Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I broke my slave...WHY??? *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I broke my slave...WHY??? *pics*

So recently I was driving to work and the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. I figured the slave went bad. I limp it to work and try to put brake fluid in it and it just pours out the bottom. Obviously broken. So I get a new one and pulled my trans and this is what the slave looks like:

My setup is: Mcleod master, mcleod single disc clutch with their flywheel. WAS a brand new GM slave. All was put in 3 months ago.

At the time of install I measured the distance from the compressed throwout bearing to the trans-to-bellhousing surface, and then the bellhousing to clutch fingers. They measured the same exactly. I know there is suppose to be about 4 thousanths or so clearance, but I have no idea how to fix that...
So I installed as is.

Also, when I took of the slave tonight, a good amount of tranny fluid came out from behind it, meaning my front trans seal is also leaking...ugh....

Anyway....what can I do to make sure this doesnt happen again?

From the looks of the slave, it almost looks as if the larger bore of the mcleod master(from the larger bore) over extended the slave and pushed the middle through the throwout bearing. However I have no way to be sure. Im thinking that the insufficient clearance had something to do with it.

What happened here?

Thanks for any help. Im not putting it back together till I figure this out
Attached Thumbnails I broke my slave...WHY??? *pics*-bitch-ass-slave.jpg   I broke my slave...WHY??? *pics*-broken-slave.jpg  
Old 09-10-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PS, sorry I only have a camara phone to snap pics with
Old 09-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Is it not recommended to run a McLeod Slave with a McLeod Master. Yeah it looked like there was to much pressure on the TO bearing and forced the Inside Contact point of the TO bearing right threw the outside part of the TO bearing. Call McLeod, but I dont know thats extremely weird and had no idea that was possible. There must have been a great deal of pressure pushing on that TO bearing for it to do that.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mcleod makes slaves??? God damn it, I hate mcleod, they require you to run all their bullshit just to run one of their clutches. By the time your done you buy 1200 dollars worth of ****. For that kind of money, I would rather have just bought a textralia, used my GM hydraulics, and been done with it.

Thanks for the info, ill call them tomorrow and ask about that
Old 09-11-2007, 07:48 AM
wrencher

I have ran the Mcleod master with a stock slave for years. First with a McLeod single & now a twin disc.
No problems.
Sure your bellhousing is not tweeked & that the pressure plate diaphram spring is OK.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

I run a mcleod master with a stock slave and it doesnt destroy the slave, and even more so if you are running the mcleod clutch since the fingers on it need the large bore of the mcleod master.

Too bad my mcleod master juts blew the seals though.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrencher
I have ran the Mcleod master with a stock slave for years. First with a McLeod single & now a twin disc.
No problems.
Sure your bellhousing is not tweeked & that the pressure plate diaphram spring is OK.

K thanks I will check that today. Everything seems fine though.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

I'm sure this probably isn't safe but if you have the same problem with ur new slave is it possible to put thin washers between the bellhousing and trans, or bellhousing and engine, just to pull the trans out a hair to give it more clearance? I don't know if it will effect the main input shaft or stability from the tranny to engine? Or even lineup with the crossmember, it wouldn't be mucht hough.. Any ideas on this?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
I'm sure this probably isn't safe but if you have the same problem with ur new slave is it possible to put thin washers between the bellhousing and trans, or bellhousing and engine, just to pull the trans out a hair to give it more clearance? I don't know if it will effect the main input shaft or stability from the tranny to engine? Or even lineup with the crossmember, it wouldn't be mucht hough.. Any ideas on this?
I wouldnt try that
Old 09-11-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i called mcleod just now and they just blew me off and said they can't comment on factory parts. No tips no suggestions nothing. I've come to find that this is common with them. They just don't give a **** about you. DO NOT BUY FROM MCLEOD.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Today I got ahold of Amber at six speeds inc, and she is trying to help me through my problem. They have been real helpful over there. Im not even a customer of theirs (yet) and she still takes the time to help me out. These are the type of people we need in our hobby, instead of dbags like those at Mcleod

Thanks Amber!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This really looks like the slave was overheated causing the plastic on the piston to melt and fail. Pic is a little hard to see, but is that black extending out past the TO plastic or metal? Did the aluminum casting crack or split anywhere?

If it is what I think then I'd suspect the TO riding on the PP or the fluid really overheating (not as likely).
Old 09-12-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

could be a stupid question and maybe not applicable but is your clutch releasing pretty high? If so the slave might not be fully disengaging causing it to ride on the PP. You said you have the McLeod master so I'm assuming it wasn't, but just askin..
Old 09-12-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok last night I found some stuff out.

When i originally installed the slave that broke, I had zero clearance between it and the TO bearing. This is obviously why it failed. However, the new slave I bought has much more clearance. This one can compress much further than the old one. Im thinking that the tolerances with these things must vary alot, so you just have to check it when your installing a clutch. If its not enough, maybe try another one if you can from wherever you bought. I also checked the original slave and it has a little more clearance than the broken one did, but not as much as the new one. weird
Old 09-12-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

sounds to me like you just had a defective slave cylinder. Was it still under Gm warranty? I would have taken it back for a free swap if it is.