Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK
View Poll Results: How do you stand on the decision of setting higher fuel standards for automobiles?
Favor
46.15%
Oppose
30.77%
No Opinion
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Setting Higher Fuel Standards for Automobiles

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Setting Higher Fuel Standards for Automobiles

Like the title says I am conducting a poll on setting higher fuel standards for automobiles. Please join in and say whether you favor, oppose or have no opinion on the topic.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes car makers should strive for more fuel effecient cars, but as a consumer in a free country I should have the right to choose if I want a 60mpg or 6mpg car/truck
Old 12-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Teching In

I agree.

Anyone else? Keep them coming.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, I bought a new civic a year ago and it was a nice car fully loaded with leather and heated seats. The car got great gas mileage but it just wasnt the car for me. Im 6'3 230 and felt like was driving a clown car, so I traded it and got a silverado. Yeah its a big difference in gas mileage but I love the truck. If people want to spend $60 to fill their gas tanks let them.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You think they don't have the technology to make an SUV get 30+ MPG's? Your crazy.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

ill stick with my t/a getting 20mpg highway with mods but thats me i also loved my 10mpg 69 el camino i dont worry bout gas prices or fuel economy too much im more worried about havin fun
Old 12-05-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

i think the Mileage Standards are a good thing over all. I feel they are going about it wrong. I think they should be forced to offer a few cars that get great milage... and ALSO offer an electric car that doesn't suck. meaning, something that can actually go a ways on a charge, and use the battery technology a little better. But at the same time, not jam it down our throats, that they ALL must get insanely better mileage. If people want to drive an electric car, let them. That's GREAT. That means more gasoline for me. Look at the EV1 Gm made. Yea, it looked a lil goofy, but it got the job done for the people who WANTED that, and that's all that really matters. Nevermind that GM freaked out that people won't need to buy another car as soon.

We got to the point were are now with powerful fuel efficient motors because of the milage standards. What's going to kill powerful cars, is the emissions standards... AGAIN... Diesels get better milage, and it's crazy the kind of power you can pump out of them with just a new Program that puts emissions to the wind. Yet it still gets the same, if not better milage. What good are those emissions standards, when to do so, you use MORE fuel for the same car, and have less power... so you actually have to use a bigger motor to get the same performance.

Too much is being placed on CO2 emissions. That is the true issue here.

But, I'm the guy who has had daily drivers with no 3rd and 4th gear. Once, it was a car with 4.10's. I still drove it, because it put a smile on my face everyday.

Last edited by MrCadillac; 12-05-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have always had suvs, 93 explorer and a 2000 explorer so i wasnt use to good gas mileage til i had my civic. Like schultz said if they made a suv that would get 30+mpg that would be awesome and i know they can do it just depends on when they do it.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
You think they don't have the technology to make an SUV get 30+ MPG's? Your crazy.
They do.. the equinox\terrain
Old 12-09-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

E85 is not the answer. When we have resorted to food for fuel something is wrong.
We are approaching a time when we have done all we can with a internal combustion engine. E85 was just a push to by mfg's time. They get to average a car that is flex fuel to 100mpg. This is how the cut down on their epa cost and boost average fuel economy standards.

diesel is the future my opinion
Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cgroh89
E85 is not the answer. When we have resorted to food for fuel something is wrong.
We are approaching a time when we have done all we can with a internal combustion engine. E85 was just a push to by mfg's time. They get to average a car that is flex fuel to 100mpg. This is how the cut down on their epa cost and boost average fuel economy standards.

diesel is the future my opinion
Agree. Gas motors are about maxed out when it comes to fuel efficiency. People these days are tooo damn needy. Now even the economy cars have hybrids to achieve the same mpg's when old metro, civic, saturn's could get 40mpg no problem. They are too heavy, and overloaded with nonsense.

E85 was not the magic cure for gas (even though it was portrayed that way) it was an alternative to lower at little of the overall consumption of gasoline.

My bet is diesel. I wish GM would take a good look at diesels and not spend money on hybrids. Then again knowing how GM is; they would change the heads on an LSx an make a disaster...again. Remember the old 350's hahahaha

Last edited by chevy8806; 12-17-2009 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Poll: Setting Higher Fuel Standards for Automobiles