Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rear seal in M6 blown help inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear seal in M6 blown help inside

Ok I jumped on the car today on the way home and after it started smoking real bad. I looked up under it and the bottom is covered with transmission fluid. Looks like it is coming from the rear seal area.

My question is I've had a strange high speed vibration that I have not been able to find that only occurs when the car is pulling not coasting. Is there maybe a bearing on the output shaft that busted causing the vibration and has now made it blow the seal out?

Also how hard is it going to be to replace the seal and if there is a bearing busted will I have to yank the whole tranny to get to it?

This did not happen at a good time for me but I quess it never does huh?
Old 06-14-2003, 10:25 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Rear seal in M6 blown help inside

Sorry to hear it sounds like the trans is gonna have to be rebuilt.
Did you run synthetic atf in it??
I've heard of problems like this when they are used.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My M6 works great with Mobile 1 synthetic in it, and has for thousands of miles so far. Just my experience.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:58 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a couple & heard of alot of prob's with syn/oil.
Bearings bluing/overheating for one & blocker's &/or syncro's getting tore up.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

If your vibration was a bent or unbalanced driveshaft, it may have worn the rear bushing in the tailshaft of the trans. As this bushing wears, it allows the yoke to "wobble" and wear the rear seal. You may find that a seal, bushing and a good driveshaft will fix you up, or, it may be internal tranny problems. But, I suspect that a worn seal and bushing are to blame for the oil that is everywhere....the question is "What wore them out?". I'd start by looking at those parts....good luck!
Old 06-14-2003, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

That's the thing I'm running regular ATF and I even had the DS spun and checked and it was fine. I swapped shafts withn a friend to a steel shaft to keep from breaking the aluminum one and it was still there with new U-joints on each end. i spoke with someone that said the fluid will not come out unless that rear output shaft bearing goes bad and breaks so it sounds like that may be what happened.

I will know more Monday but it does sound like I will be working on atleast that rear part.

Who knows it may be telling me it's time to go with a th400 and get in the 9's
Old 06-15-2003, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

I believe it was one of the project cars for GM High Tech Performance that had the 6 speed overhauled and found it had about 3 tablespoons of fluid in it, it had been running with synthetic oil. When it was torn down, the bearings and most of the "hard parts" were actually fine (no damage). The fluid leaked from that trans due to a twisted driveshaft that also wore the rear bushing in the trans and allowed the yoke to destroy the seal. The trans shop advised that if it had been regular oil (and been driven with no fluid) that the trans would have been almost a complete "write off". I'm sure that if you look hard enough, you'll find problems with any product (somebody, somewhere has broken one...no matter what it is). GM uses synthetic in the Corvettes and had been using it in the Camaro SS as well....but anyway....just my thoughts....Good luck!
Old 06-16-2003, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Well we shall see soon I will probably take it out Thursday since I have to work until then. At that I wasn't very far from the house at all when it did it so MAYBE.

BTW I am already looking at a TH400 conversion maybe.