Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

May be moving to Missouri next summer

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Default May be moving to Missouri next summer

My daughter lives in Springfield, so I'd like to be within 1-2 hours of there. I've heard you're either within an hour, or you need to jump to 2.5 hours, there's not much in between. I'm a senior network engineer but it doesn't seem like there's much close in that field unless I head towards Columbia?

I grew up in NE Iowa, so I'm familiar with the winter weather, although it's been almost 15 years. Looking for feedback on what to put on my checklist for the potential move, things to consider, etc. I'll definitely need a different winter vehicle though. Housing seems inexpensive compared to Florida.

Oh, do you require front license plates, annual inspection, what window tint is allowed and/or anything else which might vary state-to-state? How easy it is it to bypass some or all of these checks?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome in advance, Jim. Front license plates are mandatory and inspection is required every two years. Side window tint is a big no-no here, but usually is not enforced if they can see through it. I would say in the Springfield area that they probably do emissions testing, but they do not over here (yet). As far as winter weather, it is only really cold about a month out of the year, but not like you are used to in NE Iowa. It only snows enough over here to shut down the schools about 3 or 4 days a year. I would say you should not have trouble finding work over there, as the Springfield area is probably the fastest growing part of the state. Housing is inexpensive compared to Florida and now is probably the time to buy since the market is in a slump. Good luck, I think you will like Missouri.
Mike
Old 11-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Teching In

I thought side window tint was allowed but only to 35%, at least thats what the tint place told me
Old 11-21-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Springfield huh, My sister lives there and were gonna look for a place and the job market while were down there for thanksgiving.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dkdude
I thought side window tint was allowed but only to 35%, at least thats what the tint place told me
I was pretty sure that the law says no tint at all, but I may be wrong. Usually the tint guys say it is OK and I don't think it gets enforced too much around Cape unless you are doing something stupid and the cop feels like getting you for everything he can. You must be talking about the tint place off of Broadway, they always say it is OK.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Teching In

its been 35% for a few years around here. so mike hows the car coming along?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

welcome! im from branson, bout 45 mins from springfield
Old 11-30-2008, 06:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by johnnynumber5
its been 35% for a few years around here. so mike hows the car coming along?
Coming along great! Should be running low 9s on pump gas by March!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

My brother lives in Nixa, just outside of Springfield. He has never said anything about having to get an emissions test done on either of his vehicles.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

no, there are no emissions in MO
Old 12-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Banned

Missouri is a great place to live. Winter weather really isn't bad at all, unless you live in KC. As for your questions, front license plates are required. I don't know how many me and my friends have been pulled over for not having them. You can sometimes get away with having them on the dash. Inspections every 2 years. They will usually pass just about anything. Window tint can be as dark as you want on the rear windows. Driver and passenger doors are limited to 35%. I think windshield strips can be a maximum of 10 inches from the top, but there is no limit on how dark it can be. I have my daily driver tinted 5% all the way around and haven't had any problems in the last 2 years. Missouri car titles suck because they have a tear off slip on the bottom that the seller has to send in when they sell the car.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by brynnda
no, there are no emissions in MO
incorrect

St. Louis and Kansas City both require emissions test i beileve they have the last month or so have debated on bringing emissions test to the springfield area due to poor air quailty results the past few years.

No tint Below the blue line on the windshield

No tint darker than 35% on front side windows (remember that your factory window prolly has a 2% tint so if the cop really wants to be mean then if you have 35% you actually have 33ish%

whatever you want further back
Old 12-03-2008, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

I live in lebanon, which is 45 min northeast of springfield on i-44. its about 2.5 hrs from kc and stl. columbia is like 1.5 hrs from here i believe. either way the whole area of southwest missouri is pretty nice.

Quick Reply: May be moving to Missouri next summer