Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

pulled over for window tint, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 11:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default pulled over for window tint, what to do?

Hey all, well while cruising last night i passed a bank and noticed 2 cops i nthere, one had a car pulled over with this lights on, other one chillin. Well i was at the light by them at prolly 15 mph in a 40 zone due to stop light, he whips out and pulls me over...... i was like WTF. Anyway i find out its for my window tint he tells me. I have 35% on sides and hatch. This was at like 11 at night with all windows up and tops on so it probably looked really dark. He jsut told me to get it fixed as i can NOT have ANY tint on my windows, only top 4 inches. Well my dad is very ****. Im 16, he has paid for half my car and i am finishing up paying the rest so i can mod. He has it on his dealer insurance to help me out. He said if i get a ticket he is taking the car away. Well the cop didnt give me a fix it ticket or anything, jsut told me to fix it. Now should i tell my dad? I hardly ever drive with windows up, it was jsut really cold last night. Think there is any chance that cop will pull me over for random check or anything and see i did not fix it? I really dont want to remove my tint and it is so suddle. Should i tell him or jsut forget about it? Please help. Figured my topic would best fit into this section as it deals with cops.

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 09-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is legal, leave it alone. If its not legal, you are breaking the law. Dont depend on a cop being in a good mood. There job is to write tickets.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,204 Posts

I'm not sure what MI laws are like specifically, but most states don't have any law against tinting the rear window. The sides are an issue in many states, but not the rear. In IL you could paint your rear glass black if you wanted and it's fine. Just that the sides can't have tint. So he said that the back was illegal as well? Odd.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Import Patrol

tint, is not a moving ticket, it does not show on your record, so leave it on if you like it. Tint tickeks here in IL are like 20-25 dollars, but some town's like in cicero out here, they will make u peel it off in front of them or they will tow ur car. (well atleast it happened to a buddy of mine)
Old 09-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Launching!

I'd research the tint laws in Michigan and then I might consider talking to the same cop about it. Hunt him down and pull him over. Just be polite and be ready to prove and explain that your tint is within the legal limits and I'm sure he'll get off your back. Most cops arent trying to be dicks.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michigan tint law
Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Any darkness can be applied 4" inches from the top of the window.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.
Looks like you need to cut the top 4" off the side windows, and you'll be legal
Old 09-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Restricted User

Tint isnt a moving violation. I drove around with 20% tint on the sides with 5% on my hatch for 2 years now. No one has given me a ticket of it, they usually just use it to pull you over late at night to make sure you're not drinking or anything. I was told this many times. If you get pulled over, both windows go down right away and just tell them, i know its illegal, and i know it endangers you, but that's why i had them both all the way down before you got up to the car so you could see in like you normally could. Generally if you do that, they are caught off gaurd and start to like you. i've never gotten a license plate, tint, or exhaust ticket in the two years i've had mine, and i was 16 when i bought it.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,204 Posts

Originally Posted by NBM2001Z28
Tint isnt a moving violation. I drove around with 20% tint on the sides with 5% on my hatch for 2 years now. No one has given me a ticket of it, they usually just use it to pull you over late at night to make sure you're not drinking or anything. I was told this many times. If you get pulled over, both windows go down right away and just tell them, i know its illegal, and i know it endangers you, but that's why i had them both all the way down before you got up to the car so you could see in like you normally could. Generally if you do that, they are caught off gaurd and start to like you. i've never gotten a license plate, tint, or exhaust ticket in the two years i've had mine, and i was 16 when i bought it.
Exactly.

The way you act has a lot to do with whether or not you'll get a ticket.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Launching!

But to answer the question. DO NOT TELL YOUR FATHER.
And try to find that same cop and talk to him about what others have stated above.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Default An idea

Just an idea. I think it would be a good idea IF your tint is legal to carry a copy of your receipt from the company that did it stating what is on the windows.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hey, well no it is not legal. As 2K2WS6TA stated, i can only have tint on the top 4 inches of my front side windows. So considering my whole front side windows are 35%, its illegal. So i should jsut leave it and if i do get pulled over again, they can...
a.) let me go again as they did this time
b.) Give me a fix it ticket
c.) Peal it off right there
Is that correct? So i really cant get a ticket that will stick with me or a major fine? If so im not gunna tell my dad and jsut let it be. If this is a reoccuring thing, i may take it off but since 95% of the time i have my windows down and t-tops off, i shouldnt have any mroe problems. It was a cold night so i had all up and it was pitch black so it prolly looked like 5% to the cop, or it could have been an excuse to pull me over to see if i was drinking or what not. The cop was not a dick at all and was very nice, asked a few questions, where i came from, etc. Bad part is, i drive with a dealer plate, one of the parts my dad is so **** about is because it is on his insurance and if i screw up, incurance on all the cars he has goes up or something like that. Any idea how much a month it would be to insure full coverage on my car to a 16 year old for jsut half the year. I have heard in range from 200-500 a month from people, anyone know a real close estimate. I can probably swing a 200-300 a month once i get this car paid off but 300 may be pushing it. Think i should stick around under my fathers controls and have to worry about every infraction and not pay any insurance or pay the whole bunch of loot a month and live life to the fullest and egt the hassle off my back? Im not going to worry about the tint since the consequences are so minimal my dad wouldnt find out even if iwas ticketed for it anyway? Correct? Is it like a parking ticket where i jsut go and pay cash?

