Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec Stage II+ fails

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Spec Stage II+ fails

I just had a Spec stage II+ break on me. Less than 4,000 miles on it. The disc hub broke allowing the springs to escape from it and it made it so I couldn't release the clutch. Pics coming...

C/H LS2

I know Spec catches a lot of heat on here but I've liked the clutch up until this point and I had a problem when I first installed it with it not releasing all the way so Spec's customer service told me I needed to get their flywheel or an uncut flywheel on the car so I did and that took care of that problem. I gotta say I'm not impressed with the product I can't see why it should have busted like that
Old 01-01-2008, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Any suggestions on a replacement? The car should be around 400 to the wheels now and I'm gonna be spraying around 150. LS7 seems like a good deal might go that route. The spec 2+ chirped 4th while it lasted.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:05 PM
FormerVendor

Plat...I hate to hear of your issue. I am sure that you and I have spoken at some point in the past and I will be happy to talk with you again about your findings. I would like to see pics of the issue of course and you can email them to me directly. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

wow. thats the same clutch Ive got. has it been to the track or from one to ten how much abuse has it gotten?? can't wait to see pics.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:33 AM
10 Second Club

Lol, hardly any abuse I gotta get my camera but the disc and pp look good except for the busted hub on the disc.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:17 AM
FormerVendor

One thing you may want to check is input-shaft play. If you are seeing greater movement in the shaft than normal it could easily lead to increased spring-cage wear. Just something worth looking into. Let me know what you find and feel free to send the pics at your convenience. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
One thing you may want to check is input-shaft play. If you are seeing greater movement in the shaft than normal it could easily lead to increased spring-cage wear. Just something worth looking into. Let me know what you find and feel free to send the pics at your convenience. Thanks!
Ok, well come to think of it I had a pretty clapped out tranny in it for prolly
1k mi with that clutch. And I probably had closer to 5k on the clutch. I'll get some pics to you, it looks like the outside of the coils wore the steel of the hub to the point where the steel got too thin and the outside of the hub broke off next to one spring causing the two springs and piece of busted hub to jam up the clutch. Is this consistent with wear you'd expect from a tranny with too much mainshaft endplay? The tranny I've run it with for the last 3K is tight, around .003"
Old 01-04-2008, 10:14 AM
FormerVendor

Platnum...what you describe is consistent with excessive shaft play. The play leads to increased vibration that will cause the spring to wear on the cage. In time it can lead to failure. I think you have found the culprit but I would still be happy to take a look at any pics you can send my way. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very satisfied with my (solid-hub) Spec 4. Very streetable and still holds like new after more than sixty 5k launches.

Quick Reply: Spec Stage II+ fails