Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch woes, and opening day at the track is Sunday!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Clutch woes, and opening day at the track is Sunday!

I've posted in the sticky'd sticking pedal thread but am looking for maybe some quicker advice.

My pedal sticks to the floor and has gotten really bad lately. So in an effort to get it working for the track, I first replaced the master cylinder which made it feel tons better but not solved. Next I did the slave (I didn't do the clutch at that time due to time restrictions for the track) and the pedal feels awesome, but not solved. I can run it through 1st, 2nd, 3rd and then it won't go into 4th and the pedal barely comes up. It's been blead really thuroly(sp?) too. Oh and i've changed the trans fluid to.

Does anyone have any ideas that may be causeing this? Pressure plate maybe? If so why does it only do it once I get to 4th? I've tried to find a LS7 clutch locally but no luck, otherwise I would slap that thing in. Thanks for reading and any help.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, if it's a stocker, you definitely just need a clutch swap. I don't see an aftermarket clutch listed, so I'm assuming it's the stock one in there. On a heads and cam car, that won't last long (didn't on mine with a similar setup). Put a new clutch in it and be ready to go.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

Ya it's a stocker, what kills me is it holds the power good and doesn't slip at all. Just that damn sticking pedal.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Same here no slippin whatsoever but after second i have no pedal left for 3rd. I havent started replacing anything yet till i have the funds but from what im researching theres a lot of guys who change all the hydraulics and the problems do not go away until an aftermarket clutch is installed. Plus im on a street tire im sure once i put a DR on i will notice it slipping.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:38 PM
12 Second Club

I havn't used my DR's yet this year, but you may be right. I've replaced the hydrolics and it didn't fix it. I have a LS7 on the way though!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Nice keep me posted and let me know if that fixes everything.. I am lookin into the LS7
Old 03-11-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever think you are boiling the fluid? Sounds like that may be the problem IF these conditions are met.

Shifting through gears with regular driving tend to work fine.
Spirited and WOT runs the pedal sticks.
Fluid changes color after a few runs.
Longtube headers in car.

Drill mod is also something you should do if you are doing WOT runs and quick shifts. The restriction in the hydraulic line slows the speed at which the master can replenish itself. 1-2 full master, 2-3 75% returned 3-4 40% returned, pedal sticks. The hydraulic line restriction + boiling fluid would pretty much describe the problems you have OUTSIDE a major clutch issue with the pressure plate.

Switch to Dot4 synthetic and see if the symptoms get better.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think it would be boiling fluid, all hydrolics are new and have been blead thouroly with DOT 4 fluid. I actually have Mac mids and the drill mod has been done already. I was really hoping it was something like that, but I don't think i'm so lucky...