Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Will PAY someone to look at my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Will PAY someone to look at my car

ok i live in brdigeport illinois and my damn transmission has been ascting up for a while now, its shifts perfect just normal driving but when u get on it after ahwile it starts to act up, well when it start it just gets worse and worse....it will just bounce off of the rev limiter and then finally shift and tach goes crazy like it kinda goes back and fourth a lil bit, and it only does this in higher rpm its fine until it gets to about 4500 or 4000 then that when it acts like it hits a wall it pulls hard tell then and it doesnt seem like it has the power that it should....and i have heard it could be 10 million things.

i took it to a transmission shop and he said its not my transmission its my plugs and wires and maybe my opti, well i got a full tune up plugs wires everythign except the opti, it drove fun for like 2 days the started to do this agin the same thing so idk...people have told em it could be that my shorty headers are burning my wires and plugs, my chip has gone bad and messed up the rv limiter, and i have been told it could be a lifter, u can hear a lil ticking noise when u get on it and listen outside the car, i have been toldit could be anythign would someone please help me wiht ym car i will pay.
thanxs
jeremy
Old 07-19-2007, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

oh and my cars mods r shorty headers, ram air style intake and k and n air filter so u dont think its not tune related?
Old 07-20-2007, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

TTT.....no one has any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Just a suggestion that may or may not help....check your fuel pressure with a gauge to see what your pressure is when it is acting up. My car acted the same way and it was a fuel pump.....only happened when it was hot and it did the same things your car is doing. It seemed really sluggish at high rpms and even wanted to back off like it was bouncing off the rev limiter, and I would have to let up off the gas pedal to get it to shift right.....good luck.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

how would i go aout testing it?taking it to a sop and have them hook everything up to it
Old 07-20-2007, 05:27 PM
10 Second Club

On the fuel rail there is a nipple (called a schrader valve) it's located at the back of the intake next to the fuel pressure regulator, there should be a black cap on it....unscrew the cap and put a fuell pressure gauge on it and turn the key forward. Check your pressure, and then start it and check your pressure, and also check your pressure as you give it gas. Check to see how low it drops as you give the car gas, if it gets low thats your problem. Or if it is low at an idle that is your problem. Also if you unhook the vaccuum from the fuel pressure regulator cap it off, and take the rerading it should be about 38-43 PSI give or take a couple PSI....good luck, you can buy a gauge at autozone for 20+ bucks..... also keep a bucket of water to pour on the back part of the engine after you are done checking the pressure. Just in case some runs up front don't pour water on the front part of the engine b/c you can kill the optispark and if you don't know thats 400-500+ dollars....good luck james
Old 07-20-2007, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

thanxs man i appreciate it
Old 07-22-2007, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of a superb mechanic that works on a lot of F-bodies. I don't know where Bridgeport is at but his shop is in Bridgeview. His screen name is Formual WS6, also in my signature.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah check the fuel pressure, when my fuel pump went out I thought it was the opti because the think missed all over and the tack bounced like crazy. I woul floor it and it was gutless then would come alive and smoke the tires loose then gutless. Got it home (was near by) and after that it refused to start. I would have to prime the engine by turning the key back and forth a few times and then it world fire but die.