Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutchless shifting: ruin the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutchless shifting: ruin the tranny?

I have a built M5 tranny in my camaro, and it supposedly has kevlar syncros and reinforced gears, etc.... I really don't know much about transmissions. I just know that it holds over 550ft-lbs of torque without a problem.

Anyways, my SPEC III+ clutch took a dump last night, and I had to drive home from the track without a clutch. I had to upshift without using the clutch.

To get started from a stop, I had to shut the engine down, put the car in 1st gear, then start the engine. The starter motor would move the car forward until the engine kicked in. On a couple occations, I had to use both hands to force the shifter into/ out of gear. The tranny would make a loud THUD, and then it would be appropriatley in gear and moving, or in neutral.

Did I potentially damage anything by doing this? I'm pulling the tranny out next week to replace the clutch, should I have the tranny freshened up while it's out? I really don't want to take the tranny to a shop and wait for it to get rebuilt if I don't have to.

I also don't wanny waste 4 hours stabbing in a trans that is quite possibly damaged.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Veteran

double clutching/rev matching is your friend
Old 04-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Launching!

The clutch really wasn't working, so I don't see where double clutching would have helped.

Seriously though, all I want to know is whether I should have reasonable concern that my transmission has suffered damage which will considerably shorten it's service life.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

you can drive to drive the car without pushing or using the clutch to answer your question.Now the "THUD"sound is not normal as you know.And you say you had to use both hands to yank it out of gear,thats not good.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my car quite a few miles without a clutch. Upshifts are not a big deal, just be gentle and ease it into gear near the appropriate RPM. Downshifting you should double clutch as much as possible. As for the start from 1st, that's about the only way to do it. Just don't try and force any gears. When you go to select a gear, light pressure should be all you need and it'll drop in at the right RPM. Just keep in mind the more you're off on your shifts the worse you're chewing up your synchros, and I'm sure the starter doesn't like moving the entire car.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike44138
I drove my car quite a few miles without a clutch. Upshifts are not a big deal, just be gentle and ease it into gear near the appropriate RPM. Downshifting you should double clutch as much as possible. As for the start from 1st, that's about the only way to do it. Just don't try and force any gears. When you go to select a gear, light pressure should be all you need and it'll drop in at the right RPM. Just keep in mind the more you're off on your shifts the worse you're chewing up your synchros, and I'm sure the starter doesn't like moving the entire car.
I only did it to get home. It was a 30 mile drive and 29 of those miles were on the interstate in 5th gear. I'll assume it's OK and just replace the clutch. It was built with "kevlar" synchros, so I'll assume thier tough and can take a little abuse.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

OK, what exactly is double clutching?

A couple of months ago I pulled a muscle in a football league game and driving home was hell! I couldn't move my clutch leg that much so I decided to try and shift without it. I found that I could shift with no problem but only when the RPM's would drop down to about 1100. Should it be able to go into gear at a higher RPM without using the clutch or does it have to be that low?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The RPM where the trans will shift smoothly without the clutch is dependant on speed and which gear your shifting. To overly simplify it, the trans will drop into gear easily if the engine is turning within 100rpm of where it would normally be cruising in that gear.

Double clutching is used to smoothly and quickly downshift. In a higher gear, clutch in. Blip the throttle to bring the RPMs up to where they would be for the lower gear you're about to select. Clutch out to spin the gears up. Clutch in, shift to the lower gear, clutch out. If it's done properly it's a fairly quick set of motions and you'll get a fast smooth downshift that's easy on the synchros. I usually double clutch my shifts from 6th to 4th or 3rd on the freeway.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike44138
Double clutching is used to smoothly and quickly downshift. In a higher gear, clutch in. Blip the throttle to bring the RPMs up to where they would be for the lower gear you're about to select. Clutch out to spin the gears up. Clutch in, shift to the lower gear, clutch out. If it's done properly it's a fairly quick set of motions and you'll get a fast smooth downshift that's easy on the synchros. I usually double clutch my shifts from 6th to 4th or 3rd on the freeway.

Do you put the tranny in neutral when you blip the throttle, or leave it in the higher gear?
Old 05-23-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't see the need to double clutch... when I downshift i push the clutch in i blip the throttle, move it to the lower gear, release clutch... i never have issues with rough downshifts....
Old 05-23-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by johnnybravo
Do you put the tranny in neutral when you blip the throttle, or leave it in the higher gear?
It's not as jerky as you make it sound. It should be more like one fluid motion. Bring it out of gear as you blip the throttle and drop it in to the next gear. It's pretty easy once you get the feel for it.

Quick Reply: clutchless shifting: ruin the tranny?