Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Me and the GF taking a trip to Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Me and the GF taking a trip to Chicago

I have some vacation to use and since I'm not going to be able to see my Longhorns on the road, I thought it'd be cool to visit Chicago since I've never been. I'm a huge sports fan and since I was a kid I've always wanted to spend an afternoon at Wrigley Field drinking beer watching the Cubies play. We're thinking about going on the weekend of Sept 16-17 when the Cubs have a weekend series with the Reds, and then maybe heading to Soldier Field to see the Da Bears take on the Lions that Sunday.

Besides the Sears Tower and some big aquarium my GF wants to go to, what else is a must see there? Any places I have to eat? I'm a pretty big history buff so any historical places would be cool too. Where is a good place to stay that has pretty easy access to all these places? I'm guessing the subway goes to Wrigley and Soldier Field? Any tips on anything would be great.

Also, how easy is it to get tickets to these games?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
I'm a huge sports fan and since I was a kid I've always wanted to spend an afternoon at Wrigley Field drinking beer watching the Cubies play. We're thinking about going on the weekend of Sept 16-17 when the Cubs have a weekend series with the Reds
You are taking your girlfriend to see the Cubs "play"? You must not really love her, huh?
Old 07-24-2006, 01:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,149 Likes on 747 Posts

You can take public transportation to Wrigley Field and Soldier Field.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:42 PM
NKAWTG...N

Besides the Sears Tower and some big aquarium my GF wants to go to, what else is a must see there? Any places I have to eat? I'm a pretty big history buff so any historical places would be cool too. Where is a good place to stay that has pretty easy access to all these places? I'm guessing the subway goes to Wrigley and Soldier Field? Any tips on anything would be great.

There are always scalpers, but if you go that route it really is luck on what kind of seats you get.

That big aquariem is the Shed, it's nice. You should also look at the Museam of Science and Industry or the Field Museam. Lots of cool shizat there. Union Station will drop you off into pretty much the center of the city and then use the L ("subway") for everything else. Most of the museam's , buildings, and the lake is within walking distance from Union Station.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you take a train to Union Station or do you have to drive there? Are there any good hotels around that area?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Lots of hotels down michigan avenue, but make your reservations soon.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if you've seen this so, just putting it out there.
http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/
Old 07-24-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Since the Cubs stink this year, its easy to get tickets at below face from the brokers near the park. If you go during the week you can get a $40 bleacher seat for $20.

If you are a baseball fan, do yourself a favor and don't go see a minor league team. You can take the train (red line) to the southside and watch some real baseball.

Edit: Sorry, just checked the schedule, the Sox are not in town that weekend. I guess you'll have to go to Wrigley. If you see some fool repeatedly yelling "Cubs woo, Cubs woo, please puch him in the face for me. thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For eats check out the Illinois Bar and Grill on Taylor St. 1ilb hambugers that are worth their weight in gold and clogged arteries. If you're hear on the weekends check out Rush street, lots of crazy bars if you've got the cash to throw away. Other than that I dunno, I lived in chicago for a long time and remember very little of it due to college shanagans.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Here is a link to the all the train lines.

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/systemmaps.html
Old 07-24-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys. It looks like it's bus only to Soldier Field and the Shedd Aquarium. Is it worth driving there in a rental or is bus the only way? Also, where abouts on Michigan Ave is a good place to stay with alot of food/attractions withing walking distance? It looks like there's some shopping district on the north side of the river which would lead me to believe this is where the hotels are? Also, which areas should I stay away from? I'm sure my cowboy hat, spurs, and horse will give away that I'm from Texas and it's just an invitation to get mugged.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont forget Navy Pier, also driving in chicago is a waste of time best to use the CTA or taxis.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,149 Likes on 747 Posts

What is your budget like for a hotel? That will probably dictate where you stay.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

u can always head over to millenium park and grant park/buckinham fountain too. and for the food situation, im italian so i am a little biased, but my vote is for tuscany's over in little italy. for hotels, price will dictate where u stay (as mentioned before) but there as so many nice hotels that im sure u will find one thats right for you. a couple of the ones i have stayed at include the drake, the palmer house, the renisassance, the hilton, and the marriot. all of them are in good locations in the city. oh and u could always check out where they are building the new trump tower haha. its suppose to be the secpmd tallest building in chicago behind the sears when they finish.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd say under $100 a night, but I have no idea what that'll get me up there.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

What about seeing the Blue Man Group? I've enjoyed watching them a couple months ago.

For a hotel you won't be able to stay in the city for under $100 though.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Motorboater

i would say maybe take a look at www.hotwire.com for a hotel.

how long will you be in town again? there is so much **** to do around here you can stay busy every day for a week all day no problem doing sports stuff, historical stuff, etc etc.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

if your stay in chicago for awhile, treat urseld man, its an awesome city, stay at the drake hotel and go to navy peir, then do all the thing u want to do. Day at Navy Peir is awesome!