Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

UNOH College Grad Looking for Job! INDY

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UNOH College Grad Looking for Job! INDY

I'll be graduating from the University of Northwestern Ohio on May 3rd with an Associates Degree in High Performance Motorsports Technology (~3.3GPA). I'm looking to buy a house in Indianapolis sometime this summer and want find a steady job before I do! Open to just about anything and willing to work hard. I have extensive training in everything driveline related and know a good amount about suspension setups as well. Have set up several 12 bolt and 9" builds in my classes. Rebuilt powerglides, t5, t56, and some GForce Transmissions. I have taken engine machining and fabrication classes, and all general automotive classes offered at UNOH. Resume and Transcript available upon request!

Ethan Hubbard
ehubbard13@hotmail.com
317-512-0820
Old 05-25-2012, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Just thought I'd bump this. Been putting out resumes for nearly a month now and no one seems to be hiring.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to that school and checked it out a few years ago, had a buddy that went there. I was considering going, but then again every tom dick and hairy is a mechanic. Just didn't feel there was a high enough demand for it to attend the school.

When I was checking the place out, they told me they find you a job when your done, have you talked to anyone about this?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, their job placement is a joke if you ask me. I went for the "High Performance" program. They really go in depth on things in that program and I definitely learned a lot. 80% of the schooling was hands-on which is also good.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

I got a tour through the whole school, seemed really nice. I had the paper work filled out and everything but I backed out at last minute.

Just couldn't see myself paying that kind of money to become a mechanic. Most likely I would have ended up working at some crappy garage changing spark plugs or something stupid making **** pay.

There's not too many high performance shops around here, and the people that work at them usually stay at them, so getting a job at one would be hard to do.

I wish you luck finding a good job though, it might take a long time but hopefully you get were you wanna be.

Were a about in Lima did you stay, on campus or off? You would NOT believe how many people me and my friends called looking to rent a house up there when we were thinking about going and they told us we WILL NOT rent to the college students and hung the phone up.

Finally someone agreed to rent to us, we went and looked at the house and it was in a very bad neighborhood, like so bad I would not park my car there.

Lime is about an hour and half north of me.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:18 AM
11 Second Club

I actually stayed in Vaughnsville which is about 15 minutes north of Lima. Really small 'town' and the house I was in wasn't too bad. Rent was definitely cheap haha. I wouldn't have stayed on campus there if they paid me. They are stacking 6 people in the 3 bedroom/1bathroom dorms.. It's pretty bad haha
Old 05-26-2012, 02:19 AM
10 Second Club

ya might wanna start by lookin for a oil changer spot to get in the industry. cause real world experience is goin to mean way more then schooling
Old 05-26-2012, 02:24 AM
On The Tree

I noticed in Lima there is a lot of street racing going on there... Was there many people at UNOH with fbodys laying down good numbers?
Old 05-26-2012, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SexyTransAm
ya might wanna start by lookin for a oil changer spot to get in the industry. cause real world experience is goin to mean way more then schooling
That is probably what I will have to do. I just hate the idea of having learned as much as I did, and paid so much to learn it, only to be doing work that I could have done without the schooling But you're right, everyone has to start somewhere and that is usually at the bottome.

Originally Posted by HarleyZ28
I noticed in Lima there is a lot of street racing going on there... Was there many people at UNOH with fbodys laying down good numbers?
I personally thought the "race scene" was a joke up there. No one had anything with any power, and if they did they were smart enough not to bring it out and street race it haha. Ohio's street racing laws are pretty bad. I did have a few friend up there that had some badass fbodys though.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

i personally would of took high performance as a minor. and something else as a major. theres just not a big enough field for high performance work, wish there was, or i wouldnt of took diesel technology..but im not complaining, graduated 3 years ago, im 23 years old and making close to 40k a year already, working on semi trucks for a trucking company. aannd graduated from lincoln tech..the shittest school around. some places in the indy area won hire you if you came from there, lol. but good luck to you man. hopefully theres something out there for you.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true, high performance is fun but had to make a career out of, might make alil money but shitty benefits if any, my cousin and one of my buddies went there for auto, graduated and making kinda shitty money, 13-15 an hour.. i went to wyotech right out of high school for diesel and im making 60k a year with good benefits and im only 24...auto jobs are everywhere and dont pay well, but diesel mechs get payed more.. and fleet jobs are better too...but i would try smaller shops and maybe dealer ships to get in and start little and work your way up... jus takes time and experience..
Old 05-27-2012, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

The high performance course took all of the classes that the standard auto course offered lol. So technically it was 2 degrees but the diploma only says High Performance haha

Quick Reply: UNOH College Grad Looking for Job! INDY