Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Going Twin Turbo In '09, which kit? Which shop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going Twin Turbo In '09, which kit? Which shop?

I have been on this board awhile, and after acquiring the vehicle I wanted at the power level to start out with, I will finally have the cash after this next deployment to do a twin turbo setup.
I have talked to the guys at 417 motorsports about their twin turbo kit, and like the idea of a shop in the tri state area doing the work. Their kit is clean and is about the cost I have found to be right for an installed kitwith the goals I have in mind. I've been cruising the FI section and seen the numbers put up with the TTi and APS kits as well. I'm looking for someone to give me advice on maybe some more shops in the area I could look at (Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma and Nebraska.)
The car as it is now is putting down 419 hp and 401 tq at the wheels. LS6 intake, .601/.610 lift cam, ported 241 heads, full length headers with x pipe into magnaflows. I'm not concerned with retaining A/C. But I do not want to have the radiator stood up or anything in the engine bay cut up. If down the line I want to pull the system and take it back to the way it was, that's how it has to be.
Looking forward to any opinions, comments or advice! Thanks.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

do you have a stock short block?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by millersta
do you have a stock short block?
It's a stock shortblock, sorry, should've specified my goals. Looking to get up around the 600rwhp mark. I think that should be attainable with 8lbs of boost. Of course, I'm going to ugrade the fuel system, clutch and rear end, dual in tank pumps and 60# injectors or whatever the kit requires or comes with. 9" and Mcleod twin disk.
In the future I'll be going with a 408" or equivalant forged short block, different heads and around 8.5:1 cr, so the kit needs to be flexible from the 8-21 lbs range.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Teching In

I'm not sure I would push a stock block to 600rwhp.

Also, I don't really have any suggestions for you, since you're in Kansas, but I will say do lots and lots of research. I've seen quite a few crappy turbo kits, especially the one I have. I won't get into that but buy from a reputable company. A turbo kit is not something you want to buy because it looked like a good deal. If you're getting a "good deal" on it, you'll probably regret it.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:35 AM
Teching In

I'm definitely not going to buy a cheap kit. Will the stock shortblock not hold that power until I'm ready to upgrade to a forged shortblock? I know there are plenty of cars out there pushing 550 or more to the wheels with D1SC's and turbos on the stock shortblock. I'm just stating what I've seen, but am really open to suggestions.
Like I said about 417motorsports kit, take a look at their site and the twin setup they did on a TA. High quality stuff. I like the APS kit and the results it has gotten, but I have also seen some complaints about a few fitment issues here and there. With a custom setup I know they will take their time and fabricate it to just what I need.
Come on people! Haha, help me out here. I'm not going to skimp on a kit, so it will not be a cheap build.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think you can go wrong w/ 417. Blake does some amazing work!
Old 12-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Good to hear some feedback from someone who has taken a look at his work! I'm thinking of heading down there over xmas while I'm home on leave for a face to face and discuss my plans in detail. If anyone has anymore pictures of their work let me know! Thanks.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:16 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The APS kit is a proven twin turbo kit that comes with cast iron manifolds that I seriously doubt will ever break where the turbo's mount to them. I'd take a good look at this on any other kit that you may be thinking about going with as turbo mounts break after a lot of heat cycles. Check out this APS Firehawk that we built, I have a lot of pictures of it so you can get a good idea of what it looks like installed. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=39
I agree with other other post, I wouldn't go over 550 rwhp on a stock block, at least on our Mustang Dyno which puts out lower numbers than a DynoJet does. Bob
Old 12-12-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transamblack
Good to hear some feedback from someone who has taken a look at his work! I'm thinking of heading down there over xmas while I'm home on leave for a face to face and discuss my plans in detail. If anyone has anymore pictures of their work let me know! Thanks.
He built a custom twin set up for my buddy's '67 Nova w/ a 408. The car was taken on Hot Rod Power Tour this year & on a feature was shot for Car Craft magazine that was out a few months ago.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...r-century.html
Old 12-12-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

540rwhp here with a D1SC, dynoed at EPP
Old 12-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Teching In

My previous statement about a "cheap" kit was misunderstood. I did not mean that APS was a cheap kit. I've looked at their kit and think it's very well crafted. I have although heard and read of some fitment issues. I am kind of geared towards a more custom kit like the one from 417, but I'm open to look at other kits and hear different prices.
Bob, could you PM me so we can talk about what it is I have in mind, and what kind of prices we would be looking at? Thanks.
If anyone else out there can vouch about 417 or has more pictures of maybe some TA's they have done please post! Thanks.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Anyone got some other opinions or advice?
Old 12-21-2008, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its somewhat out of the way for you but i would strongly suggest at least giving these guys a call http://www.turboconnection.com/ they do some absolutely awsome work

Quick Reply: Going Twin Turbo In '09, which kit? Which shop?