Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

1998 Silver Camaro Z28

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1998 Silver Camaro Z28

I'm going sell my camaro.

I'd like to do something locally in the metro detroit area, I'm in mt. clemens...

1998 Z28 A4

The car has less than 80k miles on it, the engine has less than 30k.

Engine:

2000 GM replacement ls1(stock except ARP rod bolts and head studs)

I bought the engine used after I spun a bearing in the original motor. Stenod Performance did the install. A Katech blueprinted ported and polished oil pump was also added. Phil(NTIMID8 on motownmuscle) tuned the car and it runs awesome.

The transmission is stock as far as I know, but I woudln't be suprised if it had been beefed up in the past. The 4l60e has never given me any issues. The convertor is a TCI SSF 4200 with anti-ballooning plates and a steel stator, the STR is 2.2. A lot of people seem suprised when they find out how big the stall is for a car thats mainly street driven, but it performs great. I drive this to work a lot, and this year i took it on the power tour. the stall has never been an issue in traffic or on the freeway. i've got a 50,000 gvw trans cooler, this thing never got above 170* that entire trip. the fluid is AMSoil synthetic.

last summer i added an aluminum driveshaft and a new tailshaft housing.

the air comes in through a cold air intake(fasttoys i think) and a smooth below, from the throttle body to the oil pan the engine is stock.

Emissions stuff has been removed, along with the a/c and cruise control.

the exhaust is made up of mac midlength headers, and offroad y-pipe with dual cutouts, and 3" single pipe that goes over the axle, through a 3" dynomax race bullet and out a stainless tip. It sounds mean even with the cutouts on, and it sounds unlike most other ls1 cars.

The fuel tank was converted to a 2000 plastic tank by stenods when the engine was swapped, and the fuel filter, pump, and sending unit is less than a month old.

Suspension:
welded in subframe connectors since before i owned the car

kyb agx 8 way adjustable shocks
sam strano lowering/performance springs

i went to the strano springs less than a moth ago. i still have the eibach sportlines for someone who wants that stance, it definetely looked wicked but clearance was sometimes an issue. i have no problems with the monster speedbumps at work with the strano springs.

when stenods did the motor, they also ordered me the spohn chassis mounted adjustable torque arm with the crossmember built for true duals. i took the crossmember into work and modified it to give me added clearance under the car, but it still has plenty of room for the exhaust.

This summer I also added a moser 9" from scott koresky @ driveline solutions. It has a 31 spline detroit locker with 3.90 gears and moser axles. There is no ABS. I really like this setup. when i installed it, i also added sjm manufacturing double adjustable chrome-moly lower control arms with rod ends. i modified the lca relocation brackets from the ten bolt to work with the 9", but i just ordered brackets specifically made for the moser and i will weld those on as soon as i get them.

The rear makes a little whine between 50 and 60 mph due to the body mounted torque arm. i don't mind it, but if its too much a simple swap back to a trans mounted t/a should take care of it. the 9" is still much quieter than the ten bolt, which wasn't in too bad of shape.

the body isn't perfect. from 5 feet out it doesn't look bad, but a close inspection shows that the driver's side lower door needs repainted, there are cracks in the front fascia, and several other blemishes that could be fixed.

the wheels are 17" zr1s that i stripped and painted gunmetal

the tires are nitto 455s in the front and 555rs in the rear, plenty of life in them.

the brakes/pads/rotors have been recently replaced

before the power tour i added some tunes;
it now has a pioneer cd/mp3 player with a front aux. input
i also added alpine s-type speakers to the front door

i wired up the autotrix window mod to keep power to the passenger side window, it works great.

i also custom mounted an aeroforce interceptor gauge to keep an eye on the trans and coolant temp, but this thing does everything! its a scan tool, you can keep an eye on all kinds of data, and you can do hp, 1/4 mile and 0-60 times.

my modest goal for this car was to have a fun summer driver that ran 11s on a stock interal ls1. last fall i ran a 12.2 at 111(1.64 60'), but the shift points were off so it bounced off the limiter a few times going into 2nd and 3rd. i think i would have had it,but i haven't been back to the track. since then i've swapped out the ten bolt for the heavier 9", but i've also added better, lighter springs, the double adj. lcas and the gears are a bit taller.

with the addition of a 90mm tb and intake, and maybe longtube headers(possible now since the sportlines are gone) this should be one of the fastest n/a stock internal ls1 cars in the country.

run 11s and get 21+ mpg

here are some pics, i'll try to get more tonight:

(the pic below still has the old springs and lcas)

$9,600 as it sits

-josh
Old 07-07-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

more pics here:

http://detroitwheeliedog.com/v-web/g...album32?page=1
Old 07-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Josh,
Is that my old car?

-Milo.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by one_wicked_element
Josh,
Is that my old car?

-Milo.
hey milo...yeah, it is

i want to get a nice welding setup and some metalworking equipment for my garage. and i've still got to get the buick going, and as long as i have the camaro its too easy for me to keep working on that instead. i thought i was just going to drive the z28 and work on the electra, but i've pretty much spent all my time and money on the camaro the last few years. so i'm seeing if anyone is interested in it...
-josh
Old 07-13-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

ttt...
Old 07-15-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

up top!
Old 07-18-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump..
Old 07-29-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

finally got the new relocation brackets welded in, the rear suspension is ready for action
Old 07-29-2007, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

i would be all over that if i was back home...i hate the army
Old 07-31-2007, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

intrested in a trade?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/midwestern-members/749015-fs-1994-formula-396-a.html
Old 08-01-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

next level i sent you a pm......it is a little more tempting after reading your description of it in the for sale thread

i'm really mostly interested in a cash or mostly cash deal, although i would consider a jeep wrangler...i'd like to buy some more shop equipment and i've got another car to work on in the garage already..
Old 08-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Launching!

offer still stands on my SS....lemme know