Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

lockup clutch going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 10:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lockup clutch going bad?

ok guys, I think my lockup clutch might be going out in my torque converter. Whenever I first start up the car and drive it, the converter locks fine for about 15-20 minutes. When I come to a complete stop and then take off again, the converter locks fine for about 10 minutes. If I've been driving awhile on the interstate, it stays unlocked most of the time but will lock for about 3-4 minutes intermittently. Do you guys think this is possibly it? I'm going to put a manual lockup switch on the car soon to try and find out. The converter is a 3600 Vig.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: lockup clutch going bad?

Find someone that knows what they are doing with edit!!!! Back when my car was a bolt on only car and mine did this very thing with the vig 3600. After the programing it never did it again.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

My car hasn't had any changes in tuning in months. This problem first popped up when I switched my stocks rims and tires to DragLites with different front and rear diameter. If its anyones fault, its mine.

<small>[ April 11, 2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: PlowTown Missile ]</small>
Old 04-13-2003, 06:13 AM
9 Second Club

it's not the tires, it's the tuning. The way it was tunned was probably by specific mph/rpm and changing the tire diameter sent the old tune outta wack. get it re-tuned
Old 04-13-2003, 07:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you install a shift kit with the converter?Do you run ported MAF ends?The clutches might be getting worn by low line pressure.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Shawn said that my ET Streets will be taller than my BFG's that are on my car now so I'm going to wait to see if the ET's are the right height first.

My car doesn't have a shift kit in it and box-stock MAF ends.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Mine does the same thing while at cruising RPM's. If I vary the rpm's, like get in the gas a little then let it coast for a few seconds then accelerate a little and coast again it will stay locked. It's when I hold the throttle consistant for a minute or two it unlocks then a few minutes later it will lock again and so on and so on. It started about 6 months after I changed the converter, but I believe it's MAF related. I'm always changing something so it's hard to pinpoint a problem when it happens. It could be a side effect of a previous mod. or a new one.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Teching In

ancient thread, i know... but any updates on this problem?? was it the converter clutch? i have the exact same issues with an almost box stock '95 impala (intake and exhaust)... had a maf code changed it, still the same. changed the tps, even though i had no code, its right there and a cheap easy swap, still the same... put a manual switch to ground, still the same... staked the pwm valve, still the same... only thing i found but couldnt get while the pan was off was a broken 1-2 accumulator spring... the cause of my harsh 1-2 shift i'm sure... i have since gotten the spring and a new tcc solenoid but have not yet had time to install... been reading about a .500 boost valve... and might order it before i pull the pan again to fix the spring... car runs and shift nice otherwise?? the car was sold to me with "88k" miles but had to change the digital cluster and have no way of knowing the true miles now...

Quick Reply: lockup clutch going bad?