Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Rebuild Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Rebuild Question

I plan on rebuilding my T56 this winter, and upgrading a few parts.

My question is that if I buy the Viper Input and Output shafts from Six Speed Inc etc,

Will they fit right in? Or does it really need to be shipped to a shop so something else can get machined for the Viper parts to work?
Old 01-18-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

ask amber from ssi
Old 01-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
I plan on rebuilding my T56 this winter, and upgrading a few parts.

My question is that if I buy the Viper Input and Output shafts from Six Speed Inc etc,

Will they fit right in? Or does it really need to be shipped to a shop so something else can get machined for the Viper parts to work?
Six Speeds Inc will be your best bet for accurate information. I pretty positive you at least need the viper yoke and modified tailhousing.

Nice avatar BTW, I have that same spider tattoo'd on my arm.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Banned

The tail housing will need to be bored out for the larger rear bushing and tailshaft seal .
Old 01-18-2008, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the spline count for the clutch the same?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by whyte95ZRida
Six Speeds Inc will be your best bet for accurate information. I pretty positive you at least need the viper yoke and modified tailhousing.

Nice avatar BTW, I have that same spider tattoo'd on my arm.
I have the spider tattoo'ed on my arm also

I did call SSI earlier but Amber was gone, so I came here.

Tick Performance said I would have to bore the tail housing...so far it doesn't seem like its outa my league yet
Old 01-18-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you get the kit from Amber it will have everything you need.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need a modified speedo gear also, and you will need to shorten the output shaft.

Like mentioned already, if you buy a kit you should get everything you need. Expect to pay a core charge on the tailhousing.

Shoot me a pm if you're interested in a package price.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PM replied. Remember we PRICE MATCH all parts.

Amber
Old 01-18-2008, 10:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
Is the spline count for the clutch the same?
Yes it is. Only difference is the diameter past the splines and length of the shaft. We modify the length in house.

Amber
Old 01-19-2008, 06:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
Yes it is. Only difference is the diameter past the splines and length of the shaft. We modify the length in house.

Amber
Isn't it useless to modify the input. By cutting down the dia. of the shaft to fit the clutch it makes it no stronger than a factory input right?Because they are the same size now. It may be stronger thoughout the shaft expect where the machine work was done, right?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
Isn't it useless to modify the input. By cutting down the dia. of the shaft to fit the clutch it makes it no stronger than a factory input right?Because they are the same size now. It may be stronger thoughout the shaft expect where the machine work was done, right?
No the spline diameter is the same. From the back of the splines to the gear is larger where the splines stop. You don't ever touch that so it is stronger. We have never seen one break where the splines are they usually either twist the splines or break past that point. We have it on the race car and we were twisting the stock ones left and right. Have yet to twist a viper one. Shifting at 9800rpms doesn't help either way.

You are not machining the shaft to fit the clutch you are machining it shorter since it is to long and machining the diamater of the pilot bearing area. The viper uses a larger pilot bearing and has more spline engagement for the clutch. It would be about 1/2" to long and the pilot would be to large to fit the FB pilot. That is all you are modifying.

Amber
Old 01-19-2008, 01:49 PM
9 Second Club

No the spline diameter is the same. From the back of the splines to the gear is larger where the splines stop. You don't ever touch that so it is stronger. We have never seen one break where the splines are they usually either twist the splines or break past that point. We have it on the race car and we were twisting the stock ones left and right. Have yet to twist a viper one. Shifting at 9800rpms doesn't help either way.

You are not machining the shaft to fit the clutch you are machining it shorter since it is to long and machining the diamater of the pilot bearing area. The viper uses a larger pilot bearing and has more spline engagement for the clutch. It would be about 1/2" to long and the pilot would be to large to fit the FB pilot. That is all you are modifying.

