Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

adjusting MC

Old 05-27-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting MC

was woundering if anyone has seen or heard of the slave popping because of too much throw. i made the stock adjustable last night and am kinda nervous to play w/ it. w/ the luck im having right now ill pop the slave.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just make sure everything is bolted together before you play and you'll be fine. The pressure plate will keep it from going to far. Damage occurs when you push the pedal in while the transmission is laying on the garage floor.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
Just make sure everything is bolted together before you play and you'll be fine. The pressure plate will keep it from going to far. Damage occurs when you push the pedal in while the transmission is laying on the garage floor.
oh ya everythings bolted up. i had to make it adjustable to get my pedal hight/throw correct for my swap. im gonna run the clutch w/o adjusting it untill the clutch has broken in. thanks man.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It should only move the same amount of fluid no matter where you adjust the pedal to. The only part that moves is the pedal height.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
It should only move the same amount of fluid no matter where you adjust the pedal to. The only part that moves is the pedal height.
not entirely true, in fact more fluid movement is one of the reasons for performing this. that is why you cut the internal stop. when you lengthen the rod (or raise the pedal) the throw is farther and more fluid is pushed.

but to the original poster i highly doubt you will have a problem over extending the slave
Old 05-30-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
not entirely true, in fact more fluid movement is one of the reasons for performing this. that is why you cut the internal stop. when you lengthen the rod (or raise the pedal) the throw is farther and more fluid is pushed.

but to the original poster i highly doubt you will have a problem over extending the slave
thanks man. JB had me scratching my head for a min tho lol.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Shouldn't the master bottom out before excess fluid is moved? I maxed out my master to the top before and it didn't effect my shifting. The only difference was the pedal would stop with about an inch or two before the floor. I lowered it to stop at the bump stop thing and no difference in shifting occurred. No grinding or anything like that made me think it moved the same amount of fluid.

Other possible solution is the Ram master still has the stock internal stop?
Old 06-03-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

it moves more fluid when you cut the internal stop tho.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

the throw of the pedal is not going to change unless you cut a hole in the firewall lol. it pushes the same amount of fluid. the only things that will change the amout of fluid is to incress the diameter of the master ie the mcloed unit uses a larger bore which incress the amout of fuild being compressed.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

not true. when you cut the internal stop you allow the seals in the master to be extended more, but the clutch peddle its self has the same movement, witch means the same amount of fluid is being compressed. i hope that makes sense
Old 06-03-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by styoung
not true. when you cut the internal stop you allow the seals in the master to be extended more, but the clutch peddle its self has the same movement, witch means the same amount of fluid is being compressed. i hope that makes sense
um i have to disagree. lets say you made an adjustable MC cut the stop and thredded the rod. MC is bolted up and at stock length. if you "adjust" the rod the way the adjustable mod was inteded to work, the pedal hight will remain the same but still push the plunger into the bore further. now its like you have constant pressure on the clutch thus taking up the free play. so now that its adjusted and the pedal still sits in the stock location when you push the pedal down, the plunger is going to extend further than normal becuase you retained the stock pedal but the plunger is actualy already being pushed in. thats why they tell you to adjust the free play out when the fluid heats up do to expanding reasons.

I on the other hand used the mod to extend my pedal possition. i didnt cut a section of rod off, rather cut it in half and extended the rod w/o it hooked up giving me a higher pedal. i had to for my swap. if i wanted to i could also get more throw out of it by extended the other portion of the rod into the bore. thats why i asked if anyone had ever poped a slave. youre wrong my friend .
Old 06-03-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Omec
um i have to disagree. lets say you made an adjustable MC cut the stop and thredded the rod. MC is bolted up and at stock length. if you "adjust" the rod the way the adjustable mod was inteded to work, the pedal hight will remain the same but still push the plunger into the bore further. now its like you have constant pressure on the clutch thus taking up the free play. so now that its adjusted and the pedal still sits in the stock location when you push the pedal down, the plunger is going to extend further than normal becuase you retained the stock pedal but the plunger is actualy already being pushed in. thats why they tell you to adjust the free play out when the fluid heats up do to expanding reasons.

I on the other hand used the mod to extend my pedal position. i didnt cut a section of rod off, rather cut it in half and extended the rod w/o it hooked up giving me a higher pedal. i had to for my swap. if i wanted to i could also get more throw out of it by extended the other portion of the rod into the bore. thats why i asked if anyone had ever poped a slave. youre wrong my friend .
i see what you are saying but my understanding of it was that the plunger inside the slave still will move the same distance no matter how long you extend the rod because the clutch peddle will still have the same throw because the pivot point will always be the same. and the reason for cutting the stop is so when you extend the rod you can still get the same amount of throw without hitting the stop. now you have me thinking. i could be wrong. that is just the way i understood it.

Search this Thread