Old 09-04-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Superman09
The cop was not a dick at all and was very nice, asked a few questions, where i came from, etc.
you kind of answered your own question. Normally, they won't pull you over for just the tint but to find out a little more. With something as simple as tint, you've given them probable cause. They can now run your plate to see if you are wanted/have an active warrant, search your car, question you, etc.

Sounds like the officer in your case just wanted to check things out. After all, when things are slow that's what they get paid to do.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Alright sounds cool, this was my first time ever being pulled over so i am a little nervous now, lol. Anyone know a price of insurance for me. Full coverage for 6 months out of the year, 16 year old, price per month approx?

Old 09-04-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

my brothers tint ticket was 75 bucks, so he just removed the tint. i have a docs note which i had to use 2 times so far in my truck which is really noticeable bc it has 5% and is a 2 door and all black. either pay the ticket, or get it removed. u could also go back to the tint shop and have them remove it and then put it back on after court maybe for a discounted price. to get the fix it ticket cleared out of court, u have to get the back signed by any cop in your city, my buddy once took a picture of a similiar car he had to a lady cop he found and told her he has a pic of "his" car w/o tint and he couldnt bring it bc it is getting fixed in a shop lol. it worked

good luck
Old 09-04-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont leave your dads insurance if u dont have to. him having more then one car, his insurance will be cheap the more cars u have. we have 7 cars now and its really cheap per car, i wouldnt even think about leaving AAA and going on my own yet. u keep asking what a monthly price would be, do a google search for progressive, gieco, AAA etc etc and get a online qoute or just call your dads company or any other one. i doubt that all his cars insurance payments will go up if u get a ticket, usually only that cars payments go up. ive been pulled over about 15 times between age 16-19 and i go to court every time. if u want to pull the tint off yourself, it sucks, alot of glue is left behind. IMO pay this ticket, then go to your eye doctor or find a doctor to write you a letter that says u should have tints on your vehicle bc of eye problems, and a letter not a note. my buddy got a note and it never worked for him. i worked at beaumont hospital and got a nice letter with a seal on it and all.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Concerning Insurance.

I was 18 yrs old (still am), when i baught my transam, I was going to put car in my name it was gonna cost me 6500 a yr. Thats on top of my 68 mustang and 96 grandmarquis.

So I threw it in moms name it now its 1400 a yr.

For being 16... Your prolly talking 7-8k a yr.

I can ask my uncle if you want he deals in insurance.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

yeah insurance on an F-body in Michigan being 16 isn't going to be cheap even on a parent's plan let alone trying to pay for it yourself on your own plan. I'm debating whether or not to get tint. Personally having the back tinted and only being able to tint 4" of the front windows looks ugly IMO. What % is the factory tint on the car? I saw 35% tint on top of a 7% factory tint on my friends 96 9c1 Caprice the other day and it's not dark at all. I guess I could get away w/ it in my car because I'd tell them I bought it like that and don't have the cash to have it removed. Heck my friend has a fleetwood his grandpa from FL gave him. It has like 20% tint on all windows except the front and he's never been ticketed.

Matt
Old 09-05-2005, 09:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Alright, well now can this same cop pull me over for a "check" even if my windowes are down or does he have to see the tint again in order to pull me over. Well i didnt even get a ticket this time, i jsut dont want to get one

Old 09-06-2005, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

that just gives them a reason to pull you over. if u have a light eye color u can get a note from the optomitrist to let u have tints. I have one and i have used it.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Im 16 too and I had a cop pull me over while drivin my Chevelle home from school because of my Antique Vehicle plates another one of those BS things and i have tints on that (20%) and they didnt give me a hard time. I guess its wat the cops are picky about. Evan if u do get a ticket you can go to the local court house and pay it w/o ur dad knowing. My friends have expirence with that.

Quick Reply: pulled over for window tint, what to do?