Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Flushing Master Cyl.....check it out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Flushing Master Cyl.....check it out.

Some people that frequent this part of the forum probably remember my problems with the pedal sticking to the floor. I tried Ranger's siphoning and refilling of the reservoir procedure 20-30 times, and towards the end the fluid was staying relatively clean and the pedal wasnt sticking as much.

Last night I pulled the trans and hydraulics to put in a Textrailia and after getting the master cyl off I removed all the lines to drain the fluid out to see what it looked like. In the master it was still totally black. Im not saying the fresh brake fluid I put in was now discolored...Im saying the fluid was black as tar like none of it had ever circulated. After seeing that, I understand why I was having the problems and I feel the only way to cure the sticking pedal issue is to totally flush the system...not do the siphon/refill method because it just doesnt circulate enough.

And thanks to GM they made the bleeder impossible to reach I'll be bench bleeding the master/slave before they go in.

Oh...also thanks to GM for making the master cyl such an easy job to remove
Old 06-28-2007, 07:52 AM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ranger's method also covers that, the complete flush of the system is necassary.
That is the only way to get that nasty fluid in the slave out of there.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:11 AM
12 Second Club

what i mean is that even with siphoning/refilling after a fluid flush, whatever is added isnt going to mix with what is already in the master and slave since what i did had no effect on what was already in the lower parts of the hydraulic system. maybe others will have better luck...im just saying what i found when i pulled it apart.

it was clean fluid at the top, and black in the bottom.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:42 PM
wrencher

When you bleed the system out after siphoning it out of the reservoir & adding new fluid. The fresh fluid will push the old out. Then the system will be cleaned out.
Thats what ranger's describing in his write up.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

the way i understood his method is adding the new fluid, pumping the pedal til it mixes, then siphoning and repeating...not bleeding. i think i remember him saying it saves a lot of time and mess on the garage floor.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:02 PM
wrencher

It goes on to say you can go on to bleeding the system out as well. If your fluid is really poor I would highly suggest flushing by bleeding the system out.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:52 AM
King of the radial tires

Thanks, wrencher.

Keep in mind that my protocol is suggested as the starting point and it includes 20-30 strong, aggressive pedal pumps with each fresh fluid refill of the reservoir. Those strong pumps make the slave articulate and create flow. Rapid-fire articulation helps scour and dislodge crud.

Ranger
Old 07-02-2007, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

everything works great now...im just saying that the siphon/refill method didnt work for me, thats all.