Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Advice

I just got done replacing my extension housing bushing because the old one walked out and was spraying trans fluid everywhere causing a smoke screen behind the car. Well I just took the car out again and its doing the exact same thing I used the rockland standard gear "no walk bushing". My question is what else could be causing my bushing to get wiped out so fast? Bent output shaft, out of balance driveshaft, pinion angle? I could really use some help here Thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Teching In

If the bushing walked out you might of damaged the slip yoke on your driveshaft. Make sure the yoke isn't grooved.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Banned

I ran into this issue a couple of years back on a T56 as well . At first it was leaking so I replaced the seal only . A few days later the guy spit the bushing out along with the seal . I replaced the bushing and seal for the guy while the trans was still in the car . It lasted about 2 weeks and did it again . I asked the shop where the car was at to let me see the driveshaft . I looked at it really close and found out the inner splines on the yoke were twisted . When the car would accellerate , the yoke was not able to slide in like it should and would put the bushing in a blind . When they let off the gas and the yoke would slide out it would take the bushing with it . Long story short , I replaced the bushing and seal again along with the yoke being replaced and it fixed that problem .
Old 08-17-2008, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll go check the slip yoke on the driveshaft in a little bit. I hope that this is the problem
Old 08-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Banned

Just look at the splines very closely . If you see any twist in them , I would change the yoke .
Old 08-23-2008, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

OK finally got a chance to check the car out here is what I found. The drive shaft came out with the extension housing bushing on the end of the slip yoke! I'm guessing it was spinning around in the bore so I guess my only option is to get a new extension housing. I checked the splines on the slip yoke, they appear to be a little tweaked nothing too bad. I have a spare yoke that I slid in the back of the trans. With no extension housing bushing the slip yoke moves smoothly along the output shaft splines so I guess I didn't twist the splines on the output shaft? Does this sound like I'm going in the right direction here? I would hate to waste money on parts that I dont need. I'm thinking new extension housing and slip yoke. Thanks for the help
Old 08-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

Yeah you should be ok on the main shaft . As far as the tail housing goes , if it will hold a new bushing , I would reuse it . If the hole is too worn and will not hold a bushing , you will need a new tail housing .

Did your old yoke slide all the way in and out smoothly or was it binding a little bit ? It doesn't really take much twisting inside the yoke to cause damage .
Old 08-25-2008, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesource
Yeah you should be ok on the main shaft . As far as the tail housing goes , if it will hold a new bushing , I would reuse it . If the hole is too worn and will not hold a bushing , you will need a new tail housing .

Did your old yoke slide all the way in and out smoothly or was it binding a little bit ? It doesn't really take much twisting inside the yoke to cause damage .
I appreciate all the help you have given me. I just ordered a new extension housing ,this is the second bushing that spun inside of it. I think the second one spun because the 1st one messed up the bore. I didn't slide the old yoke on but a new one I had in my toolbox, after the splines are lined up it goes on and slides fore and aft very smooth. I guess when I take the extension housing off again I'll check the splines to make sure they aren't bent. My car weighs 3400 lbs now but it used to be a little over 3500, I launch the car at 6600-7000 depending on track conditions, do you think this is enough to twist the output shaft? Thanks again
Old 08-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Banned

No . I have not seen the splined area where the yoke slides on twist . Usually it breaks further up by the speedo . I would say the main shaft is ok but I would change the yoke .
Old 08-25-2008, 10:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also make sure the yoke is going deep enough into the tranny to slip through the bushing. We had one come out one time because the yoke just wasn't engaging the trans enough.

Also, make sure the new extension housing is made exactly the same especially where the reverse idler gear bolts in. Some actually used a spacer between the bearing and housing, and on some the housing was thicker so there was no need for the spacer.

If you want to get rid of the old tail housing, let me know. We can have it machined and use it as a core for our viper mainshaft conversion package.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesource
No . I have not seen the splined area where the yoke slides on twist . Usually it breaks further up by the speedo . I would say the main shaft is ok but I would change the yoke .
OK thats some good news thanks
Old 08-26-2008, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
Also make sure the yoke is going deep enough into the tranny to slip through the bushing. We had one come out one time because the yoke just wasn't engaging the trans enough.

Also, make sure the new extension housing is made exactly the same especially where the reverse idler gear bolts in. Some actually used a spacer between the bearing and housing, and on some the housing was thicker so there was no need for the spacer.

If you want to get rid of the old tail housing, let me know. We can have it machined and use it as a core for our viper mainshaft conversion package.
OK I'll check that send me a PM for the extension housing. Thanks

Quick Reply: Need Advice