Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Problems..loosing pedal pressure:

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Problems..loosing pedal pressure:

Ok I was driving home last night leaving a local meet, first couple of shifts were fine, then suddenly boom I loose like 90% of my pedal pressure. So I drove home with enough clutch to get the car out of gear, and rev matching to get into gear. What I came up withh

I never get more than about 10% of pedal pressure
If I hold the clutch for more than about 3-4 seconds I loose all pedal pressure
It was to dark to look for leaks.

Suggestions on where to start?

(I put in a new master a few weeks ago and did the bleed with a mitty vac)
Old 05-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Unhappy Similar Problem

I am a similar position that you are in. So maybe the experts can help me too. I installed a Textralia OZ700 Z Grip clutch in my 2000 camaro about two weeks ago. I replaced the original slave and master cylinder with OEM parts when I put the clutch in. At first, the system caught a little low, but it was still disengaging the clutch plate. After two weeks, the car is hard to get into gear, and will even pull itself forward with the clutch to the floor. I stopped driving it, bled the system twice, most recently with a Motion system, and still having the same problem. I bought an adjustable master, but before I do that, do I have a bigger problem? Sorry this is so long, but my car is about to become firewood.

Thanks!

p.s. Hopefully they can help us both!
Old 05-21-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the clutch pedal goes to the floor and makes shifting difficult, you either have a problem with the slave or the master. It means it's not holding pressure and the fluid pressure is going somewhere other than the pressure plate.

The master is easier to replace and inspect than the slave. Start with that. The simplest check is to disconnect the hydraulic line and see if the master can be compressed. If you can push the pedal down despite it not being connected to the slave, you have a problem with the master's seals. If it remains stiff, then the slave is the problem.

Check your reservoir for signs of burnt fluid, or lack of fluid. It's gotta go somewhere if it's not going to the pressure plate.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

I am having the same problem as you after i installed my tex clutch and new slave. The weird thing about mine pedal is that i will lose pedal sometimes and then it will come back, very weird. If anyone knows what is causing this problem please post. thanks
Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

When you guys installed the tex, did you make sure to remove the paint from the holes in the pressure plate? Did you use blue loctite? Are the bolts torqued to spec? New flywheel or resurfaced? Is the hydraulic line protected behind the heat shield? is it insulated from the headers? Install a new master? New slave? You sure there's no air in the line?

Lot of things that can cause strange pedal pressure.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

I bought the whole kit from byunspeed and it included clutch pp and flywheel. Everything was torqued to spec and I used a new slave. I bleed the slave some more and so far it seems better but only time will tell.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I replace my master a few weeks ago with a factory unit, and it worked great for about 3-4 weeks then this. I am gonna try a re-bleed tonight (thinking maybe a posibility of an air bubble somewhere that wasn't causing a problem and it finally shifted).

Good suggestion on testing the master and slave seperate.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i only lose the clutch after a hard shift. from first to second, when i go to third it will have no or just a little peddle. i am still on the stock clutch and with my mods i am sure it is heating up..
Old 05-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Default Developments

Okay so if you read above you get the idea of what's going on. Since that post I have replaced the master cylinder with an adjustable unit from Ram Clutches. Then I bled the system with a Motion Power Bleeder. I bled it two more times, and the problem is still the same. Also, while I had the pressure bleeder set up, I pressure tested the system. It held 15lbs of pressure for over 30 minutes of my cursing and smoking. So I don't have a leak, I am pretty damn confident I don't have any air in the system, I have a new master cylinder, the slave was replaced along with the clutch, and it still won't completely disengage.

Nick - 0 Camaro - 2
Old 05-22-2008, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

I ran into the same problems with my Tex clutch as well. When it's cold outside the clutch is stubborn with little pedal pressure. As soon as the car warms up it's fine. I replaced the Clutch Master, Slave, and did the drill mod and haven't had a problem since.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, so I re-bled the clutch today, got my pedal pressure and feel back EXCEPT when I release the clutch I get 3/4 of the way up and lose 90% of my pressure again. If I pull the clutch back up and let it sit 10 seconds, it gets pressure back. This is with the Mity Vac Attached and pressure applied. Leting it sit to see if I have a leak now.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SladeX
If the clutch pedal goes to the floor and makes shifting difficult, you either have a problem with the slave or the master. It means it's not holding pressure and the fluid pressure is going somewhere other than the pressure plate.
Agreed, look for remnants where the fluid went. There's a drainage slot on the transmission and reach way back under the brake booster and see if you can find any wetness anywhere.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I've seen in the past is alot of people have this problem as soon as they bleed the system on the car.The correct way is to bench bleed it or reverse bleed the system.If you buy a new slave,master or whatever -do not bleed the system after you put it together. In the last 8 years we've always bench bled the systems and not once have a hydrolic problem. Before that I tried bleeding them on the car and always had problems.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Default bleed clutch

Originally Posted by Injected1
Ok I was driving home last night leaving a local meet, first couple of shifts were fine, then suddenly boom I loose like 90% of my pedal pressure. So I drove home with enough clutch to get the car out of gear, and rev matching to get into gear. What I came up withh

I never get more than about 10% of pedal pressure
If I hold the clutch for more than about 3-4 seconds I loose all pedal pressure
It was to dark to look for leaks.

Suggestions on where to start?

(I put in a new master a few weeks ago and did the bleed with a mitty vac)
put in new slave. hopefully your new one is cast iron. but never the less. now, the new ones have a set screw on the slave . pump up the pedal as best as you can. like with a long board between the seat and pedal. now pedal is at the floor. loosen hex screw on the slave and let it squirt the fluid out. now tighten hex back up. do that 4 times. Now check the the fluid in the hydrophilic tank.after that just pump that clutch about 300 times. then check the fluid again. should be good now.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Kinney
put in new slave. hopefully your new one is cast iron. but never the less. now, the new ones have a set screw on the slave . pump up the pedal as best as you can. like with a long board between the seat and pedal. now pedal is at the floor. loosen hex screw on the slave and let it squirt the fluid out. now tighten hex back up. do that 4 times. Now check the the fluid in the hydrophilic tank.after that just pump that clutch about 300 times. then check the fluid again. should be good now.
Seriously why can't people read the dates before they reply to a decade old thread?
If the OP hasn't figured it out by now he never will!

Quick Reply: Clutch Problems..loosing pedal pressure: