Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Hello Chicago (Elgin)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hello Chicago (Elgin)

I wanted to see if there is anyone on the board from the Elgin, IL area? I am having a new house built there and will be moving in mid April. I was wondering if there are any good places to hang out around Elgin? Are there any track near by?

Below is the car I am bringing with me. I plan on putting it up for sale this spring and looking at a G8 that I can build. How is the market in the Chicago area for selling F-Bodys?

Appearance:
White Faced Gauges
Boyd Coodington Rims
20% Tint on Rear & Side Windows

Performance:
Linginfelter Shortblock W/Forged Diamond Pistons
Fast 92MM Intake (Ported By Texas Speed)
PTM 92MM TB
PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L Heads (milled .023)
ARP Head Bolts
SVO 30lb Red Top Injectors
Texas Speed 233/239 596/605 112lsa Cam
Long Tubes & Off Road Y Pipe
Borla Catback (Adjustable Plate System)

Transmission:
Vigilante 4,000 Converter
Transmission Was Pulled Apart About 6,000 Miles Ago For Full Upgrade
(Servos, Sun Shell, Clutches Etc.)
Newer Trans Cooler

Suspension:
New BMR Swaybars
BMR Upper & Lower Control Arms
Poly Trans Mount
Transmission Crossmember
BMR Weld In Subframe Connetors
Adjustable Koni Shocks

Rear End:
Stock 10 Bolt W/ 3:73 Gears
TA Rearend Support Cover

Brakes:
Upgraded Cross Drilled & Slotted Brakes
Upgraded Front Calipers

Odds & Ends:
New MT ET Streets 315/40/17s Were Installed About 1,000 Miles Ago
Tuned By Dr. Phil

Put Down 425RWHP on a stingy Mustang dyno with the converter unlocked. Redline is set at 7,000 and the car was still building power. See Video Clips Below:

Idle Videos (sorry for the bad camera work)

Later,

Bill
Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Moved from there back in 94...never looked back.

The only track I have been to out there was a dirt track.

http://www.sycamorespeedway.com/
Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

I live right by Elgin, about 20 min away but do a lot of work in elgin. You should be able to sell the car no problem, there's always people around here looking for clean 4th gens. Sycamore speedway is close but it is a dirt track. Byron dragway isn't too far tho and either is Great Lakes. Are you gonna be right off of Randall?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kciaccio
Moved from there back in 94...never looked back.

The only track I have been to out there was a dirt track.

http://www.sycamorespeedway.com/
What part did you live in? I am building off of US20 West of Randall Road. Very nice upscale area. Have you seen what Elgin looks like lately? Randall road has new stores from 90 south, mile after mile. It really has come a long way. Nothing like what it was back in the 90s.

Thanks for the link.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bill'sWS6
What part did you live in? I am building off of US20 West of Randall Road. Very nice upscale area. Have you seen what Elgin looks like lately? Randall road has new stores from 90 south, mile after mile. It really has come a long way. Nothing like what it was back in the 90s.

Thanks for the link.
My dad still lives out that way in Montague Forest...I grew up on the east side in the 70's and 80's. Decent folk have been driven out of the town. Where you are going is the last hold out for Elgin.

I don't know where you are moving from but where you are going to is almost dead last on my list to move too.

Last edited by kciaccio; 03-01-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Elgin is nice, lots of new homes there.

You're closer to Byron Dragway, but I typically test and tune at Great Lakes Dragaway since I typically go on weeknights.

I have a broker buddy who also sometimes sells on consignment if you want to see what he would do, just email me at john@motorsports-media.com for his info. If you can't sell for your number, I'd consider putting it somewhat back to stock.

I've been modding my Camaro these cars are heavy but can get quick with the right parts.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigbird01
I live right by Elgin, about 20 min away but do a lot of work in elgin. You should be able to sell the car no problem, there's always people around here looking for clean 4th gens. Sycamore speedway is close but it is a dirt track. Byron dragway isn't too far tho and either is Great Lakes. Are you gonna be right off of Randall?
I will be a little west of Randall Rd. off of US20. A nice new sub with great homes. Elgin is booming as far as new businesses go. Randall Rd has just about everything you could need or want.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Elgin is nice, lots of new homes there.

You're closer to Byron Dragway, but I typically test and tune at Great Lakes Dragaway since I typically go on weeknights.

I have a broker buddy who also sometimes sells on consignment if you want to see what he would do, just email me at john@motorsports-media.com for his info. If you can't sell for your number, I'd consider putting it somewhat back to stock.

I've been modding my Camaro these cars are heavy but can get quick with the right parts.
Yea, seems like Elgin has turned the corner and is drawing in a lot of new people with the new subs they have going up. We looked at Barrington but we weren't going to pay $16,000 a year in taxes With that I could get a nice turbo setup.

Thanks for the info on the broker. I will contact them when I get into town, mid April. Maybe I will head up to Great Lakes one night and check it out. I have free time to go to the track on week day evenings. About how long of a drive is it from Elgin? My car runs decent, mid 11's with no ability to get a good launch with the 4,000 converter. I am running MT ET Streets and the converter overpowers the tires. Mid 1.8 60's is the best I have gotten out of it. I may do a converter swap. Maybe down to a 3,600 or 3,800 and a little tighter to see if I can get into the 1.6/1.5 60's. I think that would put me in the 11.3 range.

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited by Bill'sWS6; 03-03-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:45 PM
8 Second Club

I live in Elgin on the far east side tho.Rt20 and Shales parkway. I have a slow LT1 car.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z8'S
I live in Elgin on the far east side tho.Rt20 and Shales parkway. I have a slow LT1 car.
Sure, aren't all LT1 cars slow, LOL. Nice to know there is someone in the area. Is there any hang out spots in the summer to check out some of the local cars?

Quick Reply: Hello Chicago (Elgin)