Amber
So when you are breaking or twisting them it's only happening past the splines? I have a hard time seeing it would be any stronger from one end to the other of the input shaft with the same size splines on the clutch. I would think the hole thing needs to be larger in dia. not just past the splines to be any stronger than a stock one. Granted it gonna be stronger after the splines due to the difference in size but it still leaves a weak link in the input. Or is that just enough to keep it from breaking? I'm not trying to call you out just trying to learn something new.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:48 PM
FormerVendor

It really is just enough to keep it from breaking. Like stated we see the stock ones twist the splines with high HP cars quite often. Mostly the cars that go to the track but a few street cars twist them also.

The splines are a weak link with anything if you are twisting them. Breakage usually happens past the splines between them and the gear. Twisting on the other hand really can't be controlled in my opinion. Other might have an opinion on that but I don't think you can get rid of it. Like stated once we went to the viper shaft we eliminated the twisting problem we had. The viper guys have been making 1600rwhp with the stock shafts for years and I honestly haven't seen them break or twist one. I have seen the actual gear break but not from the splines to the gear.

I learn new things everyday from these guys on the boards. I like all of the questions and don't mind anyone asking questions. That is why I am on the boards.

Amber
Old 01-19-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

An input shaft with a larger diameter past the splines is considerably stronger . Even though the splined area is smaller on the inside of the spline , its larger on the outside than the rest of the shaft on a stock F body inputshaft . By increasing the diameter of the area behind the splines to the seal will increase the strenght in that area . You have to keep in mind that even though the clutch disc area is splined , the 26 spline design helps distribute the load better than say a 10 spline design and the clutch disc is filling in the area thats cut out for the splines . Granted a larger splined shaft would be even stronger , its currently not an option for the T56 . Other units have done this in the past for example : Ford had a Big Block Toploader unit with a larger inputshaft over the small blocks . Dodge went to a larger shaft on the NV5600 in the Cummins trucks because they were snapping the shafts in two . I would think the Viper input shaft would hold up as well as anything inside the unit will but as with anything , you will find the next weak link when upgrading stuff .
Old 01-19-2008, 07:30 PM
9 Second Club

It really is just enough to keep it from breaking. Like stated we see the stock ones twist the splines with high HP cars quite often. Mostly the cars that go to the track but a few street cars twist them also.

The splines are a weak link with anything if you are twisting them. Breakage usually happens past the splines between them and the gear. Twisting on the other hand really can't be controlled in my opinion. Other might have an opinion on that but I don't think you can get rid of it. Like stated once we went to the viper shaft we eliminated the twisting problem we had. The viper guys have been making 1600rwhp with the stock shafts for years and I honestly haven't seen them break or twist one. I have seen the actual gear break but not from the splines to the gear.

I learn new things everyday from these guys on the boards. I like all of the questions and don't mind anyone asking questions. That is why I am on the boards.

Amber
Whats that gonna run to get done on the tranny. Thats the only thing I haven't done to mine ( next to $6k transzille ) to my knowlegde. I tried proshifted for a while but didn't like it popping out of gear.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 PM
FormerVendor

The shaft is $250 plus you have to have someone machine it. Most will charge you between $25 and $50 to machine it. I do all of mine as package deals.

thesource,

That is good info on the old style transmissions. I honestly don't know what they use to use but from experience and knowledge the viper shafts are proven. Some shops out there think it is a waste of money but when you have a heavy car, higher hp car or lauch hard you need all you can get.

Amber
Old 01-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned

thesource,

That is good info on the old style transmissions. I honestly don't know what they use to use but from experience and knowledge the viper shafts are proven. Some shops out there think it is a waste of money but when you have a heavy car, higher hp car or lauch hard you need all you can get.

Amber
Going with bigger input & finer splines and larger output shafts is nothing new . GM did it with their line of Muncie 4 spds and Borg Warner T-10's . Dodge did it with their old 4 spds in the Hemi cars and Ford did it in the Top Loader behind the big blocks as well . They also added strenght to the units along with usability by having their own sets of "BIG BLOCK" ratios which were usually numerically lower and much stronger . The T56 is the grandson of these older units and benefits from years of design success and failures .
Old 01-19-2008, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Amber,

Every time I come in here it costs me more money...

Quick Reply: T56 Rebuild Question