Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

1987 IROC-Z Build Thread BrandoLSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 IROC-Z Build Thread BrandoLSX

I am newer to this site and figured I'd start by posting up my build thread.

I bought this car in High School in 2003 from my parents. My mom bought this car and never drove it. It just sat. It had a short in the cable going to the battery and it kept dying on her. She didn't know why until I bought it off her. Found the problem, replaced the cable, and it ran fine ever since.

The car is originally a 305 5.0 TPI car. With a 700R4 trans and a 3.23 rear POSI read end and had 40,000 miles on it. Never seen a winter, no rust, and original paint. The engine wasn't the cleanest one out there.

In high school I was into systems so I built and installed a custom enclosure with two 12" kenwood subwoofers, an amp and Capacitor.

Teching In

I put a nice lopey idle cam in the car and thought I was badass. A few months later I spun a bearing. So I decided to build an engine. I wanted to go at least 350 and I was young and thinking a LS would be too much work. So I went with a 350 ZZ4 forged lower end. I bought a nice set of RHS heads, Comp Cams Cam, Lifters, Springs, stud girdles, Push Rods, and a TPIS MiniRam Intake. I am running 42lb injectors and a MSD 6AL Ignition box. . I fully regret not going LS and never will let myself live it down.

Old 305 Parts:

Teching In

New Parts:

Old 01-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Teching In

I decided last winter that I really wanted to update the look of my car. My stock Iroc Wheels were peeling and the braking power wasn't the greatest. So I decided it was time to upgrade the braking system in my Camaro. I searched forums and many websites to get ideas of where to go with this. I originally started with wanted to just do an LS1 upgrade. The further I got looking into it, the C5 Corvette brake set-up wasn't much more and looked way bigger. I was contemplating on cutting the spindles myself and make my own brackets. But the more I thought about it, this could cost me much more time and money than it's worth. So I knew about a site called bigbrakeupgrade.com. I emailed them with all my questions concerns. Scott (runs the upgrade site) emailed me back everyday until all my questions were answered. He was very informative and helpful. You basically send your stock spindles in as a core and then they will send back everything you need. They even offer powder coating.

The Old Spindles are off.

Teching In

Once I got the spindles off and ready to ship out, I really examined everything in the wheel well and decided I might as well clean it up while I have everything apart. My underbody coating was cracking and falling off. My springs, struts, and control arm were still in perfect functioning condition but just looked rough. So I decided to powder coat the control arm and clean and paint the other parts. I also wanted to fix the cracking rubberized coating in the wheel well, so I scrapped it all off and recoated it.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Teching In

I tried a few different ways to get the bushing out of the control arms. I tried getting them pressed out and drilling the centers out in hopes that they would just fall apart. Then, thanks to youtube I found a very simple way to remove them. All you need to do is drill a drill bit in between the edge of the bushing and the wall of the control arm. Start the drill slowly and it will start walking around the outside of the bushing. After no time at all the bushing pushed itself out.

Finally got the control arms back from the powder coater.

New Stainless Steel Brakelines

Teching In

And Finally, New Brake Kit arrived )))))))

With the Rears:

New Bushings:

And the New Rims in:

I decided to go with Nitto 555 tires. I put some Nitto 555R Drag Radials in the back.

Sneak Peak:

View Through the wheels.
Teching In

Since I had the springs off all winter, the car sits higher than is did before the winter. She has been lowering a bit each week. She should sit back down where she was before I took everything apart. When I had my engine out the car did the exact same thing. It looked like I jacked the front end up.

After a nice fresh buff:

I took the System out a while ago and no longer have one in the car. The front end needs lowered but the car stays in a underground garage with a incline drive to get it out. It scrapes sometime as it is, so I am waiting until I get a place to keep it that I can just drive straight out of.
I currently installing a 4th gen rear end. I am tearing it down and putting a 4.10 Motiv gear in it. I have a "LS1" Brake set-up to put on that with matching rotors and powder coating as the fronts. The 4th gen rear end is longer than the third gen one and won't require me to have spacers on the back.

Also planning on ripping out the trans and getting it re-built with shift kit and putting a 3500 stall converter in it. My car is a dog right now without it. So hopefully by this summer it will all be done so I can see what this engine has got. Maybe I won't hold the non LS engine decision over my head.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Really clean iroc. Still love the 3rd gens. Would love to have one.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lookin' good! Keep it up! I love the ole I-ROC's
Old 01-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys! Still wishing I got that LS engine instead. Oh well gonna finish up this project and move on to another vehicle!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Teching In

very clean car looks good
Old 01-15-2013, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the car! Wish I would still have had mine
Old 02-10-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Very clean and nice car. I want a third gen firebird to go with my 98. I tried to buy one the week before I bought my formula and they sold it. Did you ever have your car on a dyno after the new engine went in? Do you know what your car weighs? Very nice car keep this thread updated lots of people love a nice looking third gen
Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice car, I really like the wheels and brakes. How do the brakes feel? I need to upgrade my brakes soon.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's not worth anything with that motor. Just sell it to me lol! I absolutely love IROC's. Beautiful car man!

Quick Reply: 1987 IROC-Z Build Thread BrandoLSX