Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch pedal gets stuck to the floor @ WOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch pedal gets stuck to the floor @ WOT

I just did a cam swap and had to drop the oil pan to retreive a lifter. When I put it all together I torqued the oil pan bolts to what I thought are the the right torque spec's, I did not have the torque spec's for the two bottom bell housing bolt's so I just torqued then to 22 lbs ft for now till my helms manual comes in. But the problem now is inbetween shifts when I go WOT the clutch pedal get's stuck to the floor.I checked the foor mat to see if I't was obstructing the pedal but it was not. Any ideas anyone? Thanx in advance.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Clutch pedal gets stuck to the floor @ WOT

Your clutch can not hold the new found power and is slipping causing it to stay to the floor.
Old 06-22-2003, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx for the reply, I kind of thought that for a second but I did not smell the typical cluch burning smell. I'll check it again. Is there any thing I can do untill I can get a new clutch? I really cant aford one for awhill. anyone?
Old 06-22-2003, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Your clutch can not hold the new found power and is slipping causing it to stay to the floor.
My 2000 M6 did it stock.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

What did you do to resolve your sticking clutch? warranty?
Old 06-22-2003, 09:43 PM
wrencher

My 2000 M6 did it stock.
Mine did it stock also, the "fix" is to go with a upgraded clutch & hydraulic's.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

It happened to a friend of mine. He replaced the slave cylinder on his 99 WS6 and it worked like new. Like the others said, your clutch probably needs to be upgraded also.

Ryan
Old 06-23-2003, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keep the reply's coming. thanx.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also the clutch does not seem to be slipping.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hydraulic pressure does NOT cause the clutch pedal to return to the HOME position. A SPRING does that. If the Master or slave cylinders malfunction the clutch pedal doesn't know anything about it. The clutch pedal only knows the master cylinder push rod. No one ever bother to introduce him to the master or slave cylinders or even the hydraulic hose that connects the two of them together. Your trying to make something complicated out of something that is in fact quite simple. Why not pull the trans out while your at it and put in a new pressure plate and clutch disc. Maybe that will help your clutch pedal get HOME.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the same problem relaced hydrolics, throw out bearing ect, but the clutches pressure plate just isnt strong enough.
need to get a better clutch.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx for the info, I geuss a new clutch is not what I want to hear after throwing over a grand at upgrading my valve train, cam, ect. Time for a new cluch.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

my 2000 c5 does the exact same thing and I KNOW for a fact the clutch isnt slipping a bit. Id like to know exactly what will fix this problem. I have wrapped the clutch line to the slave w/ a reflective high temp covering and i have bled the system and still have the problem. Only occurs at WOT on the 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 shift. SOmetimes it'll stick to the floor on the 3-4 shift and some times itll come back up but be very hard to press in for the 4-5 shift. I've NEVER gotten a definate answer to how to solve this and I dont want to just replace everything because nobody knows. Im pretty confident in the clutches holding ability so i'd like any input. The slave is NOT easy to get at on a c5 so id rather not tear my car apart if i dont have to. Can I use a z06 master w/ a non z06 slave/?

Thanks
dave
Old 05-23-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

try this, it may or may not help, but its free- take off the cover on the master pump the **** out of the pedal and see if it starts to come back up for you if there is any air bubbles in the system it will force them out.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Restricted User

mine does this on my 2001 z28, and it isnt that far from stock. i also was driving one day and a spring broke and fell to the floor when i pushed in the clutch?
Old 05-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Mine did the same thing. You're hydraulic fluid probably needs to be changed. Mine was a disgusting black color. I ended up replacing the whole clutch at the time (since I had over 30,000 on the stocker with many many passes on dr's), and the clutch still had plenty of meat left (but now I can do a cam with no worries of a smoked clutch).

Hydraulic pressure also helps the clutch return home. My clutch spring was broken and would still return home just fine before it started sticking (and only stuck after 4th gear at WOT). I got the spring replaced and it didn't help. The spring is only supposed to help with the movement.

Chris
Old 05-23-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

my fluid is brand new..
Old 05-23-2004, 10:40 PM
wrencher

TT_Vert if you have a stock clutch your gonna need to rplace it all anyways.
The cause varies but as you said it is hard to get to the slave , everything else on a Y-car too.
I'd just be done with it & do it all.
I thought mine was not slipping till the PCM said different in 4th......
Old 05-23-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

well ive been to the track and unless 12.2@112 is slipping w/ gears and vararam i think its not slipping. I can put it in 4th or higher and floor it and rpms dont rise. i also have no indication or odor that says otherwise. The car is under warranty but i dont want to bring it in unless i really have to. Id like to swap out the master myself to see if it fixes it, if not then i could buy take it in.

Dave
Old 05-24-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
well ive been to the track and unless 12.2@112 is slipping w/ gears and vararam i think its not slipping. I can put it in 4th or higher and floor it and rpms dont rise. i also have no indication or odor that says otherwise. The car is under warranty but i dont want to bring it in unless i really have to. Id like to swap out the master myself to see if it fixes it, if not then i could buy take it in.

Dave
My guess is you have the same problem that I have. A leaking master. I've noticed that when I bench bleed the master I pull air from between the seal and plunger. In fact I'm wondering if bench bleeding the clutch backwards is what caused it. Never had a problem until after I did that. (shrug) After the drill mod, mine isn't as bad. Clutch just gets a bit mushy and doesn't stick to the floor. No slippage at all. In fact I bottem out my rear suspension on my 1 to 2 shift. Have to love the GS-D3's.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal gets stuck to the floor @ WOT