Might apply for UNOH...got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Might apply for UNOH...got a few questions

Ok so here's the deal.
I'm 20 years old.....been working since i was 18
Currently a temp at a factory in TN and after working here a while I've been contemplating the idea of going back to school and have thought about going to the University of Northwestern Ohio for their automive technology and high performance program. With that being said I'm a little skiddish about the whole thing mainly because im not sure what to expect from the school and i don't know what kind of real world opportunities there are for that field. So if there are any people that have went to UNOH or have any good info about that would be great.

Also, if anyone has any idea what to do for living arrangements up there that would be great, i don't know the area so i don't know where to look for like a cheap apartment or something of the nature where i don't have to worry about getting shot or something lol

Sorry for the novel just have a lot of thoughts to process. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by 2000SSMAN; 08-02-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

If there is anyone who has any insight on this program or the lima area please let me know....it would really help me
Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UNOH is a great school( I have Famly that teaches there), as far as Lima is concerned, I would live on the west side close to the school. Or out side of town(Elida ect). Cost of living is cheap. Not much to do, there's some bad *** cars there. Good luck with it.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Launching!

I believe there is a member on here (buddy of mine) ethanws6 goes to school there. And he has learned alot.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

I went and took a tour of the place, it was nice, but the town itself was a **** hole if you ask me.

Seems like a lot of street racing goes down in that town also.

A buddy of mine went to that school and said he didn't care for it, talked to another guy who graduated and he said he didn't learn much more than he already knew.

There was a gentlemen on here not too long ago who went there and I think he was having a problem finding a job afterwards.

Honestly even after you go there and complete it, your most likely going to be working changing oil some place for awhile.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 AM
Staging Lane

Well thanks for your help with my questions guys. I really appreciate it. Still not quite sure what I'm gonna do but I do appreciate your time. All of this will definitely be taken into account.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some things in that school are a complete joke, but there is a lot to be learned there. There were very few things that I did not like about the school, but the dislikes did not out-way the likes haha. The school is a little expensive but I would say overall worth it. As far as living, stay away from the dorms.. no matter what lol. I would live outside of Lima. Elida is a good area. Gomer and Vaughnsville are just north of Lima (like 15 mintues) and they are very small towns that offer that "country" feel. I lived in vaughnsville for 2.5 years and never heard of a single crime being committed.

The only difference between Auto Tech diploma and The Auto/High Perf. Diploma is two classes. A/C and CECS(which goes further in depth about sensors and scan tools. You get three classes about electronics ie. sensors and ****, and one class about scan tools without taking CECS though). Also, the student population there is 90% retard hillbillies and 8% complete ricer ****, and about 2% knowledge, respectable people lol
Old 08-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Staging Lane

Ethanws6, are you still going to hook there or have you graduated? Seeing as you have attended the school I was wondering if you have found a job yet or have had any offers. I think that's the part that bugs me the most. I don't wanna leave my job and what money I do make to move to a new city and owe all that money for nothing. I mean yeah it would be nice to be able to go to learn what I don't know and for the experience but is it financially worth it? Thanks for your insight.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Teching In

I went there for a year for the High Performance program only (did my A1-A8 classes locally and transferred credit out there). This was back in 06 and my class was the first or second to use the newer facility at the back of the campus. Basically I found it to be like most other tech schools in that it is only as useful as you make it. If you go there with the attitude that you want to learn and succeed then you definitely will but if you go there and screw off like a lot of kids do then you won't learn a damn thing.

They didn't do much with job placement when I was there but that may have changed since then. I was able to land a job on my own at a performance parts manufacturer in CT about a year after I graduated and am now the lead technician there so there are some jobs in the field, you just need to know where to look.

I stayed in the dorms since I knew I was only going to be there for a short time but like someone else said they are pretty dumpy so it's definitely worth it to look into a place off campus either near the school or outside of Lima. The town is pretty bad too but there was just about anything you NEEDED right within a few minutes drive.

Hope this helps you a little

Jim
Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Teching In

I just completed some training there last week. I taught at Lincoln Tech in Indy for 5 years, and now teach Diesel Technology at a high school in Indy. Like it has been said before, you get out of it what you put into it. The harder you work at it, the more you learn, the better it will pay off.

From earlier posts, it seems like the clientelle is alot like the students at Lincoln Tech. That being said, please do not consider Lincoln at all. It is a business, publicly traded, which means the #1 priority is making money. They will push anyone through the classes. Its too bad because there is some excellent instructors there full of knowledge. UNOH is privately owned and money isn't a number one priority. Maintaining their reputation is.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:52 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry I haven't been on to reply....been busy lately....thanks for all of the additional oppinions
Old 08-14-2012, 04:10 AM
11 Second Club

Go find a 4 year engineering program at a school and get a bachelors degree.

I know a ton of people that did the 2 year tech programs and coming out the pay sucks and it's hard to find jobs. The extra 2 years will pay off.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
Go find a 4 year engineering program at a school and get a bachelors degree.

I know a ton of people that did the 2 year tech programs and coming out the pay sucks and it's hard to find jobs. The extra 2 years will pay off.
thanks for the input...i think ive decided i just cant afford to do it at this time but the help from everyone was great...btw i have to say it GO VOLS

Quick Reply: Might apply for UNOH...got a few questions