Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

another stupid pilot bearing question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008 | 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

Default another stupid pilot bearing question...

so...as you can guess i am about to do a clutch install on my 99 Z28, and i already know from reading other threads that trying to get the pilot bearing out is pain in the *bleep*. i have a haynes manual that says to fill the hole on the inner part of the bearing with grease, and use a "rod" or wooden dowel to push down into the hole and tap a few times witha hammer to pop it out...i guess the force of the grease on the back of the bearing will push it out... anyway, in the picture in the book, it looks like they are just using a simple ratchet extension to tap on.

i've read alot of the threads on here and everyone seems to be saying i should just go rent a bearing puller and slide hammer, but i was curious if anyone has tried the grease and extension method and if it was succesful at all.

thanks for any replies.
Old 01-26-2008 | 02:35 AM
Launching!

I used the grease method on my old truck. Didn't use an extension, used a clutch line up tool. I have heard not to use this method with the LS motors. Not really sure why.
Old 01-26-2008 | 03:51 AM
11 Second Club

From what I've read, you can't use the grease behind the T/O bearing because there is a freeze plug behind it and tapping on it will possibly push it into the oil pan. The bearing puller works wonders.
Old 01-26-2008 | 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blue98Z
From what I've read, you can't use the grease behind the T/O bearing because there is a freeze plug behind it and tapping on it will possibly push it into the oil pan. The bearing puller works wonders.
Exactly what I was going to say.

The last thing you want is to have to drop the oil pan for something that could have been avoided.
Old 01-26-2008 | 08:20 AM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

Go rent the tool from your local parts store. You don't wanna take a chace with that freeze plug.
Old 01-26-2008 | 08:44 AM
On The Tree

also the pilot bearing is really in there on my car, my buddys 99 t/a and another friends 96 camaro. almost like it was pressed in from the factory. you will have to tap the new one back in with a socket. even with the puller it was still stubborn, thought something was going to break before we saw the bearing actually start to move
Old 01-26-2008 | 08:47 AM
On The Tree

btw the first time i did it i tried a slide hammer and it works but only after about an hour of me and a buddy taking turns. the puller will have it out in 5 min .

Trending Topics

Old 01-26-2008 | 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie
20 Year Member

I had to get a blind hole puller from Autozone. Their slide hammer wouldn't fit. With the blind hole puller it took a few tries but it came right out.
Old 01-28-2008 | 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

the chisel method with always get it done.
Old 01-28-2008 | 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ls1transam346
btw the first time i did it i tried a slide hammer and it works but only after about an hour of me and a buddy taking turns. the puller will have it out in 5 min .
when we did mine, the slide hammer didnt do it either - I used a air grinder and carbide bit to cut through it- be careful! I had read about the freeze plug too - YES the ls1s have it! so dont pack with grease and hammer it out that way, my pilot was so bad that most of rollers were "dust" ,seems like the blind hole puller the Zone is your best choice . my clutch wasnt very bad after 140k except for some hot spots - think my problems started because of the whipped pilot its all new now! good luck
Old 01-28-2008 | 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

I tried to use a chisel recently, and im lost on how to get through the bearing with a chisel, i destroyed the chisel and barely made a scratch on the bearing, got the tool from autozone and it would not fit in the bearing. I had to use and angle grinder and ground down the puller so it would fit in the bearing and then used the slide hammer and it came out pretty easily, and this was after a nightmare disassembly for replacing all factory stuff in a 90K mile LS1.
Old 01-28-2008 | 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

take it from me....dont use the greese method..... i popped my freeze out plug, luckily it didnt go into the oil pan and i causght it and was able to re use it.... rent a bearing puller or just mangle the thing out.

Quick Reply: another stupid pilot bearing question...