I can let off and it will stay in second just fine, I just have to hold it there initially. All other gears are fine. On downshifts it will esp kick it out of gear unless I hold it there.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sadly, i got worked up for not a huge thing... pulled my console, boot, etc and checked the stops on the shifter, one of the nuts had fallen off and I guess due to vibration, the stop made its way forward enough to cause a problem... readjusted the stop, got a nut from home depot and threaded it in, and basically called it good.

i was scared shitless because of it too
Old 04-03-2007, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

the skip shift will throw a code if its not connected but may not if its connected and malfunctioning. try pulling off the harness that it connects to on the upper drive side of your tranny and see what you have then.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser

EDIT: Just read that you have the Ripper installed too... Do you have the stops set correctly? (if yours has the stops) If it does have stops, and you set them, check them to make sure they didnt start to vibrate loose. If that back stop vibrates loose and moves in on the shifter handle, you wont be able to engage 2nd or 4th as easy. Ide also check just to make sure nothing fell into the shifter...stupid i know...but sometimes the little things cause big issues.

Good luck!

See...the little things... Glad you got it fixed without major surgery!

J.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
See...the little things... Glad you got it fixed without major surgery!

J.
yeah.... I needed to pull the console again anyway to tighten up my cup holder so I suppose it worked out