Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Should I get a Mike Norris tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a Mike Norris tune?

Ok, so I have heard Mike is the man when it comes to tuning these cars! I have talked to him on the phone and he seems like a really nice guy! My car is at RPM right now getting some shift solenoids replaced, and on the way back down to the southside I had talked to Mike about stopping in to get a problem with my car corrected. The car threw code P0121 and was running really funky. So I had the code cleared and now the car is running much better. But who knows when its going to pop the code again! I have read on here that it can be a pain in the *** in some cammed cars, and you just have to play around with it. So I am definitely going to have him figure that out. But my question is, would it be worth the money to have him do an all out tune to make sure everything else is as good as it can be too? A guy on here tuned my car, and did a great job. But I know he doesnt have the equipment and resources that Mike does, and its Mikes job, and the guy who did mine was just doing it part time. So basically what im asking is it worth the money for me to get a dyno tune when I already have a pretty dang good tune on the car?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

I have seen a few cars that he has tuned and they gained a decent amount of power from the first pull to the last pull. I am not gonna say that will happen on every car but if your tune is off I am sure he can improve it. I like to wait until I get a another mod or two before I retune. 5-10 extra hp is not worth $400 (idk what he charges, most tunes are about that). I guess the best person to talk to would be Mike, he would be able to tell you what he can do and if your code is something that needs addressed right now.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:14 AM
Staging Lane

Exactly what I think!! But when you do decide to get a tune Mike should be the only option! Helped me out so many times DaytonaF1C6 has seen my car in action he knows he did a good job.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Mike did my car. I am very happy with the way it runs.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Launching!

another a+ for mike he did my h/c/i car runs strong!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Teching In

He tuned 2 of my buddies cars, watched both of them, along with a guy who happenned to be there getting his car tuned one of the times. He seems like a real cool guy that takes care of all his customers and have never heard anyone complain about him or his work. As soon as I get my cam in he will definately be the one tuning it!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

So just wanted to give you guys an update. took my car up to rpm like two weeks ago because I was having some problems with my level iv transmission. they changed out my shift solenoids, and re-routed my tranny cooler. they also told me that I had a MAF problem. well, on the way home i decided to drop the car off at mikes. he seemed like a really nice guy and he got started with the tuning. my girlfriend had gone up with me to pick up my car at RPM, and she was still with me, so we went and got some lunch. when i got back to mikes, he informed me that my rear tailshaft housing on my transmission had cracked during the tune. He did have enough time to get some pulls though, and he was able to fix the MAF problem, and pick up some power too! I was very impressed! Unfortunately he wasnt going to be able to get the new tailshaft housing till the next day, so i had to leave the car there. I also had a family vacation planned for the next day. Luckily, Mike was nice enough to let me keep the car there till yesterday when I got back. He installed the tailshaft housing at a VERY reasonable price, and met me at his shop yesterday on my way home from Michigan. Anyways, the car is running better then ever, and I am VERY PLEASED with the work he did! I reccomend him to absolutely everyone, he's as nice of guy as you'll find!

BTW he had some awesome cars up there. A couple black c6's and a yellow c5 z06. There was also a nice looking white ls1 z28, and an awesome chevy ss truck there from new jersey! I give Mike two thumbs up for sure!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Mike tuned my car and did a great job. My car is stock and I gained 90 rwhp. Now don't get too excited thinking your car will make that too! I had a few problems since it was a hybrid swap. The main problem being the filter was directly mounted on the MAF which he said usually you need 6" of straight pipe before and after to get good readings.

Either way I was pleased. He also tuned my buddy's car and he was pleased as well. I personally feel its dumb to spend money on your car with a bunch of performance parts and then cheap out on a tune. Do it right, get a tune.

thumbs up to Mike, i'll be back once I get my intake, cam and long tubes on. (not for a while!)
Old 08-01-2010, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

My car actually gained about 30 hp, but i know that a majority of that was from my MAF problems. But im sure some of it was due to his tuning as well! Anyways, once again, I cant say how happy I am with the experience!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

well the car is still running great. but i did notice something today. when i have the ac on max turned up all the way, and as cold as it will go, the car wont start without some throttle. and also, when i was out messing around a back road in the middle of nowhere, I tried messing around with launching the car. again the ac was on, and after launching the car, i saw someone coming down the road on a moped. so i got on the brakes pretty hard so i wouldnt scare them. when i got on the brakes hard, the rpms dropped really low and the car almost stalled out. so this got my attention, and after the moped passed and i was sure the road was cleared again, i did the same thing. i launched the car hard, and then got on the brakes a few seconds later, and the car died. now, is this normal? it doesnt seem to be a problem with the ac off. i dont remember having this problem before the retune. the car runs waaayyy better in every other way, im just wondering if this is normal. also, the previous tuner had tuned out my front 02s.. Mike said something about this affecting warm up times and idle. could this be a factor? i plan on calling mike and talking to him about this tomorrow, but thought i post this so i could be more educated on the subject. or if its normal, ill make sure i dont waste his time. haha thanks guys!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

maybe a vaccum leak?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

typically a cammed car will stumble a little when a/c is on or you are on the brakes hard and when you are doing a three point turn or any form of turning the wheels really far at slow speed. I would think the combination of any of these may kill the car every now and then. My LS1 with a torquer 2 did occassionally but not too often. I wouldn't worry about it if it doesn't happen all the time.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

ah i see. yeah i figured some of it was normal. it hasnt happened during normal driving, but it will occasionally drop down around 500 every once in awhile. it really only happens when in a certain situation. like if you were doing a burnout in place and then started going forward and then you slammed on the brakes. like when your doing a burnout before a race.