Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

You guys without garages please read

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default You guys without garages please read

Hey guys i am gonna have to store my car outside here pretty soon, since im moving and wont have a garage anymore. My question is im looking at getting a car cover for it to put on when im not driving it. What is probably the best cover i can buy for outdoor use. im looking for something that provides protection from everything. Im not sure if there is even a car cover that will block my car from the rain or not, but if there is i want something like that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Alot guys..
Old 03-03-2007, 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

When I had my 99TA I had to leave it outside too and I just bought a universal car cover from wal mart for around 30. It blocked rain and snow. It was a good fit because the cover would cover way under the nose of the car. My car was always wet though, but I would imagine that it was from condensation. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Cant You Rent A Place To Park. I Would Never Leave My Car Outside. It Is Like Leaving Your First Born Outside.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

outside isn't so bad, I mean come on they left Moses outside,

Last edited by sworaz; 03-03-2007 at 11:37 AM. Reason: outside
Old 03-03-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

My Car Would Cry If He Was Outside.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sworaz
When I had my 99TA I had to leave it outside too and I just bought a universal car cover from wal mart for around 30. It blocked rain and snow. It was a good fit because the cover would cover way under the nose of the car. My car was always wet though, but I would imagine that it was from condensation. Good luck.

my sister and bro-in-law bought me one from murray's
i used it even though the car was in the garage ( winter time ) and it marred
the finish. so i had to polish when srping time came around.

how much are you looking to spend ?? there are car cover websites, that describe the layers and if its best for outdoor / indoor usage. only thing is that they are a couple hundred bucks, dont know if you want to spend that much cash

plus, you'll be pulling it on and off all the time, gotta make sure the inside of the cover does not hit the ground and pick up debris
Old 03-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

I had to store mine last winter and I used a car cover then, one of those blue plastic tarps over that. It kept things pretty dry, but I did notce where the cover sat on the black bar between the T-tops it left some kind of imprint. you can see the weave pattern of the cover on the black plastic. I still haven't figured out how to get it off.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by superchargedbandit
My Car Would Cry If He Was Outside.
Mine would commit suicide.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

well see its not my daily driver, and i dont wanna rent a garage out for 2 months. Maybe i will just leave it out without the cover..
Old 03-03-2007, 01:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by JacobK
and i dont wanna rent a garage out for 2 months.
Why not?

I see local garages for rent for under $100 per month, from time to time.

I have a friend in Evanston that rents out a spot for $80/month, but both his garages are filled with renters at the moment.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

see i dont have the cash to be renting out a garage right now..And my car isnt actually quiet. So i mean if i decide to take it out at like 11 or 12 at night, im sure it would cause problems.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

see i dont have the cash to be renting out a garage right now..And my car isnt actually quiet. So i mean if i decide to take it out at like 11 or 12 at night, im sure it would cause problems.
Especially in Under ground parking!
Old 03-03-2007, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

I used to store my Formula outside back in the day, and at first I had it under a $30 cover and a blue tarp over that. It worked really good as far as keeping the car clean and dry, but there was a problem. I don't think I was getting enough air circulating under the cover and started to get corrosion on the aluminum brackets for the engine accessories. So I had to ditch the tarp and the problem was resolved, but now the car was not protected from rain and snow. And when it did rain on the car, of course it soaked through the cover and left the pattern of the cover all over it. First I had to wash the car and then find a place to hang the cover to dry it. That was a pain in the ***.
I don't know where you're moving but can you put up one of those portable garages, a metal frame with a tarp on it. Other than that, I would suggest storing it without a cover, just try to make sure there are no trees over or around it. If it snows, then I would clean the snow off right away just so it doesn't freeze to it.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by RPM Mark
I used to store my Formula outside back in the day, and at first I had it under a $30 cover and a blue tarp over that. It worked really good as far as keeping the car clean and dry, but there was a problem. I don't think I was getting enough air circulating under the cover and started to get corrosion on the aluminum brackets for the engine accessories. So I had to ditch the tarp and the problem was resolved, but now the car was not protected from rain and snow. And when it did rain on the car, of course it soaked through the cover and left the pattern of the cover all over it. First I had to wash the car and then find a place to hang the cover to dry it. That was a pain in the ***.
Ah yes, I remember those days. The Formulas.

Do you remember what I did to resolve that issue before we rented the first shop? I had that outdoor car cover with an outer shell made of Tyvek and a soft inner lining. That cover worked great! I bought it from Murray's, think it was about $80. And there was enough air circulating under the car to keep any aluminum corrosion away.

Only issue I had then was a very small amount of water seepage along one of the seams near the hood, it was streched pretty tight in that area.

Too bad that cover got destroyed in the last flood. Always figured I'd put in on the Camaro if it ever needed to sit outside for any reason.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I were you Id try to find a friend or relative neerby with a garage and ask if you can store your car there. Its worth a shot.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

well see its not my daily driver, and i dont wanna rent a garage out for 2 months. Maybe i will just leave it out without the cover..
I think that's your best bet imo. Any type of cover, whether designed for outdoor use or not, is going to trap moisture and condensation to some extent, as someone mentioned above. I think the elements are going to do less harm than a cover. I have one of those more expensive custom covers I used one year while storing the car in the garage over winter. The car was still dusty when I pulled it off and it ended up leaving some light scratches and swirls on the car. I'm really not a fan of car covers.

When I lived in a townhouse there were tons of single people with extra space in thier garages. Maybe a neighbor or friend ?
good luck
Old 03-03-2007, 10:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by SLPSS01
I have one of those more expensive custom covers I used one year while storing the car in the garage over winter. The car was still dusty when I pulled it off and it ended up leaving some light scratches and swirls on the car. I'm really not a fan of car covers.
If that's the case, then you paid too much for a POS cover.

I like CoverCraft brand the best. I have their Dustop series indoor cover. These are very expensive (~$200), custom fit covers that are made of the best possibile quality materials. The fit is perfect, like a glove. It has 4 layers bonded together for superior dust filtration, while maintaining excellent breathability. Even after 5 months of storage in my garage over the winter, there is not a single trace of dust on the car when I pull the cover off. I keep the car covered full time with this cover when not being driven; its never caused a single scratch or swirl, even on the black sail panel and mirrors. The innermost layer is ultra soft.

In general, you have to make sure that the surface is fully clean before you cover the car, otherwise any cover will scratch it.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-04-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:51 AM
TECH Junkie

california car cover is the only cover i use on my cars

they have ones made just for outdoor storage only. you'll pay for it, but these things are PERFECT

well worth the money!!!

you get what you pay for with the "universal" covers in my own opinion (walmart etc)
Old 03-04-2007, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

jake, ill watch it for you for 2 months, ill take good care of it!
Old 03-04-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro Ryder KV
jake, ill watch it for you for 2 months, ill take good care of it!
Sounds like a plan..But ill keep the keys with me..LOL..

Quick Reply: You guys without garages please read