Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Anyone know of a good differential shop in Chicago suburbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Anyone know of a good differential shop in Chicago suburbs

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/299498-differiential-ring-gear-lateral-play.html

Looks like I need to have my gears reset. I'm not comfortabnle doing this myself. I really need it done right the first time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
Old 04-02-2005, 06:46 PM
14 Second Truck Club

North, south, west?
Old 04-02-2005, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

West, but I'll drive where ever to have them done RIGHT.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:51 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Ill get a list of shops together, but most will probably try to talk you into new gears. Ther is a chance that since they have been run that way that they may never be quiet again.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

I appreciate your help!!!!

This is fustrating me so bad, I almost want to throw in the towl on my next round of mods that are already scheduled. I've been considering putting the 10 bolt back in and selling the car. This will be the 3rd set of gears.

Do you know what price range I'll be looking at? With new gears and with out.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know Speed Inc. can do it for you and FLP or Straightline might also be able to do it. Check out the sponsor list on the right-hand side. ---->
(And remember, no posts about non-sponsors.)
Old 04-15-2005, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Well I think I found a good shop.

Windy City - I won't mention any names since they're not a sponser.

Let me just say that I'm very lucky I took it in when I did. According to the shop they took the main caps off and the diff & ring damn near fell out of the rear end. All they did was pull it out by hand, no resistance and no prying. They said they've never seen anything like this before. They were pretty surprised that there was no damage to the bearing, race, or ring & pinion. They said the bearings were properly pressed in. They even checked to see if the case had spread, which it hadn't. They're currently working on shimming it up and should have it together soon.

Needless to say I'm dissapointed this took presedence over headers and a clutch I had planned and I'm not ready for drag racing this weekend, but I'm glad I'm getting it fixed.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Found me a new shop!!!! $235 to reset the gears. He warned me before I took it in that they probably weren't going to be quiet since they already had a pattern worn into them. He reset them, gave me back the car without billing me. He said "Bring it back in a couple week and let me know if you want me to put in new gears." "Either way", he said "he'd change the fluid and make sure the gears weren't building up to much play." As soon as I drove it home it was at least 1/2 as load and at a lower pitch. I called him to make an appointment to bring it back. He checked it over and the gears are doing fine. He filled it back up and only charged me for 1 fluid change.

I will say he did warn me that noisy gears is usually a sign that there not going to last and that I could bring it back to him at the end of the summer and check it out again.

I just don't want to spend a ton on a whole new set of gears and bearings to find out it's gonna get worse after I drag race it a few times.

Quick Reply: Anyone know of a good differential shop in Chicago suburbs