Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

PRO 5.0 HELP>

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRO 5.0 HELP>

I have had my Pro 5.0 for about two months now, It replaced a Hurst Billet Plus that I hated. I love how the pro 5.0 feels and shifts but,, It is so damn noisy on acceleration. I Did not cut the boot when I installed it, I found a different rubber boot that fit on it perfectly, then the #6 rubber boot is ovet that, so thats not it. It rattles so bad when I accelerate I want to shoot myself. It was installed with locktite, and is not loose. I dont know what the problem is, do they just sound like that? Any Help??? If theres no solution, CHEAP Pro 5.0 on the message board.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: PRO 5.0 HELP>

Shifters do not make noise themselves, they just transmit vibration noise from your transmission. You could put that exact shifter on someone else's tranny and it would be perfectly silent. Every car is different.

I know some guys have wrapped dynamat or similar around the handle shaft (inside the leather boot) and that helped them out. We have a sound deadening sponsor here, B-Quiet, that might have something to help out.

Also, some people have found different results by changing to a heavier shifter ****. This will change the resonant frequency of the vibrations.

Tony
Old 08-07-2003, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So you went from a stock shifter to a Hurst BIllet Plus? Or was this the factory Hurst? Did you ever try a short stick on the Hurst before you went with a 5.0? I sold my 5.0 because of the noise and lack of spring pressure. IMHO, the factory Hurst with LSS or JSS works just as good the Pro 5.0 and is quiet.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

I made a paper gasket that went between the shifter base and the transmission. Then I made a small gasket that went between the shifter handle and the base. My pro-5.0 was pretty quiet. You had to really listen for the noise to hear it. I've since taken in out in favor the factory hurst. It was too notchy and weak return springs.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 5.0 is quiet.the only thing i done was wrap some duct tape around the bottom of the handle so there would be no metal on metal vibration noise.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

It was a Hurst billet plus in place of the factory hurst. I am definatly going to have a gasket made and see how that works. My trans might need a rebuild, the car only has 33k on it but 580rwhp is rough on any trans. so who knows. About those weak return springs, can anything be done, its starting to annoy me as well. Can they be replaced with a stiffer one???? I was told the pro 5.0 was the best on the market, starting to wonder why I bought a product that was first made for mustangs. So once again I say F@ck ford. Did you really like the stock hurst with a shorter stick better that the pro 5.0?? I have a pretty short stick on the pro 5.0, and like it, but the noise might not be worth it. What to do?
Old 08-10-2003, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AHHH i just ordered my pro 5.0 on thursday, after reading this i am starting to regret ordering it. what do you guys think, should i keep the pro 5.0 or send it back and get a b&m ripper?
Old 08-10-2003, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

I think there are more people who like the pro-5.0 than dislike it. You might like it, only way to know is to try one out. Drive a car that has one in, or put one in yours for a while. I think there is a 30 day return if you don't like it.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

About those weak return springs, can anything be done, its starting to annoy me as well. Can they be replaced with a stiffer one???? I was told the pro 5.0 was the best on the market, starting to wonder why I bought a product that was first made for mustangs. So once again I say F@ck ford. Did you really like the stock hurst with a shorter stick better that the pro 5.0?? I have a pretty short stick on the pro 5.0, and like it, but the noise might not be worth it. What to do?
When I owned my Pro 5.0, I thought of the same things. Seems like I went a step backwards with the noise and week spring design. I sold it for $100 and when I installed the factory Hurst with LSS, I was like OMG. It felt really tight and the stronger spring pressure with LSS was an added bonus. Very quiet too.

IMO, I wasted money on the Pro5.0. Some people here love them and thats their opinion but I couldn't stand mine. If you look on ebay, there's always someone selling their factory Hurst for less than 80 bucks. Add a LSS ($45) or JSS ($20) and you got yourself a nice shifter for little change.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

check the tranny mount it could be cracked...... 90% of the noise...

Quick Reply: PRO 5.0 HELP>